New TL owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TL owner

I'm a new TL-R owner here. My name is David Fletcher and I live in Plant City, Fl. The bike I have was owned by a typical street rider who didn't clean it and also crashed it. A good friend acquired the bike (2001 model) and gave it to me. Now for the heresy. I am too old to fall down and expect to heal. I have been a dragracer for over 20 years and plan on racing this bike in the Street ET class at local races and the ManCup National Series as money allows. Be easy on me. I will be asking advise about modifications, though no heavy duty engine mods for reliability sakes. It appears that the mod to bypass the stock wiring harness for the RR has been done. Also, the airbox flappers and hoses have been removed. The airbox had many holes drilled in the plate that holds the filter in the wrong places, letting unfiltered air to enter the engine. I have plastic welded those holes and trimmed the box according to images I have found here. I haven't really rode the bike yet, as I am bring the bike up to my ideas of how a bike should be.
    This will probably be the first question of many in the near future. I was thinking about the hoses from the airbox to the crankcase, cam cover. I can't see venting the crankcase vapors and pumping pressures into the airbox, where there should be positive pressure from the ram air. Is there a mod for this online to modify this to a small k&n style filter venting to the atmosphere? Am I on the right track? Any info would be appreciated. A lot of the images have been deleted from the forums, so newer images and advise would be nice. Thank you.

Welcome to the Planet David!

Be sure to download the service manual from the TL Resources tab. At least it will show you the typical OEM routings for cables, wires, hoses and such - since yours has had some mods done to it.

As for venting the crankcase breather to the airbox, I would be surprised if you notice any performance difference one way or the other. As long as you keep the oil lever below the upper mark, and use the newer oil separator tank with the mesh inside, you'll find very little oil ends up in the air box.
    January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

We've had several folks that have successfully raced the TL over the years. Some searching should turn up much useful info.

As a fellow old person, it's not the falling down, it's just that we don't bounce like we used to. More of a SPLAT! at this age.
      "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

Welcome

I would tend to agree with Six5. There are more useful mods for the track.

TLR67 is an active member here and races. He may be a very good resource for you.
        Brainless AT earthling DOT net
        "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
        Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
        Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
        Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Thanks guys, for the welcome and kind words. I know the TL was designed for road racing, but so was the GSXR series and there are tons of them out there dragracing. If you didn't know, the Manufacturers Cup series has a V-twin ET class, which I plan to compete in with this bike. Need to whip up on the Harleys! I won't be doing engine mods because they aren't required in a bracket class, but will be concentrating on chassis and clutch. I will be searching this site for all the info I can find.

I have 2 drag bikes that i race, both Kawasaki KZ based. One is a 1075cc ET bracket bike, the other a 1327cc SuperComp index bike (8.90 index). Both are slick and wheelie bar bikes, so I need to relearn how to ride a barless bike with a street tire. Should be fun.

Jeff, old guys rule. I am 65 this month. Brainless, know a couple of dragracers in the Nashville area, race at Music City. Extreme Motorsports.

Comment

Bout the best mod for the clutch is welding up the center...

Comment

Search for posts by N2wheelies. He did well with his S and covered what he did suspensionwise.
              "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

You might want to switch over to the cable actuated clutch from the S.
                Vanzuki.com - Click the banner below, to see what I have for your bike.

Comment

Vandriver

I have given that some thought, but right now I am spending money for replacement parts: battery, chain, fixing the bent up silencer, wiring issues, broken body panels. I plan on riding the bike as is, meaning stock, to get an idea of how the bike performs. I do plan on clutch mods, such as removing the releasing mechanism for engine braking. I will give updates on this site as I attempt to make this a fun ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastbike View Post
                    clutch mods
                    The best 2 clutch mods...

1. Get the center welded... pm Metalbender ( and tell him to call me to catch up... )

2. Replace that hydro garbage with a cable...

then...

enjoy

... Listen to Six5 ...

Comment

Yes Cable all the way.... I might come join you for a couple races to practice my starts! Where do you go?
                      www.sportbiketracktime.com
                      Southern Division Coach

Comment

I see you're in N. Georgia. I lived in Lawrenceville, Ga. for 33 yrs. Moved to Plant City, Fl. this past January. Might be a little hard to meet up. Depending on what part of Ga. you're in, you could go to Atlanta Dragway in Commerce. That was my home track. Their bike program has dwindled this past year, bad management. It is a 1/4 mile track. If you live towards Chattanooga, there is Brainerd Dragstrip just south of Chattanooga on the side of I-75. It is 1/8 mile and I understand that it is much improved. If you want to go as far south as Macon, there is Silver Dollar Dragstrip in Reynolds, Ga. 1/4 mile track in the middle of nowhere, but a decent track.

Comment

Originally posted by rxf610 View Post

The best 2 clutch mods...

1. Get the center welded... pm Metalbender ( and tell him to call me to catch up... )

2. Replace that hydro garbage with a cable...

then...

enjoy

Phone works 2 ways last I checked...but Iíll give you a call

Comment

Working...
                          X