Tl 1000s 97 drinking fuel like crazy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tl 1000s 97 drinking fuel like crazy

Hwy guys finally got my tl running good and it is absolutely horrible on fuel. Im getting about 70km to a full tank of 94 octane. Before i swaped motors i was getting almost 160km to everytank around 100 miles or so. This is with the bike on twisty roads tourquing hard out of corners but i mean come on i cant even go on a road trip with that kind of millage. I should mention the temp hovers around 160 f. I removed my pc11 because before that i was only getting 50km to a tank. My fuel filter is brand new and also k and n airfilter is clean. Tires are not low either. It runs and idles great though so i have no idea whats going on certainly no loss of power. Any ideas would be a great help.

Originally posted by Noah 97 tls View Post
    ....... it is absolutely horrible on fuel. ...... I should mention the temp hovers around 160 f. I removed my pc11 because before that i was only getting 50km to a tank. .......
    Since it is a '97 TLS, you will need to do the "Thermostat Mod." That is, move the coolant temperature sensor from the left radiator tank to the thermostat housing. As it is, the coolant temp in the radiator never gets warm enough, so the ECM is constantly using the "cold map" thinking that the engine is not up to operating temp. The ECM will switch to the "warm map" when it senses the coolant at 176F (unless you have the original pre-recall ECM), and it will use much less fuel. That's why moving the temp sensor is important because it can then sense the real operating temp of the engine coolant in the thermostat housing, and the ECM will select the proper map.

While you are at it, install a 190F thermostat, since you live in a cold climate. It will ensure that the coolant temp stays above 176F (80C) and it will not switch back and forth between the maps.

In the '98 model year, Suzuki fixed this issue.

Do a search on "thermostat mod" and you will find pages of data and how-to info.
    January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Thanks six 5 ill get on that in the next couple days and let you know how it goes. Some people where telling me to sync the throttle bodys and others are telling me its pointless. The bike idles good so im not sure if that would change anything. What do yoy think?

Comment

its likely the vacuum line to the intake air pressure senor is leaking or mot fitted.

this will make the bike run ultra rich
        www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
        But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

I was wondering if i had all the airbox lines hooked up right becasue i had pulled my motor so long ago. I just went off the tlr diagram so im not 100% sure the lines are all hooked up properly. I didnt see a tls diagram anywhere

Comment

Does anyone have any pictures or a diagram of how the tls vaccume lines get connected?

Comment

Does anyone have any pictures or a diagram of how the tls vaccume lines get connected?
              TLS vacuum diagram.....

TLS Vacuum diagram_hilited by Tony Six5, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks so much man thats a huge help ill post later if i had anything messed up and im going to do the thermo mod aswell just picked up a 99 housing

Comment

Hey guys u did the thermo mod and am still only getting 70 to 80km to a tank of fuel. It has a 76.5c thermostat installed that's all I could find in the meantime looking for a 190f thermostat all the air lines are connected properly. I did the TB and tps sync and the bike idles flawlessly and the bar in the middle with C00 and goes top when I pull the fast idle.

Comment

Is it possible a fuel injector is worn out even though it idles good?

Comment

I do agree with Ring-In on the IAPS possibly as a Leaking line.

Mine did and now my gas mileage is back to normal.
                      The yellow light would come on at 140k.

Even if the hose don't have holes it can still leak from were they connect.

I was planning for a while to replace all the hoses... but I missed the opportunity at the start of the season, but a few days ago made the effort to at least change the one for the IAPS.

You might have other problems with that, or yours is leaking bad !

Comment

Hey guys I replaced my IAPS sensor and am now back to my normal millage getting 140+ till the light starts flashing riding the bike somewhat aggressive.

Comment

Thanks alot for all the good input.

Comment

Hey guys I replaced my IAPS sensor and am now back to my normal millage getting 140+ till the light starts flashing riding the bike somewhat aggressive.

Thanks for posting the fix Noah. Looks like The Ring-In had it pegged early on.

Just for reference, could you also post the part number of the ECM you are currently running?

Comment

Yes I have the f41 recalled ECM although I would like to get my hand on one of the pre recalled units.

Comment

Working...
                              X