No announcement yet.

'97 TLS vs other years TLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 97 TLS tested by BIKE MAG made 120bhp at the rear although the claimed crank power was 123bhp.

The most I have seen a prior 97 TLS make is 110bhp standard with some making as little a 104bhp. I hope to get my hands on a low milage 97 model as it will save me a wedge of cash improving the power of a later model. I would say (please correct me if I am wrong) that the 97 model on average produces between 5-7bhp mon than the 98 onward models.
    Ryan, ORIGIN: Irish - from the Gaelic 'Rigan' meaning 'Little King'. A Common Surname since the early 1940s. CHARACTERISTCS: Compassionate, Loyal and Trustworthy. Communicative, Often a good listener and equally a good Advisor. A great Purswader. Enjoys Close Relationships. A Caring Friend.

Knowledge Comes and Goes, But Wisdom Stays and Grows, Thats me (yeh right)
    GT Arena - Home for GT5 Clubs & Leagues
    GT Arena Q1 Events (Spaces Available)
    GT Arena Garage
    MojoMoto

Comment

I would easily agree with that statement 97 +7BHP

I've owned a 97 TLS Full M4 Yosh Box Remap K&N and it made way more HP (Felt like Probably 10 more HP) than my current 99 TLS Full Yosh PC2 K&N and Airbox mod.

Comment

see, it aint just me...the bike mag dyno had to have either been a) off calibration or b)they got a ringer from suzuki

Comment

Aren't there differences between Dyno's? Do they all measure the same? It's not like they have a "perfect" tehy can measure and test to calibarate against is it? (Like in a micrometer set?)
          I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

yes. very true, but on the same dyno on the same day back to back is pretty useful info

Comment

Yeah, I agree, but I don't really care 'bout #'s from 3 places on 5 different days at 3 different elevations, when one day was cold and raining and the other day was Mojave hot...

It's great stuff of bench racing I guess.. I used to be into it all (when I was younder) but now it just doesn't matter to me so much because it all seems relative.
              I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

i agree. it just makes me happy to have lots of hp for cheap. what i really want is more torque. and anyways, the more i ride and get used to my bike, the more i can use the hp....

Comment

Is it true the 97's don't have a timing retard system, thus don't need a TRE?
                  It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example.

Comment

only if they have the original ecu. but almost every one has the recalled newr ecu which is the same on all tls then

Comment

Ah, I see....
                      It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example.

Comment

o got an early '97 TLS (full UK spec) that has only had the first ECU swap Can't say i noticed a huuuuge difference power wise over my mates '98 canadian importbike (which has no fairing or intake trumpets), but mine is a lot smoother and crisper. Any way, whats the odd BHP or two here or there ? the cheapest mod for a lard-ass like me is a diet! (bulk helps the handling though............)
                        Done: Not enough, but spent too much

In progress: Financial Controller (wife) says Nothing . Hang on, I'm divorced now! Ooh, what can I buy

Wish List: Sentinel

Comment

I am jumping in here... I have a 97 TLS that I never dynoed stock, but, I did dyno it with a full yosh system and a K&N (if they make a difference ) It made 114 hp and 72lbs/ft. That was on a model 150 dynojet. I also had it dynoed on a 250 dynojet (kart dyno). Funny, it made 122 hp and around 74lbs/ft. Same exhuast but with the very first power commander. I ran it with and without the powercommander, didn't make the $400 difference it should have, virtually nothing. That's Canadian dollars by the way. So now I have done the motor a bit and make 10 hp more throughout the rpm range and 15 lbs/ft at say 4000 rpm and say 8 lbs/ft more at peak for a total of 122 hp and 80lbs/ft of torque. I am using the TLR cams in the built motor so I have a set of 97 TLS cams for sale Starting bids at $500. No just kidding, but how can I measure them up on the bench, I will measure my 97 TLS cams if someone tells me how to do it on the bench. I am not sure how to find the duration of the cam without it being in the bike. I have a caliper and a dial guage with a degree wheel. We can end this argument. Oh ya, Trevor has a 98 TLS with a full Hindle and a techlusion that makes almost as much as my 97 did with the full yosh. Cycle Canada raced a TLS very early in 97 that accually made less HP with the full yosh. That was proven on a dyno before and after. They didn't have the PC I out yet which could have caused a lower reading with the system.
                          Spank that Twin !!!

Comment

I almost forgot, mine has the ecu update and I did build a tre or aastree or whatever its called and no I didn't notice a difference. I built mine with the 15k resistor and the relay for neutral and a on/off switch so I could feel the difference. It was a waste of time for me, not saying it doesn't work but it didn't work on my bike. I have a PC II with a different map than anything out there. The PC II won't let you adjust the timing below 4000 rpm. I did measure the resistance in each gear and it was different in each one.
                            Screw it, I just ride the piss out of it anyway. I have a good 10 or so horse on my friends TLS but I bet his bike would be faster on a track. Mine is so abrupt and pulls the wheel so hard. His is way smoother.
                            Spank that Twin !!!

Comment

The ECU's did make a difference, I remember Ian Thom did some comparisons by just swapping various ECU's in & out and it made a difference on his bike. The early (non uprated) ECU made the most HP's, although a small difference.
                              Most sports require one ball, REAL sports require two....

'00 750SS
                              '82 RD350LC
                              '00 ALFA 156 TS
                              '97 TL1000S
                              For now its got- CBR900RR master cylinder, Tornado damper thingy, Racetech springs and valves, Homemade undertail, Flushmount flickers, Sigma Bike speedo, Tornado Slip-ons, Up three on rear sprocket, Modified steering damper.......

Comment

the original ecu's were crap at idling (worse than the newer ones somehow) and stalled frequently while riding...

Comment

Working...
                                X