Announcement

Collapse

New Sponsor

TLPlaneteers! Please welcome our new sponsor Pashnit. His forum is now up: https://www.tlplanet.com/forum/motor...um/pashnit-com

And don't forget to check out his gigantic web site!
See more
See less

Tl1000S 1998 fork noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tl1000S 1998 fork noise

Hi everyone, new to this forum.
    I recently put a TL1000S (1998) fork on my Bandit 1200 (2001).
    I rebuilt the forks with all new seals, bushes and oil before fitting and the forks looked perfect and straight, I carefully followed the suzuki service manual when rebuilding the forks.
    There is a knock sound that comes from the forks sometimes, it sounded to me that the forks were topping out so I increased the spring preload and turned to max the the rebound damping, this helped a little but the noise is still there sometimes.
    Any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Dot.

The S is a fairly light bike...325 pounds if memory serves me right...then add the weight of the rider to that...now I do not know what a 1200 bandit weighs but if I remember right their steel framed right? It could be that the stock springs in the S forks are too soft for the weight of both the bandit and you so even though you have them cranked up its possible their still topping out from time to time depending on how hard their working...

Comment

For the sake of clarity in this discussion, we need to be reminded of a couple definitions.

When a suspension unit is "topped out" it means the fork (or shock) is fully extended.

When a suspension unit is "bottomed out" it means the fork (or shock) is fully compressed.

January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Originally posted by Six5 View Post

For the sake of clarity in this discussion, we need to be reminded of a couple definitions.

When a suspension unit is "topped out" it means the fork (or shock) is fully extended.

When a suspension unit is "bottomed out" it means the fork (or shock) is fully compressed.

You have a point...my old feabil brain always thinks about the fork legs hitting the TOP of the fork tubes which is why I stated it the way I did but you are correct Tony the forks are at the bottom of their stroke...I misstated it...

Comment

OK, I will look into it, thanks for your input.

Comment

If you know the weight of the bike and rider, use the calculator on the RaceTech site to figure out what kind of spring rate you should be looking at vs what comes stock in the forks.

From what I see, the TLS came with 0.74kg/mm springs at a bike weight of 421lbs and the Bandit 1200 comes in at 485lbs (RT site doesn't list the bandit front spring rates). I always felt that the S forks were always undersprung, but then again I'm pretty heavy at 225lbs in full gear. Add in another 65lbs of bike from the bandit over the S and you are definitely looking at overwhelmed springs.

Pulled my data from
            https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/su...dit_s_2001.php

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...1000s%2097.htm
            http://www.racetech.com/ProductSearc...000S/1997-2001
            READY TO LAUNCH
            sigpic

Comment

steering head bearings?
              Run over on: '98 TL1000S
              Riding: '98 TL1000R fighter
              Drooling over: '02 TL1000R

Comment

I checked the steering head bearings and they seem fine.
                Is there another bike out there with the same size springs but stiffer? (cheap second hand springs)
                Or would I need new springs?
                Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Conor View Post
                  I checked the steering head bearings and they seem fine.
                  Is there another bike out there with the same size springs but stiffer? (cheap second hand springs)
                  Or would I need new springs?
                  Thanks,
                  First things first...you need to sort out what the problem actually is first...to check it for bottoming out is pretty simple just put a zip tie around the fork leg where the leg goes into the tube...as you ride it the tube will push the zip tie down the leg and tell you how much the front suspension is working...and if it's bottoming out or if it's a different issue...

Comment

OK, I will do that, it's raining non stop here over the last week so It might be some time before I test it.

Comment

Working...
                    X