Tuono, what's the hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuono, what's the hype?

Delivered a turbo to a customer yesterday on my TL1000s 'fighter "pickup truck".
    The customer said "wow that sounds great you should try my bike see how you like it"
    I said "what do you ride?"
    He said "2009 Tuono"
    I said droolingly "wow! sure, if you don't mind?"
    So I went for a 10 min ride.
    Hmmmmmmmm
    Very well sorted handling and great brakes.......but absolutely zero for fun and grins. The noises it made had me hoping I could shush it somehow because I was getting embarrassed at stop lights. The sound it makes when cracking the throttle reminded me of toys that have recorded electronic engine sounds to help with a child's play experience. It also felt like 20 to 30 percent less power than my bike.
    In a word the ride left me "flat" I was definitely disappointed.

However when I got back on my barking TL I grinned the whole way home.

Aaaand I spent $9000 less.
    Last edited by drH; 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM.
    Run over on: '98 TL1000S
    Riding: '98 TL1000R fighter
    Drooling over: '02 TL1000R

Re: Tuono, what's the hype?

at a guess i'd say it's for the riders who would never be suited to a tl of either flavour, the rsv is the finished article, but our bikes are just the starting point,it's easy to improve a tl but how do you improve the rsv? if you need it to handle better you should have bought the other model,

Comment

Sadly the owner is more of the " rip it up" variety and is looking to sell because of the boredom. He bought it for $11,000 brand new, msrp was $17,000. Hopefully he'll not lose too much.
      Run over on: '98 TL1000S
      Riding: '98 TL1000R fighter
      Drooling over: '02 TL1000R

Comment

I love the tuono, test rode one back in 07 and had a ball on it. Nothing will replace the TLR but i'll definately have a tuono sitting next to it
        Nothing sounds hornier than twins screaming their tits off!

Comment

I rode one of the latest shape standard Tuono's last year on an Aprilia trial-ride day. Didn't like it at all Engine felt asthmatic, and the handling strange - it felt very "tippy" at the front, yet seemed hard to lean over at the same time

Definitely glad to get back on the TL afterwards
          Done: Not enough, but spent too much

In progress: Financial Controller (wife) says Nothing . Hang on, I'm divorced now! Ooh, what can I buy

Wish List: Sentinel

Comment

I guess you rode a different Tuono. I had a 2003 Tuono and it was awesome. It did everything the TL did, but was faster. I have had 3 TLs and none were as good finished as the Tuono was out of the box. I loved it, and spent some time getting her set up. It was more dial-a-wheelie than the TL, it had better suspension and brakes and in general was stronger everywhere.

Of course, the Super Duke is a notch up from there.....

Be Good, Wear Gear, Do Wheelies,

Doug "OldTLSDoug" Basinger
            2006 Suzuki GSXR750
            2007 Aprilia SXV 550
            G-Town Squid Squad
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OldTLSDoug View Post
              I guess you rode a different Tuono. I had a 2003 Tuono and it was awesome. It did everything the TL did, but was faster. I have had 3 TLs and none were as good finished as the Tuono was out of the box. I loved it, and spent some time getting her set up. It was more dial-a-wheelie than the TL, it had better suspension and brakes and in general was stronger everywhere.

Of course, the Super Duke is a notch up from there.....

that's the point i was making, the tuono is the finished article but the tl is just a starting point, i've ridden a rsv, owned a tlr and now own a tls, and you'd need to chuck bucket loads of money at a tl to get it near the rsv, fk they even laquer their decals!!!!!!
              now why did i buy the tl again
              ah because if i wanted a easy life i'd buy a honda

Comment

I think there is a lot of difference between the 03 and 09 Tuono's and RSV's They are very different bikes - I was told they make power in a different way (less low down, more up top, apparently ) and the geometry is different too.

Compared to the TL I found it very tall, and like I said the handling seemed strange to me I will qualify my comments in saying that it was after an hours ride in mixed conditions, and on mixed roads, on a completely standard bike set up by the technicians from Aprilia UK. Obviously a change of tyres/suspension could make a difference
                Done: Not enough, but spent too much

In progress: Financial Controller (wife) says Nothing . Hang on, I'm divorced now! Ooh, what can I buy

Wish List: Sentinel

Comment

Damn that Duke looks SICK Doug!!

Comment

I found my RSV handled well was but a little boring in the engine department.

As far as I could tell the only benefit it had was it's handling, but at the price of "price" and comfort and engine, I had to stick with a TL.
                    It was pretty though and I still miss it's swinging arm.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah man the DuperSuke ... got me all sweaty. Sat on a face-lift Tuono and found it SUPER comfy ... but I'm 6'2" or so ... hoping to find a Duke to sit on too

Comment

I used to work for aprilia UK , and i got sick of seeing the latest model just different decals put a new shock or some other little mod and hey presto a NEW bike But a Tuno is a parts bin special I.E the bin is full of the parts they removed wow we got a new model.
                        sigpic

Comment

comparing a 2009 "developing" model with a 2003 (at best) "deceased" one is a bit unfair.
                          .sigpic
                          "Use the present, create the future" -Pablo.

Comment

i have an 03 Tuono Racing that is actually my streetbike. I wanted something more upright and love twins. That it had OZ wheels and Ohlins all around plus carbon bodywork was a nice side benifit! I had spent so much time setting up the TL for me and already did trackdays with it so I made it a full time track hack.

I think that Tuono is actually the most fun streetbike I have ridden. It needs some gearing change and i put bars that are a little lower but the thing just rips. I can ride it all day long , it turns WAY faster than the TL and is much better at tight twisty stuff or when it gets bumpy and rough you can almost treat it like a super tard. Plus, it power wheelies over every hill....

tuonos.jpg
                            2000 TLR
                            Full yosh system
                            Hyperpro steering damper
                            Ohlins rear shock
                            K&N filter
                            Yosh Re-map
                            Carbon fender
                            Tre
                            Race-Tech front forks (springs and gold valves)
                            520 kit with stealth sprocket
                            1/5 turn throttle
                            EBC Pro-lite Race rotors
                            Attack adjustable tripples
                            Double Bubble light smoke

Comment

Working...
                            X