Scissor Gear question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scissor Gear question?

What exactly are the scissor gears used for? I still canít seem to get rid of this unusual loud tick in the front cylinder area. Reading on TLzone, a guy said he had the same issue and he removed the scissor gear completely and the noise went away. Iím kinda skeptical about removing something that must of been there for a reason without know exactly what it does. Any feedback is appreciated in advance

Scissor gears are there to reduce the top end noise by reducing gear backlash.
    The scissor gears are spring loaded and helps the gears mesh by tacking up the slack / free play.
    If you remove them it makes the top end noisier.
    The main reason they are removed is to make room so you can run aftermarket cams that have slotted / adjustable cam gears to vary the timing.
    Last edited by Bill R; 04-15-2019, 10:54 PM.
    Double Trouble - Two Black 98 TLSs

Full Yosh RS3 CF, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS, R-Tech GV & 1kgs/7.5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS, Air box mod/TLR T,OR /PAIRed, Flashed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, 17-39

M4/Yosh RS3 Ti, Traxx. R1 05/Bitubo SOAS/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Nissin rear/Earls SS/Galfer, Sam's+STM slipper, AB mod/TLR BM & T,OR/PAIRed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, PVM rims/DSMQ2/190-55/Gilles adj/17-40

Comment

Originally posted by Bill R View Post
      Scissor gears are there to reduce the top end noise by reducing gear backlash.
      The scissor gear is underload at all times and helps the gears mesh by tacking up the slack / free play.
      If you remove them it makes the top end noisier.
      The main reason they are removed is to make room so you can run aftermarket cams that have slotted / adjustable cam gears to vary the timing.
      Iíve posted this on a couple different places but havenít got any responses, maybe you can throw me some ideas...

Alright guys. Iím still struggling with the bike and the excessive tapping noise and overall just not running right. A buddy of mine thought the Decomp arm would be the problem so he removes the arms after I seen people were doing it and it didnít change anything. Should I leave them off or put them back on? When I started it, it will run and idle, if I crack the throttle hard it will blow flame out of the front throttle body and a little bit of smoke out of the right exhaust. It was off for about a half hour and I decided to look at the intake valves through the TBís I couldnít see anything noticeable but on the front throttle body when I opened the butterfly there was a shit ton of smoke/Steam. I had to blow it out a couple times to see the valves. I also noticed when I told my buddy to top of the oil he put too much in it and itís completely covering the site glass. Tomorrow Iím gonna tear it down tomorrow and start from scratch. Check all the timing, do a leak down test, Sync the Throttle bodyís since I put a ďnewĒ used throttle body assembly on it. And check the valve clearances. When I check the clearances, in what angle does the cams need to be sitting. TDC? Or where. Any help would be appreciated. If thereís any other thoughts you may have please let me know.
      Tha ks guys

Comment

Working...
      X