C14 Dealer Mode Error, Tps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C14 Dealer Mode Error, Tps

WELL WENT FOR A QUIT RIDE TODAY AND FOUND THAT ANOTHER ERROR CODE CAME UP, C14-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. WHAT DO I DO TO FIX THIS? BIKE JUST STALLS OUT WHEN AT A STOP AND RUNS SHITTY. I DO HAVE A TRE ON THE BIKE.
    I know nothing about bikes.

Glad to see it wasnt the water doing it. I am sure steve will post the specs so that yuo can test the TPS!
    http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
    My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

A TPS can fail for sure. If all your connections look / are OK then it probably is the TPS.

Can you drive a multimeter? With it on the ohms setting and the TPS unplugged you should be able to get a variable resistance between two of the terminals through the whole throttle range.

It's going to be too hard to explain at 4.00am and after 15 cans exactly how to check it now, but I might have a shot at it tomorrow if you haven't got it sorted.

I'm pretty sure if the ECU gets a TPS fault, it runs as if the TPS is at Full Throttle, no wonder it runs shitty and wont idle. Ever set it and experimented? I have surprise, surprise, if you wind it fully forward it is hard to keep the bike running.

I'm guessing you'd better start searching for a new TPS...Me personally, I wouldn't bother with a second hand one, but then again I don't know what a new one goes for.
      "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

You beat me Seca!

From the manual:

The throttle opening is fixed to full open position. Ignition timing is also fixed.

If you have a manual, the testing proceedure is pretty comprehensive, 4-49 of the TLS manual, testing would be the same for the TLS / TLR.
        "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

thanks

Thanks guys. I can definitely say I'm not mechanically inclined. When I set it in dealer mode the bar is in the middle. Wouldn't that indicate that the tps is in the correct position?

It doesn't do it at all times. Only after riding for about 10 minutes. Or after warming up.

Comment

Middle sounds right, does it show the middle even with the C14 error code?

Comment

i'll be back

I'll have to go for a quick ride again to see if it does. Another excuse to go ride.
              Hey steve have another one, and stay awake for a wee bit more.

Comment

?

c14 with bar right in the middle. not high and not low.
                Any suggestions?

Comment

OK, I'd say ignore the bar with the C14 error, must be a default as the manual does say with a C14 fault it will default to full throttle position.

Actually the bible says to do bugger all unless you have C00 and are at normal operating temperature.

Comment

HELP ME!!!!!

God I wish it was just the water.

C14 error.
                    Problem occurs when after riding for about 5-10 minutes, f1 error code starts blinking. Bike starts stumbling (at speeds of 55-75) off and on. Then when at a light it sometimes cuts off.
                    I haveinstalled the tre on the bike and idle is lower at about 1000 when in neutral.

Someone please assist me with this. I want to be able to do this early tomorrow. This weekend in Baltimore is the nicest it has been all year. I'm begging here people.

Comment

Sound like the TPS problem is a heat related one, you really need to check it with a multimeter when it is hot. Or take a gamble and just buy one from ron ayres or something and fit it.

(FWIW, my GPS is stuffed, bt only plays up when the bike is warm too, that's why I don't use it anymore.)

Comment

Steve you are the man.

I don't think its heat related, only b/c WHen I let the bike sit and run, and get hot, the f1 light doesn't come on.

Comment

OK, so maybe the TPS has a bad part of the track where the wiper doesn't make contact properly and the Fault comes up when the signal is missing for x amount of time, therefore at idle with the wiper all the way down it is fine.

The faulty part of the TPS might be right where you hold the throttle at cruising speed. I'd say once the ECU goes into fault mode, even when the TPS is then sending a correct voltage level it stays in the fault mode until it is powered down.

You might be able to confirm this by riding at a steady low speed for 10 minutes and see what happens, then at your normal speed and see what happens, then at a higher speed and see what happens?

Comment

I'll try and explain it with this image, the vertical arrow is the variable signal that goes to the ECU. One side of the zigzag is say 5V the other side is 0V.

So when the arrow is right up one end, the zero end, the ECU knows the throttle is closed, when it is right up the other end the ECU knows the throttle is WOT.

The picture could be used to describe where the wiper sits at 1/2 throttle. Now if it is loosing contact with the zigzag at some point the ECU will loose its signal from the TPS.

You could even try just going from closed to WOT with the engine off really quickly a few dozen times to see if it might clear it up temporarily so you can go on your ride. If it does fix it, I doubt if it will be a permanent fix.

Comment

neighbor

Steve, first I would like to say that:
                              1) Dam I wish you were my neighbor
                              2) Dam you've been sticking with me regarding this topic
                              3) You must know your shiat, your the only one replying on the topic.
                              If you come to the states, I'll treat you to dinner at a nice american style restaurant.
                              How about, maybe Outback?

Comment

Working...
                              X