no power to dash or ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no power to dash or ignition

I have a 99 TLR and its shut off on me recently after I pulled into my driveway (I was riding out in the rain as well). Now when I turn the ignition key to ON, none of the dash lights or headlights come on. If I turn the key to the Park position the back break light comes on as expected though. I tried jumping it and no luck. Im thinking that its an electrical problem, (maybe I blew a fuses somewhere) but I just dont know where to begin diagnosing. Any ideas?

Does the bike start?

Have you checked the fuses on the right side on the airtube:dunno
    TLOTM:
    May 2003
    August 2004

Comment

also:

the bike doesnt start either. should i still check the fuses on the right side airtube?

Comment

That's the first place I'd look

and pull the battery door off and check the connections in there.
        TLOTM:
        May 2003
        August 2004

Comment

pulled the battery cover off and checked the connections there. everything seems ok. this is a newbie question, but how would i go about checking the fuses?

Comment

also, im using a lower amp battery (9amp) than the standard 12amp. im not sure if that couldve caused some electrical problem. the back break light comes on so im guessing its not the battery connections.

Comment

Originally posted by gqk7667
              pulled the battery cover off and checked the connections there. everything seems ok. this is a newbie question, but how would i go about checking the fuses?

unscrew the little black screw on the top of the fusebox.

Then pull out the fuses and make sure they are not blown,

Have you ever seen a blown fuse

I've never heard of anyone using a smaller battery, that can't be good
              TLOTM:
              May 2003
              August 2004

Comment

hehe...did you check the ignition kill switch?

-

Comment

still no power to the bike.

-running with a 12v battery on the bike.

-ive entertained the idea that the ignition kill switch is not working but even then, the dash lights would come on so that cant be it.

-ive checked the fuses are they are all fine.
                  bike is running stock (power commander is out and stock pipes are on).

-right before it shut off i did smell extra gas in the air but i wasnt sure whether it was from old staled fuel burning off (old fuel had been sitting in the tank for 8 months before it was sold to me)

any other ideas?

Comment

Have you checked all the connectors on the wiring harness? under the seat, and on the seft side under the blinker cover.

have you tried jump starting it?
                    TLOTM:
                    May 2003
                    August 2004

Comment

i did try jumpstarting it (with a car battery) while the car was running and while it was not running for different voltage output.
                      i also checked the wire connectors on the left side panel but i wasnt exactly sure what i was checking when i looked on the panel. everything looked fine (nothing looked burned out or no wires looked exposed).

i didnt look under the seat only because i thought the wiring related to the problem would be somewhere in the front (the back light turns on when the key is in the 'park' position)

Comment

Still not going since the 7th of September?

Give the bars a good wiggle lock to kock with the battery in and key on and see if the dash lights up. It might be a broken wire in the loom to the ignition switch.

There is more than one supply to the switch, so the fact the parking light comes on doesn't really help except confirm that the battery has some voltage.
                        "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Working...
                        X