The FREE TL1000S project...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FREE TL1000S project...

Its been over 10 years since I registered on the forum, but finally l got a TL. A friend of a friend had a 1998 model, that had been sitting for years, outside under a tarp.

He had no intention of getting it running and in the condition it was it would be impossible to sell, so he gave it to me for free!

Obviously there were issues, it had been sitting with almost no gas, so the tank was full of rust, tires cracked etc.

Will post pictures once I get her running, which I am struggling with at the moment.

Since I had it I've done the following:
    - Changed oil, oil filter and spark plugs
    - Treated and sealed the rusty tank
    - Changed the fuel pump and mounted the fuel filter outside the tank
    - Check error codes i dealer mode = c00 - NO FAULT

The bike has done bout 18000miles/30000km.

But the bike won't start, the fuel pump fires up, the external filter fills up with gas, but nothing happens, just keep churning ...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

A video:

Battery is new and fully charged, forgot to mention that.

Comment

Plugs?
      ... Listen to Six5 ...

Comment

Take lots of photos and create a new thread about your rebuild.

Yes:
        1) check for spark
        2) check for fuel at return line.
        3) check TB is clean and clear.
        4) check vacuum lines and TB boots. It wouldn't surprise me if you have cracks there too.

Does it smell like gas when you try to turn it over? Have you tried to spray a little starter fluid to see if she fires?
        Brainless AT earthling DOT net
        "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
        Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
        Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
        Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Probably the injectors are clogged ?

Comment

Originally posted by avanti View Post
            I...so he gave it to me for free!
            Awesome! Very nice friend. I hope you are able to get it going.

Comment

As Brainless posted, use some starter fluid (Aerostart) I fired a TLS project up the other day after many nights of tinkering. I had spark and fuel but it wouldn't fire. I squirted starter fluid into the airbox and cranked away, after 5 or so seconds she coughed and ran for about 2 seconds on the fluid. I did this about 5 times then I kept spraying whilst it was running and eventually it caught on and kept running on fuel. Just needed a helping hand!

Comment

Its alive!!!!!!!!!!!! And purrs like a kitten!

Earlier I had tried to spray into the air intakes on the side of the airbox, apparently that wasn't enough, so now I removed the airfilter and shot the spray straight down into each throttle body. After about 2 tries if fired up! I let it run until it reached about 105 degrees Celsius, turned it off and fired it up again.

I don't use starter fluid but highly flammable toilet air freshener!

Feels good, now I need to do the brakes and make her pretty!

Comment

Way to bring it back to Life!!!!!
                  www.sportbiketracktime.com
                  Southern Division Coach

Comment

I am very relieved! Since I had never heard it run before I wasn't sure what to hope for... The fact that it now starts right away each time I try it, feels amazing.

Today I also changed the coolant. The brake calipers are sticking so I need to deal with that and and change the brake fluid.

Comment

Now that she runs, change the oil again and inspect the oil and oil plug for metal residue.

I would also run a full can of Amsoil Power foam (or similar) through the intake to clean out the valves and piston.
                      Brainless AT earthling DOT net
                      "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
                      Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
                      Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
                      Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Its time for an update!

The bike is close to road worthy, engine purrs like a kitten, starts every time.

The footpegs/levers are aftermarket, so the Rear brake light switch linkage is gone, I want to install the hydraulic switch instead

before I order can anyone confirm the thread pitch? 10mm x 1.25 or 10mm x 1.00?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0...engtip-20&th=1

Thanks,
                        JK

Comment

Should be 1.25

When you said the external filter fills up? Please confirm you are using a metal filter for fuel injection, not a plastic see thru for carbs.
                          Vanzuki.com - Click the banner below, to see what I have for your bike.

Comment

Time for an update:

Got the rear brake light switch, it was 10mmx1.00, installed it and it worked perfectly.

After that was done I took it for a proper test ride and got it up to temperature, and it started to leak, a lot.

With advise from the other TL forum I examined all the possibilities and its leaking from the clutch cover, the bolts on the lower part.

Even if mine is a 98, I think the issue is the one described in the TLZone thread below, because the metal "inserts" in the bolt holes in a few places were too "long", did as described in the thread, fired it up again and it helped but its still leaking...

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequen...-fix-them.html

Got a bit fed up, don't think I will try to fix it again, more tempted to get a cover from you Vandriver, might send you a pm or a mail later. I am a bit upset that suzuki decided to use a plastic cover, I don't really get a quality vibe from the TL, gives me a cheap feeling. My 1988 GSXR750 and 1995 GSXR1100 feel like they are much better put together with higher quality materials.

Shame because the engine is spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                            X