Motor swap...Crank breather ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor swap...Crank breather ??

Got a few extra days before taking off again and got enough balls to battle the freezing temperatures with a bullshit little heater and try and get the new motor in before next week. If I get my M4 back from ceramic coater before the weekend I might even have it running lol..
    So on my performance motor PO got crank breather outlets coming from both heads to where the canister used to be and one large breather hose from the rear cylinder area. I don't know what he had done from there as it wasn't installed in the bike when I got it.

What is the best way to set this up. There needs to be some sort of one way check valve system I'm pretty sure of that but not sure how to go about it other than just going with stock venting system. Any advice from you experts out there??
    Next project in corner patiently standing by lol...

Thanks
    V...

thumbnail_20180305_164231.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ThumpinA2Z; 03-05-2018, 10:23 PM.

I'm no expert, but below are a couple images Sam posted years ago. They may give you an idea of what needs to be done to make your venting system work. Of course, being TLR engines, the more modern version applies, but the '97 TLS image demonstrates the failings when it is done wrong.

In the OEM configuration, the "one way" valve is in the crankcase in the "V" of the engine. With your engine being modified...... who knows?

98onwards-oil-breather-diag by Tony Six5, on Flickr

97-oil-breather-diag by Tony Six5, on Flickr

Even though the diagram shows the oil mist returning to the sump, the '97 TLS would often end up with quite a bit of oil in the air box. Even my '98 TLS would deposit oil there before I switched to the upgraded vent collector.

Sam also has another thread on one of these forums where he detailed the changes he made in some of his engines to improve (fix) the crankcase venting.
    January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Thanks Six5...I guess I better take a close look and maybe try and got hold of the PO.

Comment

image_28496.jpgimage_28497.jpgimage_28498.jpgimage_28499.jpg

https://www.tlplanet.com/forum/the-w...r-modification

Some pictures from the link that are no longer there (but could be added by someone with ultimate power). And some pictures of Sam's old set up. Somewhere I have pictures of the Yoshimura set up (on their TLR), but that might take some looking to remember where they are.
        Last edited by actls; 03-14-2018, 12:27 AM.
        People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

A few more
          People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

Oh wow, that's great, thanks...A bit to digest lol..

Comment

Working...
            X