TLR rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLR rebuild

I know that some of you are not on FB. There's a guy there that is rebuilding his late relative's bike as a family project. I thought it was pretty cool. He's on ADV and I've copied the link here, in case anyone was interested.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/suzuk...GxbimPUn1oLHAk

Hey guys, I have been meaning to write a post here detailing the build, but I have mostly been lurking in the classified section trying to find the last few parts I need. Thanks Rickysnickers for for the kind words! The bikes belonged to my brother-in-law, Dan Neumeister, who some of you knew as ReptileTLR. His name appears on the homepage under fallen members. He passed long before his sister and I met each other, but the impression he made on those around him is palpable. I hope some of you knew or interacted with him, and it's a real privilege to be working alongside my wife and Dan's mentor and friend Bee on this project.

We're working on it as a team, I'm just journaling the effort. I was on my way to the garage when I saw this post, so here's to more motivation to get the project moving!

Comment

I've been watching for updates too

Comment

New post! https://advrider.com/f/threads/suzuk...1421083/page-2

Comment

Welcome Aaron Richardson . Good luck on the build!!

Let us know if you need anything. There is a boat load of knowledge on these bikes in this forum.

I'll be scrutinizing your build

In the mean time you can check mine out too (in my sig)
          Last edited by Brainless; 01-02-2020, 03:08 PM.
          Brainless AT earthling DOT net
          "Take 2 plugs off your Gixxer and it'll sound the same"

*IMWO = In My Worthless Opinion
          Q2 and Q4's mod list and Albums

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
          Q4 build thread

Installing Brainless' +Mod Kit -- (Where to buy)
          Starter Relay/Solenoid CONNECTOR Replacement -- (Where to buy)

Comment

Originally posted by Brainless View Post
            Welcome Aaron Richardson . Good luck on the build!!

Let us know if you need anything. There is a boat load of knowledge on these bikes in this forum.
            Thanks, man! I was actually about to post a sad cry for help with wiring and wiring mods. I know, I know, there are stickies, but with the PhotoBucket-hostage pics they're not as helpful for someone who's on shaky ground with wiring. Are the pics hosted or available somewhere else? If the harness can be made better while the bike's all blown to bits, figure I might as well get while the getting isn't covered in bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Richardson View Post

Thanks, man! I was actually about to post a sad cry for help with wiring and wiring mods. I know, I know, there are stickies, but with the PhotoBucket-hostage pics they're not as helpful for someone who's on shaky ground with wiring. Are the pics hosted or available somewhere else? If the harness can be made better while the bike's all blown to bits, figure I might as well get while the getting isn't covered in bodywork.
              I've never messed with the OEM harness, instead, I've combined all the goody electrical upgrades into what I call the "Brainless Auxiliary Harness"

https://www.tlplanet.com/forum/the-w...693#post994693

I used to sell the kits... As a matter of fact, some nut paid me to make him one just this morning...

https://www.tlplanet.com/forum/motor...fuse-box-combo

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
              Q4 build thread

Comment

As far as pictures from PhotoBucket, no one can do anything about except the owner of the photos.

History of Q2

Q1 Build thread
                Q4 build thread

Comment

Thanks for all that! The aux. harness definitely looks like the way to go. I'll take a stab at it when I get to that point.

Comment

If you know of anywhere that remakes harnesses, I would like to know. I don't trust ebay for this item.
                    1996 Katana (S)
                    2002 Busa (S)
                    1999 R6 (Track Bike) (Y)
                    2004 Z1000 (K)
                    2000 TL1000R (S)

Comment

You can still purchase them new. They aren't cheap though. Look at Ron Ayers

Comment

Hi all - still here! I haven’t made it nearly as far as I would have liked by this point, but them’s the breaks when you’re a working stiff and there’s a pandemic on.

I have made some progress — got a new keyset in the ignition, throttle bodies on, new ecm installed, allegedly good stator from the wrecked bike put in, clutch slave in and bled and various bits and bobs.

The most exciting part was getting power on the key, working out an issue with the clutch switch and finally getting it to turn over. Tried putting fuel to it after that and it just evacuated out of the fuel pump hole, getting nothing to the TBs. So, I’m hoping to get the tank sealed up around the pump and try again.

After that, it’s just plugging in radiators and all the myriad odds and ends that will make it really drag on.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any tips for getting a tank with a couple stripped fuel pump screws to seal up, I’m all ears. Not sure if HeliCoils are an option here, or just skilled application of Permatex.

Unrelated, nobody has a good, yellow tank they’d be willing to part with, do they? Asking for a friend ...

Comment

Here's a thread that might be of interest, https://www.tlplanet.com/forum/main-...gasket-upgrade As far as the stripped bolt holes, I can't help with that one. Hopefully, someone else can.

Comment

Well, I got the gas tank figured out, she holds gas and pumps, but I still ain't got no fire. We turned it over today, but noticed that we had spark plugs that would spark twice and then stop. The tip-over switch is gone, which is what we're hoping is the problem. Anyone able to say if we're sniffing around the right tree? Hit the button, two sparks, then nothing. Fuel pump runs and sends gas to the throttlebodies.

Either way, if anyone has a TOS they're looking to shed, please let me know. I have a feeling that we are closing in on it, but just shy of the finish line.

Comment

Yep, you need the TOS for it to run. Until you find one it can be replaced with a resistor. Do a search and you should turn up what you need. I'd only do that to make it run, not as a permanent solution.
                              "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

Working...
                              X