Bent Valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Valve

Has anybody had issues with their valve cover blowing off mid ride? I was riding my bike and it randomly popped completely shut off and I didn't want to try and start it again. The valve cover has a gap between the gasket and the head. The front cover bolts are also loose. Anyone had this issue before?

Originally posted by Dylan friesen View Post
    Has anybody had issues with their valve cover blowing off mid ride? .....

Welcome to the forum Dylan.

Never heard of it before. Valve cover bolts must have been loose to begin with.
    January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Originally posted by Six5 View Post

Welcome to the forum Dylan.

Never heard of it before. Valve cover bolts must have been loose to begin with.
      Well I guess hopefully it's nothing to big.... I had the bike for two damn days.

Comment

This is new

Crank case ventilation problems ?

Comment

Well I guess hopefully it's nothing to big.... I had the bike for two damn days.
          Consider it a 'wake up call' to go through the bike and check everything. Really, that is standard practice when you buy a used bike, because you never know what kind of wrench the previous owner was.

There are the bikes that are advertised as "well maintained," and then there is reality.....

Comment

Are bent valves common on these bikes?

Comment

Front cylinder? Common issue with TLís that have been wheelied a lot is that it starves the front exhaust cam of oil...Iíve seen everything from a dropped valve which took out the head and did minimal damage to the piston to it completely shattering the piston and bending the connecting rod 90 degrees...found what was left of the piston in the sump...my bike dropped the valve with 12k on the clock...took out the head, jug and piston which left me on the side of the road with a locked up motor 2 states away from home...previous owner went everywhere on the rear tire...somewhere in my shop I have a piston with a valve face stuck in the center of it...Iíll see if I can locate it for a pic...

Comment

Originally posted by Metalbender View Post
                Front cylinder? Common issue with TLís that have been wheelied a lot is that it starves the front exhaust cam of oil...Iíve seen everything from a dropped valve which took out the head and did minimal damage to the piston to it completely shattering the piston and bending the connecting rod 90 degrees...found what was left of the piston in the sump...my bike dropped the valve with 12k on the clock...took out the head, jug and piston which left me on the side of the road with a locked up motor 2 states away from home...previous owner went everywhere on the rear tire...somewhere in my shop I have a piston with a valve face stuck in the center of it...Iíll see if I can locate it for a pic...
                So it's just kinda luck to see what damage is done inside....

Comment

So it's just kinda luck to see what damage is done inside....
                  Did it shut down? Is it locked?

Comment

It went pop pop and completely cut out not a lose of power just motor cut out. Battery still worked turned accessories on but didn't try turning it on again.

Comment

It went pop pop and completely cut out not a lose of power just motor cut out. Battery still worked turned accessories on but didn't try turning it on again.
                      Remove the stator rotor bolt cap on the left side and use a socket to turn the engine over manually. Listen and feel for any odd sounds or obstructions.

Remove the 'loose' valve cover and inspect the hardware underneath.

Let us know what you find. Take photos.

Comment

Iím hoping itís just a loose cover...I do have a spare front cylinder...Iíve learned that save them...

Comment

This is a rear cylinder issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Noah 97 tls View Post
                            This is a rear cylinder issue.
                            Are you asking? Or are you having a issue with your rear cylinder?

Comment

No hes helping me with the bike. He's telling you

Comment

Working...
                              X