Clutch Bleed Issues. Lots of Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Bleed Issues. Lots of Issues

Its been about 3 years since my bike was really ridden. I've pulled it out occasionally to run it but like all things carborated, it needs to be used or it dies.

So last few weeks I cleaned her up, found a few corroded connectors in the harness, replaced a leaky fuel pump gasket, changed oil etc etc. Finally it was ready to run her.

Clutch felt ok so I didn't realize it was an issue until it almost jerked out from under me like your wife when you call her the wrong name...

Back to the garage. Open the reservoir and its got a bit of sludgy old fluid in it. I clean it out and manually bleed the line. No luck. I buy a vacuum bleeder and no luck. I open, clean and lube the internals of the master cylinder and no luck. I took off the slave cylinder and pushed the piston down to force out as much air and fluid as possible, reinstall it and try to bleed. No luck.

After re-installng the slave the lever felt mushy. like the line was all air. I bled it best I could and it now feels hard as a rock. Still no disengaging the clutch. But the level is hard as a rock.

Next step is a new slave and internals for the master.

Is there something to know about this process that might make me go "oh, that would have been nice to know..." or is there more likely than not something wrong with my master/slave pistons?

Thanks as always.
    "And the sound? Your ears are going to need condoms."

My Next R

Originally posted by schaefs View Post
    I......
    After re-installng the slave the lever felt mushy. like the line was all air. I bled it best I could and it now feels hard as a rock. Still no disengaging the clutch. ......
    ...or is there more likely than not something wrong with my master/slave pistons?
    Since the lever pull is now hard and not squishy, the air has been removed from the line. However, you say the clutch still does not disengage.

Since you had the master cylinder disassembled, verify that the little push pin that engages the MC piston is properly seated in the brass pivot in the clutch lever.

Also, if the clutch actually is remaining engaged with a stiff lever pull, then something is not right with the clutch pack. Sometimes when a wet clutch sits too long the plates and disks stick together. The entire clutch pack may be free between the pressure plate and basket, but the plates are stuck together, so it won't allow the engine to spin independent of the transmission. Usually, putting it in gear when idling will knock them free with a jolt - as you described.

It is an easy check to pull the clutch cover to verify if the pressure plate is moving when the lever is pulled.

If the lever cannot be pulled at all, then there is something awry in the mechanical order of things. Is the spacer on the one slave cylinder bolt present to keep the cylinder square to the pushrod - and not canted at an angle?

January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

The spacer is still there.

Up until the clutch got hard as a rock it sounded like it had a squish in the master. Like it was pushing air or something. Now that seems to be gone but the clutch is stiff. So maybe the air was trapped and now no air means no give?

The clutch wont disengage fully but it seemed (it could be my imagination) that the clutch was close to disengaging because when the lever was pulled I could push the wheel through the friction of the clutch. Now its rock hard. I think I'll replace the internals of the master for $20 just to check that off the list. Then replace the slave if needed, then come back and check the plates in the clutch.

Thanks for your input Six5!

My Next R

Comment

Make sure that you are installing the spacers where they need to be so the slave doesn't flex out of parallel with the centerline of the bike. If it's deflecting, it's not actuating the clutch. When I got my bike, the PO put the long spacer on the clutch pushrod instead of the long bolt.
        READY TO LAUNCH
        sigpic

Comment

Speaking with a local hand guy in more depth he was willing to bet good money that my clutch plates are stuck together after sitting so long. I'll go ahead and rebuild the master then pull the clutch cover off and check the plates. Plus it gives me a good excuse to install my VanDriver clutch cover...

My Next R

Comment

Originally posted by schaefs View Post
            Speaking with a local hand guy in more depth he was willing to bet good money that my clutch plates are stuck together after sitting so long. I'll go ahead and rebuild the master then pull the clutch cover off and check the plates. Plus it gives me a good excuse to install my VanDriver clutch cover...
            I'm just going to put this out there...

your local guy has nothing on Six5.

he already mentioned the plates being stuck... (and a fix)

What I'm saying is, don't waste money paying anyone for the free knowledge Tony supplies....

and Tony don't respond and be coy.
            ... Listen to Six5 ...

Comment

Working...
            X