Well, that wasn't much fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that wasn't much fun...

Took the R out to go get a hair cut. On the way back home, it was acting a little funny. It was almost sputtering. The tach died, then the speedo died, and then it really did start sputtering. I was on the freeway and was able to get to my off ramp. As soon as I slowed to a stop, everything went out. No electrics at all. A $72 tow ride home and now it's in the garage. I did check the yellow and clear plugs. No issues there. I suspect it's probably the starter relay. Any other suggestions are also welcomed.

I'm still trying to figure out why your R needed a hair cut.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Comment

start at the battery with a voltmeter
        then the fuse box for bad fuses and connections
        then the alternator and rectifier regulator
        then ring someone who can actually sort it

www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
        But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

Ha, smart ass

Comment

$72 tow almost pays for my AAA+ membership with motorcycle and trailer towing.

...and the only suggestion I have is to get yourself an S.
            People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

A few other items to check: RR and stator connectors assuming your bike is still OEM. You're on the right track though
              Brainless AT earthling DOT net
              "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
              Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
              Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
              Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Originally posted by The Ring-In View Post
                then ring someone who can actually sort it
                "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

Originally posted by actls View Post
                  $72 tow almost pays for my AAA+ membership with motorcycle and trailer towing.

...and the only suggestion I have is to get yourself an S.
                  Gee thanks Andy hahahaha....

Comment

Originally posted by Brainless View Post
                    A few other items to check: RR and stator connectors assuming your bike is still OEM. You're on the right track though
                    I've swapped out the RR for one of the mosfet units some time ago. I will check those other things as well. Thanks

Comment

Green plug from the ignition switch. Left me on the roadside in Germany this year till a cable tie came to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickysnickers View Post
                        Took the R out to go get a hair cut. On the way back home, it was acting a little funny. It was almost sputtering. The tach died, then the speedo died, and then it really did start sputtering. I was on the freeway and was able to get to my off ramp. As soon as I slowed to a stop, everything went out. No electrics at all. A $72 tow ride home and now it's in the garage. I did check the yellow and clear plugs. No issues there. I suspect it's probably the starter relay. Any other suggestions are also welcomed.
                        Rick, years ago I suffered a nearly identical situation to yours on my TLR. Only two things differ from your story.
                        1> My R didn't need a haircut.
                        2> I was in a left hand turn lane and not on the freeway when it failed and died.
                        After it was towed home, I found the culprit to be an intermittent connection inside the fuse holder that I had used for the Charging Mod. It was the sort for an ATC type blade fuse. An internal crimped connection had become resistive. This prevented the battery from being charged during operation, so it eventually died as the battery's power was used up. As the battery voltage drops, the instruments begin to act strange, and then eventually there's not enough voltage to support the fuel injection system and the engine dies.

Yours could be something similar.

The fix, for me, was to replace the ATC fuse holder with a quality unit. I installed an AG fuse and holder - the large glass tube type often found in automotive stereo systems. I encountered the problem during the winter of 2010/2011. Haven't had any issues with it since then.

Hopefully you can get yours sorted soon.
                        January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Tony, if you could, are you able to take some photos of that for me? I can send you my email address. BTW, for all of you, the R didn't need to haircut!! It was me HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Although the R does kind of look like it might have a mullet

Comment

Originally posted by Rickysnickers View Post
                            ..... BTW, for all of you, the R didn't need to haircut!! It was me HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Although the R does kind of look like it might have a mullet

I will send photos. No problem. Just need to find them.

I know I have posted them before, either here or on the Zone, but I just couldn't locate the thread.

Comment

Rick,
                              I found some photos......

And I had the date wrong. The failure actually occurred in June of 2010.

Anyway.....

This is the 'ATC' type of fuse holder that failed.

DSCN6581 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

After the rubber casing is stripped away.....
                              Here, the pencil is pointing at the failed crimp connection. You can also see the color of the terminal is different because of the heat that was generated due to the poor crimp.

DSCN6570 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

This is the new AG type fuse.

DSCN6569 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

And then a size difference comparison .....​​​​​​

DSCN6568 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X