Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here, pulling the 99R out of mothballs getting her back on the road since 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, pulling the 99R out of mothballs getting her back on the road since 04

Hi Everyone, just joined TL Planet today

I just dusted-off my 99 TLR after sitting for 15 years sitting in boxes and a partially disassembled frame.

I bought it new in 99 and road it hard for 5 years mostly in the twisties until I low sided it on the Angeles Crest highway fending off a 916 in 04. The damage was mainly cosmetic except I crushed both of the Yosh Ti mufflers in the process I bought a new set of plastics, fuel tank and a set of brand new Yosh Ti mufflers from a friend. While the bike was apart for repairs I decided to yank the heads and take them to my friend Craig who builds race heads and asked him to cc and flow them. When I returned he said " I touch these heads if I were you they flow quite well!" Porting the TL heads would likely hurt the low and mid range which is where this engine shines. I'm like, OK cool so I buttoned everything up, lacing the chain over the sprockets and reached for the shift lever to put it in "N" and the shifter won't move!!! I quickly realized I must have pranged my level during my get-off on the Crest. Iím like ďoh no, I just pulled the top end and reassembled the engine only to realize I have to do it all over again and ďthen some!Ē which I did but got as far as installing the cylinders before getting distracted on another project ÖÖÖ. There is sat for the next 15 years!

Havenít ridden motor cycles until 3 years ago and bought a 2016 DR-650 where I converted it to a supermoto last year and having a blast on it. All the time I staring at the carcass of the TL covered in dust and remembering how much fun Iíve had on this bike and all it needs is to finish the assembly.

Well I dragged it out of itís hole, cleaned it off and benched the engine last week and this is where Iím starting.

DUSTED OFF TLR -7-19 1.jpgDUSTED OFF TLR -7-19 5.jpg

Both brand new Dunlop 207's need to be replaced. The bike looks just like where I left off on 04, no corrosion anywhere on the bike or in the engine thanks to So. Cal weather.

Welcome! Looks like an awesome build to be had. Post up your progress.
    Brainless AT earthling DOT net
    "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
    Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
    Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
    Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Tried uploading more pics but I'm limited to 2. Do I need to upgrade my account or something?

Here is the mod list:

Ohlin forks and shock
      Marchesini magnesium wheels
      Attack triples
      Titanium fork fasteners and axle
      KAD monoblock calipers
      EBC Pro-lite iron rotors
      CF front fender
      CF clip-on's
      Hermit Dragon's airbox and ram air scoops
      Yoshimura full titanium exhaust
      Uni-filter foam airfilter
      AFAM aluminum sprocket
      Graves billet mag cover
      Gilles rear-sets
      CF belly pan
      Steel front brake lines
      TL1000S cable clutch actuator
      EBC rear wave rotor
      Ohlin steering damper
      Scorpion lithium iron battery (weighs 2 lbs on order soon)
      Tires (fill-in blank)
      Last edited by LA Thumper; 07-27-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Thumper View Post
        Tried uploading more pics but I'm limited to 2. Do I need to upgrade my account or something?

Here is the mod list:

Ohlin forks and shock
        Marchesini magnesium wheels
        Attack triples
        Titanium fork fasteners and axle
        KAD monoblock calipers
        EBC Pro-lite iron rotors
        CF front fender
        CF clip-on's
        Hermit Dragon's airbox and ram air scoops
        Yoshimura full titanium exhaust
        Uni-filter foam airfilter
        AFAM aluminum sprocket
        Graves billet mag cover
        Gilles rear-sets
        CF belly pan
        Steel front brake lines
        TL1000S cable clutch actuator
        EBC rear wave rotor
        Ohlin steering damper
        Scorpion lithium iron battery (weighs 2 lbs on order soon)
        Tires (fill-in blank)
        Some nice parts there. There are a few members in your area. For posting pictures, the easiest is through an outside host then link. Otherwise, see the link and help the site stay alive!

https://www.tlplanet.com/SiteSupporter
        People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

+1 on the aftermarket parts list.
          A very nice ride, even in it's present form.
          Last edited by Bill R; 07-28-2019, 07:34 AM.
          Double Trouble - Two Black 98 TLSs

Full Yosh RS3 CF, Ohlins/Bitubo SOAS, R-Tech GV & 1kgs/7.5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Earls SS, Air box mod/TLR T,OR /PAIRed, Flashed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, 17-39

M4/Yosh RS3 Ti, Traxx. R1 05/Bitubo SOAS/Ziggy's RHA, Attack Racing triples/Ohlins R&T FG838 forks/5wt/Ohlins SD, 19RCS/Nissin 6 pots/Nissin rear/Earls SS/Galfer, Sam's+STM slipper, AB mod/TLR BM & T,OR/PAIRed, Matt's TRE-3, R-man's 1/5th, PVM rims/DSMQ2/190-55/Gilles adj/17-40

Comment

Welcome to the forum LA Thumper!
            January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Thanks for the kudos. When they 1st announced the TLR back in 98 I knew I had to have one. I've owned every brand of Japanese bikes but an RG-500 was my first Suzuki so you can imagine what kind of impression that made on me. Most of my time on that bike had me beating-up on a lot of Ducati's with that scrappy two stroke and they hated it with a passion For me the TL was just another insult. Suzuki engines are among the best in the world when it comes to reliability and durability I show no mercy! The Gamma with 35,000 miles on stock bore pistons sounded like there were rocks rolling around inside the crankcase at idle but was more like a paranoid mechanical schizophrenic on methamphetamines when it was on the pipe while making 93 rwhp. The TLR was a perfect compliment to a bike with a tach that starts at 2 grand because the engine doesn't make enough power at that rpm to pick-up the needle up off the stop. The TL is diametrically opposed to the RG in just about every way I just refer to it as The Beast. As good as the new bikes are I don't think I'll be trading-in the tiller anytime soon. It's relatively easy to work on (I've dug as deep as the shift drum can't really go further than that), it's a monster in the twisties, extremely "flickable" the way mine is set-up, the RS3's sends cat's scurrying up the trees while the women gather the children and people tend to gather around it even when parked next to something more exotic.

Here is a pic before the new Ohlin's front end

Russ's TL1000R side view 1.jpg

Russ's TLR 1.jpg

Here are more detailed pics of the bike as it now stands

DUSTED OFF TLR -7-19 3.jpg
              the Gilles rear-sets are a "work of art" ........... they turn on needle bearings

DUSTED OFF TLR -7-19 2.jpg
              I'm going to replace the rest of the steel fasteners with titanium on the rotating assembly with the money in this suspension what's a few more dollars poured down the hole.

DUSTED OFF TLR -7-19 4.jpg

The geometry on this bike is sooo "steep" and with all the weight loss its a blast to ride in the canyons

............. just waiting for engine parts. I'll post more pics as I make progress.

Comment

Fun thread, keep the updates coming :-)

Comment

Working...
                X