Getting a Dirt Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Dirt Bike

I have decided to add a dirtbike to the stable Prolly a MX version. I got a good line on a KX 250 two stroke, but Im wondering if thats a good Idea with the four strokes being so low in price already.
    What do you guys think? 2 or 4 stroke? I heard there is a lot of maintenance on the four strokes to keep them running, making the 2 stroke very appealing.
    TRE, Galfer Brake and Clutch Lines w/Dot 5, Airbox Mod, Yosh Exhaust, +2rear sprocket, Sprung for 240, GoPro

Re: Getting a Dirt Bike

Depends on what you will be doing with it. For trail riding I prefer a 4 stroke for the torque to pull trails and hills. But for the track I like the 2 stroke because theres nothing like wringing the neck of a badass dirtbike on a track.
    Mike Rock
    NESBA #506 '98 TLR
    American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

Wont be doing real trail riding. More like a makeshift scramble mx track at a friends farm. jumping, wheelies, and prolly a trip or two to the track. The maintenance is what I dont know about on the 4 strokes. They say you gotta adjust the valves every 3 hours. Is that true?
      TRE, Galfer Brake and Clutch Lines w/Dot 5, Airbox Mod, Yosh Exhaust, +2rear sprocket, Sprung for 240, GoPro

Comment

I never have. I sent one bike back to the dealer for service. It ran like a raped ape when I sent it and ran like shit when I got it back. After that my valve adjustments were never done. If the bike were to sound or feel like it needed one, then I would have done it. But the dealer I used to go to had a shitty service department and the last time I had a dirtbike or atv was a few years ago. Before they stopped making 2 strokes.2 strokes are easy to rebuild. I think the worst thing with them is reed valves. But you can do a full rebuild on a 2 stroke dirtbike in less then an hour. There were people rebuilding them at the track between MOTO's. Someone that has a 4 stroke now should comment on the maintenance of them.
        Mike Rock
        NESBA #506 '98 TLR
        American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

The new gen 4 strokers are a shit load of fun to ride with awesome usable power. Two stroker is the go if you don't want the extra maintenance costs that can come with the 4s. The new thumpers rev at the same rate as the 2s. So that means there are more bits and pieces to replace come rebuild time. My friend owns a Yamaha wrecking buisness which has a fair amount of YZ/WR 400, 426, 450s in it. Most of them suffering from top end failure due to their not so maintenance minded (or cashed up) owners neglecting this area.

Comment

Maybe you can get me a good deal on some parts when I need them. I got such a good deal I couldnt pass it up. A 2003 YZ 450Ffor a grand with new tires chain and sprockets. Also came with the repair manual, saving me some bucks there. I Wanna Ride!

Comment

YZ450, $1000? What a score! Don't worry about spare parts from here. You live in the right country when it comes to motorbike spares. We get ripped hard here! Thats why I buy most of my bits from the States. Even with shipping and exchange rate, they work out cheaper.

Comment

in my experience 2 strokes blow up easy lol

Comment

Working...
                X