Your starting routine........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your starting routine........

Ever since I've had my TLR I've struggled to find a good starting routine. My previous inline 4's all started first pop, within 2 seconds of hitting the starter, no choke required.

The TLR is a different beast, atm I turn it on, wait for the fuel pump to finish priming then push the starter, (no throttle or choke) after about 2 seconds of cranking I give it two 1/4throttle turns on the gas. I continue cranking for about another 3 to 4 seconds after this until it coughs, but doesn't quite fire. I then wait about 10 seconds before hitting the starter again and usually it fires up. If I keep cranking after it coughs it will literally foul a plug and refuse to start! The other night I was going to the speedway and took the bike, it didn't start cleanly but I got it going and off I went. First part of the journey was stop start and I stalled it at a set of lights whilst taking off!!!! After it fired again I was down to one plug, on and off. I got into a more flowing higher speed section and it all came good. 5 hours later I started the bike no probs and rode home.

So whats your start routine I might mention my bike is bog stock, no mods apart from a tre and full yosh system, wireing loom is in good condition, and hasn't been butchered or modified that I have found so far.

You need to try the + mod. Made mine a one try starter almost every time.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

No Fast Idle..... Hit it and when it pops start revving it over and over and over and over until about 75 then let it idle up to 150 then good to go....
      www.sportbiketracktime.com
      Southern Division Coach

Comment

Do the plus mod. My TLR has no fast idle lever anymore and starts with only the tiniest of throttle movement while cranking if its cold out. It has the plus mod. The TLS without plus mod needs lever and very careful procedure to keep it running till warm. It fouls very easily and does the one plug thing with coughing and barking. After owning 8 or 9 Tls of either sort, the plus moded ones are easy starters and the un-modded are a bitch.
        Run over on: '98 TL1000S
        Riding: '98 TL1000R fighter
        Drooling over: '02 TL1000R

Comment

I've heard the + Mod mentiöned heaps on here, but haven't done it, I've just put up with the poor starting capabilities and have eventually got it started. I did a search for"" + mod" and plus mod" and searched through the resources for the mod but can't find anything concrete about it. Can someone give me the basics to jog my memory........please I'm getting old..........

Comment

It involves installing a relay to supply full battery voltage to the coils. It was also dyno proven to add 2-3 HP due to the hotter spark.
            "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

I leave fast idle fully on, and hit the fuel prime button. I then hold the starter button for about 2 seconds. The bike then starts and i turn off the fast idle once engine temp hits 80F. The bike will run without the fast idle on at starting, but its recommended to have it on.

Before installing a brand new fuel pump, none of that was possible. Bike would take 30 seconds to start, instead of 5.

+mod, charging, sv 1000 coils.
              2001 TLR.

Originally posted by vandriver
              Go back to the Zone, I'm not there, you're not here.
              No banning of me here, only me stomping your ass here.
              Originally posted by The Ring-In
              and now you join an elite group of world champion racers.

Comment

Fit a UK handlebar switch with the extra switch to allow the headlights to be turned off when starting engine !

Even on a new battery the starter motor and headlights use all the battery power and leave nothing left to create a spark and power the injectors.
                sigpic
                TLS for Supercharged.....................

TLOTM Nov 04, Bitchin' Bike Contest July 07, July 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits

Comment

Tomorrow I will pull the headlight fuse before attempting to start it. I'll see if taking that out of the equation makes a difference. I also have some Sv1000 coils sitting in shed...........

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Fit a UK handlebar switch with the extra switch to allow the headlights to be turned off when starting engine !

Even on a new battery the starter motor and headlights use all the battery power and leave nothing left to create a spark and power the injectors.
                    A wild Sam appears!!!

How have you been?
                    2001 TLR.

Originally posted by vandriver
                    Go back to the Zone, I'm not there, you're not here.
                    No banning of me here, only me stomping your ass here.
                    Originally posted by The Ring-In
                    and now you join an elite group of world champion racers.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Thrill, is this the Sam we all knew, is he back

So last night I pulled the headlight fuse and cranked away, it cranked for about 8 seconds coughed, then fired up. Normally after coughing I would have to stop cranking as it would flood. So at this stage you could tentatively say that taking the headlight out of the starting power draw does help (But Doh! why wouldn't it!) I will do the same again today and see if it starts as it did yesterday.

Comment

image_28377.jpgFB_IMG_1472587892340.jpg I've never been away lol, just keeping a low profile as had a 4 year divorce/solicitor/court, house move, job move twice, raced the Hayabusa trike for 2 years with my new partner passengering me and another crash start of last year and broke both my hands and her elbow and wrist on opposite arms lol, so pretty normal really
                        Last edited by Sam; 01-12-2018, 02:01 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll be back on my TL racing this year, I can only hurt myself then lol
                          sigpic

Comment

glad to see back full throttle!
                            Brainless AT earthling DOT net
                            "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
                            Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
                            Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
                            Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Originally posted by V2 View Post
                              Tomorrow I will pull the headlight fuse before attempting to start it. I'll see if taking that out of the equation makes a difference. I also have some Sv1000 coils sitting in shed...........
                              If you do the coils, you might as well do the +mod.
                              Brainless AT earthling DOT net
                              "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
                              Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
                              Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
                              Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Working...
                              X