• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSGDiller
    replied
    Re: '97 TLS vs other years TLS

Originally posted by aarontl1000s View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knew the differences between the '97 TLS and the later TLS's
    The heads are made for more topend power on 97. On 98+ the flow are made for lowend/middle end power.

I real that means that 97 have 3-4 more Bwhp on top, but 98+ has 1-3Bbwhp
    more at fx 5000 rpm U cann see the difference on hot thw heads works in topend on on this chart! Its my 97 engine vs 01 engine. Almost same setup but other cams in 01 engine, so u cannot compare the area from 15000rpm-8000rpm. But U can see what the the difference on heads is doing at 9000rpm.

Red line is my TLS 1997 with
    - full akrapovic
    - airbox mod with lid off
    - KN filter
    - TLR bellmouths 1,5cm
    - Pair system removed
    - IN cams from a TLR EXcam is old TLS IN repressed (Thx to Bernhard!!)
    - 00 TLS engine

Blue line is my TLS 1997
    - full akrapovic
    - airbox mod
    - KN filter
    - TLR bellmouths 2,5cm
    - standard cams and standard 1997 engine

Leave a comment:

• bencurtis
    replied
    Re: '97 TLS vs other years TLS

i have a 97 tls, reg'd in 98. it has the two wire tre, crap damper bracket, and a pair valve . earlier in this thread it said 97 no pair valve. wtf is my bike then

Leave a comment:

• horkn
    replied
    the original ecu's were crap at idling (worse than the newer ones somehow) and stalled frequently while riding...

Leave a comment:

• RichardTL
    replied
    The ECU's did make a difference, I remember Ian Thom did some comparisons by just swapping various ECU's in & out and it made a difference on his bike. The early (non uprated) ECU made the most HP's, although a small difference.

Leave a comment:

• Kazz
    replied
    I almost forgot, mine has the ecu update and I did build a tre or aastree or whatever its called and no I didn't notice a difference. I built mine with the 15k resistor and the relay for neutral and a on/off switch so I could feel the difference. It was a waste of time for me, not saying it doesn't work but it didn't work on my bike. I have a PC II with a different map than anything out there. The PC II won't let you adjust the timing below 4000 rpm. I did measure the resistance in each gear and it was different in each one.
    Screw it, I just ride the piss out of it anyway. I have a good 10 or so horse on my friends TLS but I bet his bike would be faster on a track. Mine is so abrupt and pulls the wheel so hard. His is way smoother.

Leave a comment:

• Kazz
    replied
    I am jumping in here... I have a 97 TLS that I never dynoed stock, but, I did dyno it with a full yosh system and a K&N (if they make a difference ) It made 114 hp and 72lbs/ft. That was on a model 150 dynojet. I also had it dynoed on a 250 dynojet (kart dyno). Funny, it made 122 hp and around 74lbs/ft. Same exhuast but with the very first power commander. I ran it with and without the powercommander, didn't make the $400 difference it should have, virtually nothing. That's Canadian dollars by the way. So now I have done the motor a bit and make 10 hp more throughout the rpm range and 15 lbs/ft at say 4000 rpm and say 8 lbs/ft more at peak for a total of 122 hp and 80lbs/ft of torque. I am using the TLR cams in the built motor so I have a set of 97 TLS cams for sale Starting bids at $500. No just kidding, but how can I measure them up on the bench, I will measure my 97 TLS cams if someone tells me how to do it on the bench. I am not sure how to find the duration of the cam without it being in the bike. I have a caliper and a dial guage with a degree wheel. We can end this argument. Oh ya, Trevor has a 98 TLS with a full Hindle and a techlusion that makes almost as much as my 97 did with the full yosh. Cycle Canada raced a TLS very early in 97 that accually made less HP with the full yosh. That was proven on a dyno before and after. They didn't have the PC I out yet which could have caused a lower reading with the system.

Leave a comment:

• tls-moose
    replied
    o got an early '97 TLS (full UK spec) that has only had the first ECU swap Can't say i noticed a huuuuge difference power wise over my mates '98 canadian importbike (which has no fairing or intake trumpets), but mine is a lot smoother and crisper. Any way, whats the odd BHP or two here or there ? the cheapest mod for a lard-ass like me is a diet! (bulk helps the handling though............)

Leave a comment:

• Wondertwin
    replied
    Ah, I see....

Leave a comment:

• horkn
    replied
    only if they have the original ecu. but almost every one has the recalled newr ecu which is the same on all tls then

Leave a comment:

• Wondertwin
    replied
    Is it true the 97's don't have a timing retard system, thus don't need a TRE?

Leave a comment:

• horkn
    replied
    i agree. it just makes me happy to have lots of hp for cheap. what i really want is more torque. and anyways, the more i ride and get used to my bike, the more i can use the hp....

Leave a comment:

• TLSBill
    replied
    Yeah, I agree, but I don't really care 'bout #'s from 3 places on 5 different days at 3 different elevations, when one day was cold and raining and the other day was Mojave hot...

It's great stuff of bench racing I guess.. I used to be into it all (when I was younder) but now it just doesn't matter to me so much because it all seems relative.

Leave a comment:

• horkn
    replied
    yes. very true, but on the same dyno on the same day back to back is pretty useful info

Leave a comment:

• TLSBill
    replied
    Aren't there differences between Dyno's? Do they all measure the same? It's not like they have a "perfect" tehy can measure and test to calibarate against is it? (Like in a micrometer set?)

Leave a comment:

• horkn
    replied
    see, it aint just me...the bike mag dyno had to have either been a) off calibration or b)they got a ringer from suzuki

Leave a comment:

Working...
X