Is the Planet dying???????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Planet dying???????

Have I missed something is there a boycott of the Planet or are people just not posting now days? I fully understand that newer forms of social media have taken over from "forums" but as an older member I still enjoy the forum chat and banter.
    I come on here regularly and hit the "Today's Posts" button only to have it come back with nothing.......So I move onto the"New Posts" and maybe get a 5/7 day old post that I've read already, so what's up?
    In my emails I get a "Whats trending on the Zone" with links to all the discussions on there. I'm not a member of the Zone (don't remember signing up!) so don't know how they got my email address A while back I remember when the Zone got taken over and everyone thought it was the beginning of the end for the Zone but it would appear as if it's going great guns ahead.

Your thoughts.

Cheers
    V2

Wow 9 hours later and not one response........

Comment

Dying, not necessarily, just slowing with age. Y'all have to remember are not a lot of TLs out there anymore. I'm a mod both here and on TL Zone and it's not much more active, though the Brits seem to be a bit more active there. Anyhow, I'd say the slow down is no more than would be expected of any bike or car that's not been built for 15 years and hasn't yet reached the stage of being a classic. It seems that most riders want the latest/greatest thing out there so older bikes fall of style until they get old enough that people begin to look back on them as the bikes of their youth and then want them again. Eventually those folks die and the bikes will fall out of favor again. It's just the way things are.
      "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

Originally posted by V2 View Post
        Have I missed something is there a boycott of the Planet or are people just not posting now days? I fully understand that newer forms of social media have taken over from "forums" but as an older member I still enjoy the forum chat and banter.
        I come on here regularly and hit the "Today's Posts" button only to have it come back with nothing.......So I move onto the"New Posts" and maybe get a 5/7 day old post that I've read already, so what's up?
        In my emails I get a "Whats trending on the Zone" with links to all the discussions on there. I'm not a member of the Zone (don't remember signing up!) so don't know how they got my email address A while back I remember when the Zone got taken over and everyone thought it was the beginning of the end for the Zone but it would appear as if it's going great guns ahead.

Your thoughts.

Cheers
        V2
        I agree 100%

Jeff

Jeff, do you have any pressing questions anymore Where does this go? What does this hook up to?

We know these bikes inside out!
        ... Listen to Six5 ...

Comment

I reckon there will always be a small contingent that likes these bikes. We see that with new folks showing up and saying, "I've always wanted a TL and now I have one!" Shoot, the urge to have another hits me now and then. There's a lot of knowledge here and on the Zone and it would be ashamed to lose it.
          "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

The dark side has only gotten darker..... I like it....
            www.sportbiketracktime.com
            Southern Division Coach

Comment

I think lot of us is busy with work, families,daily bs....etc. Also as you mentioned...TL is old and were getting old too....and not everyone is thrilled to own 20 yo bike and keep it running...
              i also bought house, cheap but need lot of work, so i work for $ n than when i have time i work on house so one day its gonna be liveable...
              Anyway i have 3 TLs 2 of them are beat up neglected n one is bone stock with 5K so i can ride it and once i have some sort of shop in basement i start rebuilt those 2 bikes...
              TL heard might thin out but i believe theres gonna be still enough of ppl who are interested in those bike and post about them.
              never give up!

Comment

Much like the motorcycle industry, it's been slowing for a while (I haven't been on TLZ since the new owners took over). For me, other projects have gotten in the way. New fuel pump and bushings on the Defender, stripped the CJ7 down to the frame so I can inspect and paint it, always something to do for Dawn's horse, trailer, truck, etc. Not much mc related other than we've sold a few recently. Trying the whittle the herd down to Dawn's 99 R1, and my TL.
                People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

Changing times, old codgers for the most part sit by a computer? The young 'uns are on the tablet or phone. The fbook is easiest. Until there were options Planeteers and zoners were the ONLY source of info. Many younger enthusiasts have never gone to any forum, ever.
                  Run over on: '98 TL1000S
                  Riding: '98 TL1000R fighter
                  Drooling over: '02 TL1000R

Comment

The last 2 years I was the only one racing a TLR in WERA and AHRMA in the USA.. I donít think anyone raced them in CCS or MCRA etc as well.. if so post up..
                    www.sportbiketracktime.com
                    Southern Division Coach

Comment

I ainít dead.....

long time not talk gentlemen!! Oh if any ladies read this..... it wasnít me I wasnít even in this country that night!

how you old coots been?

Comment

Wow my login worked!
                        Not dead yet either.
                        Poor TLS been hiding under the blanket of shame at least 3 years . No motivation to revisit and repair damage inflicted. Too many projects and too little money. Anyway seems every has one gone to bookface - I couldnt be bothered.
                        Hope the planet is still here when i drag the ole S out again.

Comment

I think 2 things have stuffed the forums.
                          facebook
                          and photobucket
                          most of the old threads are no longer viable
                          and facebook is now much more volatile place to get answers
                          and the knowledgeable ones are increasing thank god!
                          I do doubt the viability of cindy keeping this forum open.
                          there are so few posts now its often days between them
                          www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
                          But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Agreed, there is a massive amount of knowledge in the forum but the threads are missing the photo content they use to have.
                            Any new comers must find it frustrating and look else where.

Double Trouble - Two Black 98 TLSs

Full Yosh RS3 CF, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS, R-Tech GV & 1kgs/7.5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS, Air box mod/TLR T,OR /PAIRed, Flashed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, 17-39

M4/Yosh RS3 Ti, Traxx. R1 05/Bitubo SOAS/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Nissin rear/Earls SS/Galfer, Sam's+STM slipper, AB mod/TLR BM & T,OR/PAIRed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, PVM rims/DSMQ2/190-55/Gilles adj/17-40

Comment

I think the forum format changing, at the same time the FB push was coming on, was just really bad timing and lots of people just faded away. FB is usually a miserable place, the same 20yo questions, over and over because people are too stupid to use google and find an answer on a forum. Even if you give them a link and tell them to look it up on the Planet, they can't seem to manage. And the so called larger FB platform is a joke, the market is a fraction of the size that it was here in the heyday.
                              Vanzuki.com - Click the banner below, to see what I have for your bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X