Compression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression

I know the compression on the r is 11.7:1 so my question is what gasket thickness do I have to use to drop comp to 10:1 or even 9.8:1? Thanks
    If you hit it you gotta hold it!!!!!...or not.

It is simple math. Just look at the swept volume (998cm) vs. the compression ratio, and calculate the residual volume (what is left when the piston is at TDC).

Then you can calculate how much bigger the residual volume needs to be, and from this you can calculate the gasket thickness.
    TLR '99 (2005 MotoGP Paintjob) - +3mm pistons, flowed heads, PCIII, Dymag wheels, Vandrivers stuff, XtremeGP underseat exhaust and a ton of other goodies.

TLR #2: The ICE Motorsports TLR - Penske rear shock - Gixxer1000 K7 fork - Matrix M4 Steering Damper - carbon fiber bodywork - carbon airbox - ITG Airfilter - PCII - Full M4 Stainless Race system - Braided hoses - 520 chain conversion - Metzeler Racetec K1/K2 slicks - Metzeler RaceTec Rain K1

Comment

Here is the math:

Stock CR = 11.7:1
      Swept volume = 998ccm
      Stock residual volume = Swept Volume / (CR-1) = 998 / (11,7-1) = 93.3 ccm

New CR = 10:1
      New residual volume = 998 / (10-1) = 110.9 ccm

New Gasket volume = Old gasket vol + 110.9ccm

Gasket volume is = PI x radius x radius x height
      TLR '99 (2005 MotoGP Paintjob) - +3mm pistons, flowed heads, PCIII, Dymag wheels, Vandrivers stuff, XtremeGP underseat exhaust and a ton of other goodies.

TLR #2: The ICE Motorsports TLR - Penske rear shock - Gixxer1000 K7 fork - Matrix M4 Steering Damper - carbon fiber bodywork - carbon airbox - ITG Airfilter - PCII - Full M4 Stainless Race system - Braided hoses - 520 chain conversion - Metzeler Racetec K1/K2 slicks - Metzeler RaceTec Rain K1

Comment

not Quite right

CR is total volume divided by ( total volume - swept volume )

So the initial calculation formula is incorrect.

the formula for the gasket thickness is correct.

your principles of calculation require a similar manipulation of the correct CR formula.
        www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
        But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

sorry gasket thickness for volume is correct

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.

Comment

So my gasket thickness is what because honestly I can't figure it out!

Comment

depends on the head volume...
              seriously there are elements to this that are completely unique.
              If you cant get a handle on the process then give to someone else or dont go there

Comment

If you were getting proper advice they would have told you that spacing a lumpy piston is bad news.
                using a flat top with no spacer
                or better still a dished top piston is the correct way to go.

Comment

Forgive me for wanting to see if what I come up with was right thanks anyway. There's always one.
                  Last edited by Jman; 11-11-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

indeed .
                    try reading what is at the bottom of each of my posts

Comment

No argument from me stu, I was just seeking information on the tl engine and I know you know the motor. That's all.

Comment

bottom line is its not an ideal candidate for turbo or supercharger for many reasons.
                        doing either will effect an improvement in power but in a much less than ideal way.
                        look at how any manufacturer goes about making a turbo / supercharged variant of its motors and you will get an insight into the correct way to go about it.

Comment

Thanks stu

Comment

This guy whacked turbos on stock engined TL1000Rs... Been quiet for a long time though, so they may of both blown up by now He has links to his youtube vids there too, so you might be able to get hold of him and find out.

'97 TL1000S Streetfighter 'Evil Twin' - BBOTM May 2015 - click here for full colour wiring diagrams

Comment

Yea crash sirallony has gone quiet, plus he has to many projects that he is working on. Total props for doing it but I plan to take it quite a few steps further!! The complete build, step by step the end result, the dyno & tune and most of all the follow up! He built it (at least that's just what I think) just to say he has a turbo on a tl. Cool I get that but if your gonna put a turb on a bike then USE IT! Why do it just to commute on it. And racing a stock sv1000 for comparison to a turbo tlr that's like a stock neon racing an rx7 I will be running 1/8s and a few 1/4s. No street use, all track. Tuned through the ecu so no power commander for me plus it's cheaper going through the ecu that way you don't have to worry about the pc5 acting up cause it does happen. No boring no stroking and no after market parts ( cp pistons cp rods) all sv and tlr parts.( minus having falicon check out my sv crank that's it. Not trying for three hundred horsepower because let's face it, the engine won't live long at all. I want it to be like suzuki built it!!!! Im just lookn for low to mid 200s. Not to much to ask and with time and patience this will be achieved. Be looking forward to seeing the Tl1000rr (race ready) model by yours truly

Comment

Working...
                              X