Fuel pump gasket drama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump gasket drama

Hey guys i was just about to start up my tls yesterday for the first time with my motor swap although when i filled the tank all the fuel leaked out. When i originally got the bike it had a rubber gasket that was inserted in the perimeter of the tank opening and a custom made plate with no rubbed attached to it. The plate on the bike when i got it was clearely a custom made plate as 2 of the holes didnt even line up. I puchased a new plate with rubber sealed around the inside of it on ebay and then attched just that with the thought that i would be riding again. My question is do you need a rubber seal as well as the plate with the rubber seal attched to it to properly re install yihr fuel pump. Also the diagram on babbits is showing 2 plates di yiu need 2 or just the one with the rubber inside?

Are you sure you got an S tank gasket?

the S usually is 2 piece the R is one piece
    www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
    But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ring-In View Post
      Are you sure you got an S tank gasket?

the S usually is 2 piece the R is one piece
      ......I'm not so sure about that.

I just replaced the fuel pump gasket on my TLS last March, and I used the single piece steel gasket with the vulcanized neoprene inner seal. So far it is working fine. In fact, it is the same gasket style my '98 S has always used.

20180305_140031 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

20180305_141012 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

20180305_141337 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

20180305_141358 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

20180306_112720 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

Noah, if your '97 S is leaking with a new gasket, then it may be that the sealing surfaces on the tank are damaged, or you may have a 'pre-recall' fuel tank.

Does your tank have the embossed asterisk on the underside above the air box as shown in the photo below?

20180306_112701 by Tony Six5, on Flickr
      January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Yes my tank does have that. I went ahead and reused my old gasket and have no leaks. I think i might have got the gasket for an r never know with ebay.... my current setup is a plain fuel pump plate and a plain rubber seal that goes into the fuel tank. Although for some reason 2 of the holes dont match up with my tank. I bought the tank off a wrecker because my original one which also has an asterisk had extreme rust issues.

Comment

My one piece gasket didnt actually even fit snug into the groove around the perimeter

Comment

Originally posted by Noah 97 tls View Post
            ..... I think i might have got the gasket for an r never know with ebay......

That would certainly explain the leak.....

Comment

So since 2 of my holes dont match up with the plate does that mean i have a recalled tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Noah 97 tls View Post
                So since 2 of my holes dont match up with the plate does that mean i have a recalled tank?

Maybe you have the wrong pump plate. Does it match the photos I posted earlier in this thread? Can you post a photo of your plate?

If your tank has the asterisk impression, it is the new tank. There were no changes made to the tank after that.

Comment

gasket out by180 deg? bolts are not equi-distant
                  Run over on: '98 TL1000S
                  Riding: '98 TL1000R fighter
                  Drooling over: '02 TL1000R

Comment

I had the wrong plate. Unfortuantely i made the mistake of re using the bolts. Before my torque wrench clicked to 3ftp 2 of them stripped on me. Has anyone resolved a problem like this before?

Comment

Working...
                    X