battery issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery issue

Hopefully, my friend Six5 will chime in here. I have upgraded my R/R and installed headlight relays, and an on off switch for the headlights. Still, over time, my battery seems to discharge. I have a Shorai lithium battery and it's probably two years old. I have had to hook it up to a charger, a couple of times, to get it topped off so that the bike will start. What would be causing the drain on the battery while the bike is parked? I have no extra electrical gadgets on the bike or anything.

I'm not Six5 six but 2 possibilities come to mind:

1)small short: put your multimeter in series with your battery in AMP setting. See if it's reading anything.
    2) if your shirazi went dead before you may need to replace it: in my experience they seem to be more fragile than the conventional batteries. I've seen a couple bit being able to cmhold charge after 1 complete discharge. Bring it to the local auto parts store and have them test it.
    Brainless AT earthling DOT net
    "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
    Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
    Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
    Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Originally posted by Rickysnickers View Post
      Hopefully, my friend Six5 will chime in here. I have upgraded my R/R and installed headlight relays, and an on off switch for the headlights. Still, over time, my battery seems to discharge. I have a Shorai lithium battery and it's probably two years old. I have had to hook it up to a charger, a couple of times, to get it topped off so that the bike will start. What would be causing the drain on the battery while the bike is parked? I have no extra electrical gadgets on the bike or anything.
      Ricky,

Give us the following VDC readings:

1. Bike off, ignition off.
      2. Bike off, ignition on ( maybe 2, lights off, lights on.)
      3. Whilst cranking (tough, but look for the LOWEST number)
      4. Idle
      5. 5k RPMs.

You are looking for:

~12.7
      ~12.5
      >11
      >13
      >13

Ideally, the last 2 will be over 14, like mine ...

Did you do the Charge Mod when you upgraded your R/R? You may also consider the Six5 approved grounding mod, wherein you take the nasty ass thing labeled "main earth" below, wrap a nice fatty wire around it, solder it into the system, and run as an additional ground strap to the chassis ground mount (right near the front sprocket on the case.) You should also delete that little single spade clip also circled. Just straight solder and heatshrink. When you are down there, go crazy with a wire brush to clean that case area up. That bolt is known to get really corroded, massively reducing your charging system.

... Listen to Six5 ...

Comment

Listen to brainless
        www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
        But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

I will Stu . Thank you all and I will report back. I never let the battery go all the way flat by the way. I know that's bad for any battery.

Comment

As usual, I'm late to the party......

Ricky, you are getting good direction from these guys. As Brainless pointed out, given your symptoms, it is good to check for a leakage current that might be drawn from the battery. If, you see some current with the meter, sequentially remove the system fuses from the box until the current goes to zero. Then you will know which electrical branch to pursue.

If you don't see any leakage current, then you can test the charging system as rxf610 pointed out. If for some reason, the battery is not charging properly, then it could produce similar symptoms to a partially drained battery when it comes time to crank the engine over.

This is probably unrelated to your issue, but it seems like a good place to mention it. With what little experience I have with the various 'lithium' batteries, I've noticed that they usually maintain a good charge for a long period of time (months). For example, the Shorai in my TLR showed 13.3V even after three months of being parked. However, I recently acquired a WPS lithium battery (intended for my Aprilia) although it has not been installed yet. After about six months on the shelf, its voltage dropped to about 8 volts. I recharged it and it seems to be OK. I can't say it is a dud, but I have heard of lithiums keeping a better 'shelf charge' than this. Of course, the ultimate test will be how it performs in the bike. Time will tell once I get it on the road.
            I mention this because, even though Shorai batteries have an enviable track record, yours may be a little under average - slowly self discharging when others would not.

Still, no need to jump to conclusions. Let us know what your testing turns up.

January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

You don't have the specific lithium charger from shorai ?
              It is good for balancing the cells inside the battery.

I had a problem with the 30amp fuse going to the battery.
              There was a heat buildup that caused resistance, but the fuse did not blow.

Question; is it cold where you are ?

Comment

Originally posted by twin2 View Post

I've had a Shorai for 5 years and used a conventional tender. That's not the problem.

According to Rickysnickers's location, he's near Mexico. I don't think "cold" is the problem...
                Brainless AT earthling DOT net
                "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
                Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
                Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
                Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Originally posted by twin2 View Post

Not cold here. I'm in SoCal and yes I have a Shorai charger for the battery. I am going to get you all the info requested. This weekend was a bit busy. Thank you all for all the info!!!

Comment

((That's not the problem.))

You don't know that for sure, just because you never had an imbalance problem doesn't mean it can't happen.

RC people balance their cells all the time for optimum perf.

It's like having one bad apple....

Comment

Working...
                    X