Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC8 Ride Reviews?

Dear sirs with RC8s,

I've read the magazine reviews and professional reviews but i'm more interested in a real person's thoughts about how it compares to the TLR/TLS. I'm starting to get the itch for more speed than the TLR can handle although I don't want to get rid of the TLR. I'm tempted to get an older GSXR1000 and do some head/cam work, or a newer BMW.

The problem with both of those options is that they make only marginally more torque than the TLR does before 9krpm so the feeling (on paper) wouldn't be that much faster until I'm over 9k which would be speeding like hell on either option.

After looking at the torque curves, the RC8 straight up STOMPS just about any other bike out there in the midrange. Does it feel as ridiculously awesome as the torque curve indicates?

Magazine guys say it feels like it lacks top end power...but thats cuz they just came off of a 200hp bmw... So i'm left wondering, what about in general to people who don't ride 200hp bmws very often, does the RC8 feel sluggish up top? with 170hp i can't imagine it does.

I'm also wondering about KTM reliability. Don't really know anything about them in that respect. I know I could pick up a GSXR and put 100k miles on it without questioning it...can the KTM do that?

Anyway, i'm interested in anything you guys care to share about your sexy bikes.

Re: RC8 Ride Reviews?

One of the owners of a bike shop here, said that out of all the bikes he's ridden, the RC8R was the easiest to go the fastest on. I've yet to have a chance to ride one yet, but I'm hoping that they have a demo days at the shop soon so I can mark that off my list.
    Too much ish to list

Comment

Thats what i want to do. I'm a torque-addict...and love V twins. Everytime i feel like i want a busa gsxr1000 cbrr1rrr or something similar i end up hearing an I4 go by and I lose my interest.

I love the TLR cuz it has a nice solid torque curve throughout the rev range which makes it awesome in the mountains and around town. I'm just assuming the RC8 is like that but on steroids.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerashaw View Post
        Thats what i want to do. I'm a torque-addict...and love V twins. Everytime i feel like i want a busa gsxr1000 cbrr1rrr or something similar i end up hearing an I4 go by and I lose my interest.

I love the TLR cuz it has a nice solid torque curve throughout the rev range which makes it awesome in the mountains and around town. I'm just assuming the RC8 is like that but on steroids.
        Usually not a fan of the I4's, but I LOVED my 06 GSXR1k, thing was a monster and by far my favorite out of all the bikes I've owned. The TL fit my body type better, and even better yet, the RC8R fits me better than the TL, I've just never had the opportunity to test one out. The local bike shop has been having alot of demo days lately though, Suzuki, EBR, just to name a few, where you can come out and test any of the bikes out, and I'm hoping they do a KTM demo days before the summer ends.
        Too much ish to list

Comment

I feel the same way about my 2003 GSX-R1000 that I had. Seat was awesome, it handled like a dream, could hold a 6" wheelie from 20-80mph in one gear...but I got suckered into a race with a 800hp BMW M6...and we went triple the speed limit on the interstate and I decided to sell it before I let my squidly decisions kill me.

That was 6 years ago and now I feel mature enough to handle it again...

Comment

What are the valve-train maintenance intervals and costs?
            You do not talk about Fight Club....

Comment

Valves are like 15K like most everything else and you can do them or the shop can do them. Mine was stone reliable for 3000 track miles. I also rode her on the street for 1000. The bike is very much what a TLR should have evolved to. I put a Bazzaz TC/FI/QS with AFM module on my RC8R and it really helped. I had the EVO4 exhaust and a lot of race parts to make it play well on the track. Yes it is slower than other liter bikes but it turns really well and you can brake way late and hold higher corner speeds. Pick your poison. You must like V-Twins to get any joy from it. They are pretty easy to work on and don't have many flaws. Get it, they have soul and you never see one around.

YMMV
              Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
              2006 Suzuki GSXR750
              2007 Aprilia SXV 550
              G-Town Squid Squad
              sigpic

Comment

So the awesome looking torque curve doesn't translate to a scary pavement ripping monster of a street bike?

Comment

so sexy. I would love to ride a 170whp twin. mmm.

My gallery: http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/vbpic...do=view&g=1164

Comment

Working...
                  X