My timeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My timeline

Ok, I know traffic here isn't what it used to be, but I just moved back to civilisation a few months ago and got my bike out of the garage. Today I got her started for the first time in about three years - and she just fired right up! So I thought I would do my part to keep interest alive on the site, which has helped me immensely throughout the years, and start an open-ended thread about my bike - where it came from, where it is, and where it's going. And frankly, I just got so damn happy from it starting with absolutely no issue at all that I just felt I had to share with ppl who understand!

First up, a pic from today, moments before she fired up on the second turn-over as if I'd been riding continuously for all this time:

The observant will notice a couple of staple bits for those of us having gotten the addiction from Van and Speedking: the clear clutch cover with its beautiful pressure plate, and that absolutely awesome-sounding fulll M4 system - they've been on there for years, along with the cf screen that I got from some group buy from the Zero Limits ppl. Right before rolling her out for this pic I fitted Carrozzeria wheels courtesy of Speedking which just does so much for the whole look.
    Last edited by K0m4; 07-14-2018, 10:03 AM.
    /K0m4

so far:
    Bitubo rear shock! Racetech fork internals, M4 full system, Matt's TRE, Rizoma grips, FP Racing folding levers, IPP cf screen, Van's ccc, plate, front & rear brake reservoir, & sprocket cover, Buell-busa peg mod (oooh my legs).

Soon to be:
    IP Performance CF hugger, gap. Maybe a clear headlight with angel eyes?

sigpic

This is the beginning… In the year of the lord 2010 I had just bought a sail boat on which I was set to spend my four weeks of summer vacation. At some point after buying that boat, I got together with this girl, and obviously the idea that she should spend some time with me sailing came about. Logistical problem: how do I pick her up at the airport and bring her to the marina? We both lived in Vienna, and the boat was in Sweden (where I'm from). I thought to rent a bike - at the time I didn't have a car license - but realised for that money I could buy some old, cheap small bike which I could sell at the end of it all. But just for fun I set the limit on my search a bit higher, and lo and behold - just below that limit was a TLs for sale. I had no idea what it was, but something made me not able to let go. So went to the dealer and simply bought it. Little did I know what I'd gotten myself into..

So that's how I found a TL.. or was it it that found me...? (remember that movie/book Carrie, anyone?) And this is how it looked when I was getting ready to drive back down to Vienna after that vacation:
    /K0m4

so far:
    Bitubo rear shock! Racetech fork internals, M4 full system, Matt's TRE, Rizoma grips, FP Racing folding levers, IPP cf screen, Van's ccc, plate, front & rear brake reservoir, & sprocket cover, Buell-busa peg mod (oooh my legs).

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

spoiler alert!! .................its all downhill from here
      www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
      But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

/K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

I had registered here and on the Zone just before buying the bike, after googling wth it was. I always had some sort of ambition to not overdo any modding, but then of course I started noticing all the group buys… In the beginning I kept it to a minimum though.. CCC, dark double bubble screen, nicer looking mirrors, little things like that.

However, I was forced to do one to me major thing - the fixings for the rotary damper on the swingarm had cracked. I was more than a little overwhelmed when I noticed, because aside from my 50cc moped at 15 years old I had never really worked on bikes... anyway, after some research it turned out that the best option was to fit a Bitubo. I spent the better part of the night in my building's garage one night, with plenty of trial and error and no real tools (let alone a bike lift), swearing and sweating... But I got it done, and I could really tell the difference when riding too.

This is just outside Vienna, circa july 2011, overlooking some vineyards (which you would see if the photograoher had been better…) in a hilly section of fun roads:
          Last edited by K0m4; 07-15-2018, 01:54 AM.
          /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

Looks great, enjoy. Before today i've been 2 weeks since the last ride and it felt great.
            The sound must have been amazing after three years.

Comment

Originally posted by GM81 View Post
              Looks great, enjoy. Before today i've been 2 weeks since the last ride and it felt great.
              The sound must have been amazing after three years.
              I believe I used the term "orgasmic" when describing it to female friend with whom I had drinks Friday night… (maybe that's why it ended with drinks only.. ) I tried to upload a video I shot of it idling, but it seems too large.
              Last edited by K0m4; 07-15-2018, 09:24 AM.
              /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

Near-future plans..

Awaiting this winter is a gap mod - had the tray for years in a box already.. I'm probably going to have it re-painted too during the winter, because you can tell its age (plus the fairings don't quite match anymore after binning it a few years back).

I have a headlight assy that I want to do clear, but I have had a hard time figuring out which projectors to use since I need the EU-spec and would really like to have it look symmetrical with two low-beam projectors.
                /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

Reading what everyone else were doing to their bikes on here, I of course got carried away.. so I wanted better suspension, cooler sound (although those ART bolt-ons that I bought it with certainly turned heads), and all that sexy cf..

As much as I'd like to blame speedking , it was the whole collective of ppl turning my addiction on.. Ghostmafia - remember that beautiful green machine?, Troy with that sexy red/blck build, vandriver with his constant supply of candy, and all those usually unsung heroes that made write-ups on under-the-cover mods to improve electrics (Matt-the-Hat did the TRE right?) and so on. Thankfully all that is still here to delve into. And of course not to forget the BBotM votes that had me drooling all the time.. guess i'm too late for that particular party..

So one day in 2012 I had over the course of quite some time collected the contents for a Racetech fork upgrade, a full M4 system - both courtesy of Speedking - wheels that were powder-coated black, and a bunch of cf that made me drool, and set about fitting it all in my garage (which had a notice on it strictly forbidding doing any sort of maintenance or mechanical work on your vehicles). For a while it looked thusly:

...but when I was done it looked like this:

(yes, the rear wheel wasn't black yet - I had the rim but no tyre... never got around to it until this weekend actually, when I fitted the carrozzeria wheels in the OP ) When I rode it around the block a neighbour rushed down into the garage threatening to call the cops because of the sound it made Austrians are picky about their ruhe…
                  Last edited by K0m4; 07-16-2018, 11:57 AM.
                  /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

The observant will notice the luggage holder on that pic. My bikes were never trailer queens - I travel on them, sometimes far and wide. They are as a result almost never as clean as some of the bikes one sees on here, but until very recently I didn't actually have a car license, so I kind of didn't have much choice.. I went to my very first MotoGP in Brno on that bike, I went fishing, and I went between Vienna and Sweden at least four or five times - usually non-stop (which is the reason for the footpegs that I have on there - every cm counts on the leg hurt you get after a while…) So sometimes my bike would look like this:

or this:

I even built a luggage holder from an old rear seat unit and some bicycle handlebars to hold backpacks:

That second pic is from a fishing trip up north in Sweden, and just hours later on that day, approaching Stockholm, I locked the front wheel and binned it at about 80 km/h, sending the poor bike into a taxi like a bowling ball.. That might be what the next post will be about..
                    Last edited by K0m4; 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM.
                    /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

Gottta love that luggage rack!!! freakin' ingenious! Especially that it worked!
                      Brainless AT earthling DOT net
                      "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
                      Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
                      Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
                      Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Glad to see you back!

Comment

Originally posted by Brainless View Post
                          Gottta love that luggage rack!!! freakin' ingenious! Especially that it worked!
                          Thanks! It works real well - with a pair of Giant Loop exhaust shields I could hang two 30L waterproof backpacks and stow a 40L duffel on top Not what you usually associate with a TL, but it got me to the fishing streams!

I did get myself a K7 V-strom later, with touratech bags and the works, so now I can use the TL for what it's supposed to be used for - turning women and car alarms on
                          Originally posted by Metalbender View Post
                          Glad to see you back!
                          Good to be back!
                          Last edited by K0m4; 07-16-2018, 04:21 PM.
                          /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

So on my way back from the fishing trip I mentioned above, I was looking for my highway exit as I approached Stockholm. There's not a little irony in this, because I was looking for the exit to go to a bike shop and get a new front tyre - I bought a black rim and it had this tyre on that i never really felt confident with. So I guess I have been more surprised at other occasions than when I grabbed a handful of brake and locked the front.. it skid away to the left, I let go, and it got traction and sort of highsided me off to the other side. I guesstimate the speed at about 80 km/h, and I landed pretty hard. The bike skid on its side into the taxi that was in front of me, and I came to a stop about halfway there. Rarely have I been as pissed off - I got up and threw my glove into the ground, and screamed… well.. let's just say it was from the profanity part of the dictionary.. The guy in the car behind stopped cold behind his door as he was rushing out to help me

So I got away with a bruised elbow - judging from the gear I would have had a knee, elbow and shoulder surgery had I wore something of lesser quality.. but the bike...

It skid on the left side, but I had sliders so the damage was not that bad. I even had an exhaust slider that took the brunt and saved my M4 can - that midpipe was a mere 60 bucks to replace:

The encounter with the taxi however took more of a toll:

So as you will see in the pic in the original post I found a new set of fairings on ebay. I also bent the radiator back a ways with a crowbar, but let both the frame and front wheel sliders alone, as well as the scuff on my rizoma barend, because I figure some battle scars just makes the bike look more hardcore...
                            /K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

Getting some details done: fitting rearsets and a wave brake disc to expose those sexy rims as much as possible.. Need to source a rear brake light pressure switch with 1.00 thread pitch though - the supplied one had 1.25. Almost ready for inspection and road legality once again

/K0m4

so far:

Soon to be:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X