Help with 01 TL1000R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 01 TL1000R

I bought a 2001 TL1000R a few weeks ago I have been riding it almost daily since and have had 0 problems but yesterday went to ride and no go. I started rite up initially than stalled due to cold start which has happened before but when I went to start it again it’s just turning over but won’t fire up. When it’s turning over it sounds strong as far as starter , battery , I can smell gas when I open throttle so don’t believe it to be a fuel delivery issue either. I tired letting it sit for 30 minutes incase of flooding and still nothing. I noticed the oil light blinking when I have key turned on and hitting the start button is that normal until bike is on than it goes solid ?? I checked oil it may have been a little bit low but was still visible in glass ... I added some to make sure it’s at proper level. Only other thing I noticed was the choke/ throttle control switch on the left handle bar (clutch side ) was loose where it goes into the control box .... the metal nut and sleeve were very loose ... could this be the culprit ? Any ideas of what to check next ? I have read about a dealer mode bypass ??I read the shut off for if bike goes down can go bad too ... where is this located and can it be reset ? Bike has not been down btw ... it only has 10,500 miles and was working 100% until this.

Hi, I read your question the choke control slide is just plastic that is built into the left handlebar control switch. Blinkers, High beam headlight switch that is broken into two pieces so it can wrap around the handlebar. There's two screws on the bottom side of the left side handllebar blinker switch. there philips head screws theres a tab that holds the choke cable onto the plastic housing that one of the screws goes tthrew. The tip over safty switch resets itself and is located under the drivers seat and should be held in place with a rubber sleave that wraps itself around the sensor and mounts where the gas tank hinge is. part supply companies like Dennis Kirk or Partsxilla .com have nlueprint drawings pictures that you can referance and also right click and save in your own computer if availible. good luck I hope this helps motorbikes require a tremendous amount of maintance. Keep asking and searching for info and suggest the suzuki service manual.

Comment

So I did some more trouble shooting today , the fuel pump is working properly , plugs have spark for sure but from output side of in line fuel filter to being ignited in cylinder there is an issue. I checked resistance on the the easier to get to coil plug and it seemed fine , I ran short on time but as I was finishing I removed the air box and looked thru the throttle body with throttle wide open and it looked disgusting I mean not just carbon build up but actual thick goo and sludge atleast at first glance ..... what could cause that much build up and Is this more than likely my issue? what’s odd is bike was running great last few weeks I prob rode 500 miles and went thru 3-4 tanks of gas so why all of a sudden

Comment

Originally posted by Jdc22 View Post
        So I did some more trouble shooting today , ..... I removed the air box and looked thru the throttle body with throttle wide open and it looked disgusting I mean not just carbon build up but actual thick goo and sludge atleast at first glance ..... ....
        Have you made any efforts to clean the "goo" yet?

Keep us posted please.
        January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Yes , but without taking heads off , got some out but still more than I’d like to see .... I found I had no voltage to injectors so traced back and the fuel pump relay was bad ... had ton of corrosion and wasn’t passing voltage I had a spare from a gsxr 600 that looks to be identical and I have correct voltage now but still bike won’t fire. I believe atleast 2 injectors are either extremely clogged or burnt up when relay went if that’s possible. On the front injector left (clutch) side I think #4 when I try test with 9 volt battery it trickles fuel out has not sprayed a mist yet ... not sure if that’s due to incorrect fuel pressure or clogged injector. I swapped regulator still same result I don’t have a pressure gauge yet but fuel into rail seems good whe I prime pump a strong burst shoots out of line into rail. My other question or concern is it possible the sludge could be causing clearance issues for intake and exhaust valves in chamber? I tried looking for hours to verify if that’s a possibility also on atleast one valve I can see a small gap around it when it looks to be at bottom of rotation not sure if that’s normal gal is maybe 1/16” . I am grabbing different injectors to try today after work and hopefully a pressure gauage as well ... just odd all this to be issue after riding daily prob putting 500 miles on it with 0 issues .i did fill tank on way home last time it was running than next day it started rite up for few minutes than stalled out and never started again .still cranks strong and has good spark will fire rite up if spray starting fluid in. If the KPS was bad would it allow for any spark?

Comment

Jdc22, do you have the service manual downloaded? or a hard copy of it? You are going to need it.

I'm at work now. More thoughts later.......
            January 2012 - BBOTM & TLOTM

Comment

Working...
            X