Tl 1000s intermittent not starting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tl 1000s intermittent not starting

Hey guys I have been riding my tlaround for a couple thousand km since I got it working with no issues. The other day I stopped to get gas and it wouldn't start after. I popped the gas cap to make sure it wasn't vapor lock. I picked it up from the gas station pulled it apart and checked the spark plugs, they where sparking fine so I figured what could it possibly be. Put it all back together and it started up and ran great rode it around for a few days with no issues. Then I had plans to go for a ride today and what do you know my tl won't spark. Fuel pump is priming, ground is hooked up no clue what my issue is here I just want to get this thing running again.

Hey guys it turned out to be a bad rectifier.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Noah.

How did you find the bad part? Just swapping parts, or did you do some testing that lead you to that conclusion?

January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

I just swapped parts. I didn't have a voltage tester to go about testing it. I also noticed that my dash light seemed to flicker and be a bit dim with the bad rectifier. I haven't ridden it at night since I swapped parts so I'm not sure yet if it fixed the issue. Bike is running good now though.

Comment

You never mentioned the battery being dead and recharging it. My hunch would be you didn't fix it yet. Check the starter relay and its connector when you get a chance.
          Brainless AT earthling DOT net
          "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
          Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
          Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
          Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Still seems to be working good so I think it's fixed also myflickering dim dash light are fixed as well since the rectifier change

Comment

Originally posted by Noah 97 tls View Post
              Still seems to be working good so I think it's fixed .....
              You should still investigate the starter relay and its connector as Brainless recommended. It is a common weak point on TLs that don't have the appropriate mods. Therefore, it may be a problem just waiting to leave you stranded until you verify that it is clean, tight, and not overheating.

January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Ok thanks guys. I'll check that out tonight and let you guys know.

Comment

Working...
                X