Rims, Tires, Black, White etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims, Tires, Black, White etc...

Alright guys, I have a couple of questions and concerns that I think you guys can help me out with. I have been itching to get my rims powdercoated for some time now and I found a place that will do them for $50 a pop. So first off, does that seem reasonable?

Secondly, I have a surgery thing on Wednesday so I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to take them tommorrow since the turn around time is about a week and I probably shouldn't be doing a lot of riding right after since they say no heavy lifting and all that junk. Anyway, by the time I get out of work and by the time I could get my rims off all the dealerships will be closed so I won't be able to get the tires professionally taken off tonight. If I am going to make this happen I need to get them there in the morning so what can I do to get the tires off. I just got the M1's from the raffle so I don't care about the old tires. Can I cut the bastards off? Will a hacksaw go through them?

Thirdly, do I need any special tools to get the front wheel off? Do I have everything I'll need in the tool kit?

Fourthly, what do I need to do to get the rims prepped for powdercoating? Meaning, what do I need to take off? The guy does all the sandblasting etc. I need to know about bearings and all that. Any tips about this would be appreciated.

Anything else you guys can think of would be great, I'm going to be crammed for time and I don't want to forget anything.
    2003 Blue and White TL1000R (The faster colors) Yoshimura Ti Cans, TRE, Custom Homemade Fender Eliminator, Hammerit Carbon Look Intake Covers, PC II, Fan Switch Mod. Yellow Box, Nissin Brake Caliper and Goodridge SS Brake Lines.

They say that only the good die young, so I plan on living forevever.

#1 STUNT FORUM SUPPORTER

Re: Rims, Tires, Black, White etc...

Originally posted by Jokertlr
    Alright guys, I have a couple of questions and concerns that I think you guys can help me out with. I have been itching to get my rims powdercoated for some time now and I found a place that will do them for $50 a pop. So first off, does that seem reasonable?

Secondly, I have a surgery thing on Wednesday so I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to take them tommorrow since the turn around time is about a week and I probably shouldn't be doing a lot of riding right after since they say no heavy lifting and all that junk. Anyway, by the time I get out of work and by the time I could get my rims off all the dealerships will be closed so I won't be able to get the tires professionally taken off tonight. If I am going to make this happen I need to get them there in the morning so what can I do to get the tires off. I just got the M1's from the raffle so I don't care about the old tires. Can I cut the bastards off? Will a hacksaw go through them?

Thirdly, do I need any special tools to get the front wheel off? Do I have everything I'll need in the tool kit?

Fourthly, what do I need to do to get the rims prepped for powdercoating? Meaning, what do I need to take off? The guy does all the sandblasting etc. I need to know about bearings and all that. Any tips about this would be appreciated.

Anything else you guys can think of would be great, I'm going to be crammed for time and I don't want to forget anything.
    You have everything in your tool kit to take the front rim off.

I would think the place doing the powder coating would tell you if you need to prep the wheels.

Good luck!!!!
    Batestlr1000

2002 R1 (Silver)

Comment

cutting tires off would be a total beeeaaatch. getting through the bead would really suck since it is below the lip of the rim. try to fin a set of tire levers - would be the easiest way (short of a tire machine). the bearings would have to come out, but here is the catch. most of the time when you remove them you should just replace them with new ones anyway, so you might be able to use a BFS and BFH to pound them out (this will destroy them) if you dont have a bearing press/puller. they might even agree to powdercoating them with the bearings still in, but again they would probably need to be replaced after the powdercoating

you can get the front wheel off with the toolkit (on a tls anyway - pretty sure the tlr is the same). that price sounds pretty good. powdercoating and anodizing can be cheap or costly as hell, depending on who you know and where you live

hope this helps

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
      "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
      -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

Make sure you get them clearcoated on top of the base powdercoating color. Easier to keep clean and protects the color from grease, rock chips, brake cleaner, whatever, they'll last longer. Also most places charge for preping the rim (sandblasting) and the clearcoat is usually an extra cost. I had my last bikes rims blasted, powdercoated and clearcoated for $210 out the door, well worth it.

Comment

$50 is pretty good.

Don't try to cut off the tire, it'll be a biatch. If you can break the bead you could pull it off with some tire levers and soap. (If you don't HAVE tire levers, I wouldn't try.. You'll end up gouging the rim with just about anything else.)

Rotors, gotta come off. Valve Stem, gotta come out. Bearings gotta come out.. You'll need a drift and a big hammer. Order new bearings AND seals now, so they'll be here when the rims come back.

You may wanna not rush the project to fit your surgery schedule, and do it right the first time. You may be out the bike an extra day, but it's worth it not to gouge up the rims because beadblasting won't take that out.

Good luck!
          I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

I thought about this too but this weekend I resorted to the Krylon Method... I took both wheels, rotars and Sprocket off taped them up and painted them cush drive and all. I figured that with the amount of tires I put on each year that the Powder coating would be a bitch to touch up . I am very pleased with the outcome and will post some pics soon. $9.99 beats $250.00 any day.. No runs, drips ect. very clean looking. Stock rims just arent worth Powder Coating IMOO....
            Marc
            www.sportbiketracktime.com
            Southern Division Coach

Comment

Originally posted by TLR67
              I thought about this too but this weekend I resorted to the Krylon Method... I took both wheels, rotars and Sprocket off taped them up and painted them cush drive and all. I figured that with the amount of tires I put on each year that the Powder coating would be a bitch to touch up . I am very pleased with the outcome and will post some pics soon. $9.99 beats $250.00 any day.. No runs, drips ect. very clean looking. Stock rims just arent worth Powder Coating IMOO....
              Marc
              I guess your not buying my rims.
              Batestlr1000

2002 R1 (Silver)

Comment

Sorry Mike.. Did you hear from Reece?? I think he was interested in your Bike with them....
                www.sportbiketracktime.com
                Southern Division Coach

Comment

Originally posted by TLR67
                  Sorry Mike.. Did you hear from Reece?? I think he was interested in your Bike with them....
                  That's alright. No I have not heard from Reece.
                  Batestlr1000

2002 R1 (Silver)

Comment

what is the place joker? i found a place that does powdercoating, but i cant remember the name, and i never called to see how much they charge...

Comment

Originally posted by horkn
                      what is the place joker? i found a place that does powdercoating, but i cant remember the name, and i never called to see how much they charge...
                      Its called Hy-Tec and its in Waukesha. The guy was passing out business cards one Wednesday before a lot of people showed up for bike night.
                      2003 Blue and White TL1000R (The faster colors) Yoshimura Ti Cans, TRE, Custom Homemade Fender Eliminator, Hammerit Carbon Look Intake Covers, PC II, Fan Switch Mod. Yellow Box, Nissin Brake Caliper and Goodridge SS Brake Lines.

#1 STUNT FORUM SUPPORTER

Comment

you will definately have to remove the bearings and tape off the area where they go. If not when they put the wheel in the oven the grease will run out. That sounds like a real good price just make sure they mask off the area where the bearing go or they wont be going back in
                        Everyone dies but not everyone lives

Comment

Originally posted by Stabber
                          you will definately have to remove the bearings and tape off the area where they go. If not when they put the wheel in the oven the grease will run out. That sounds like a real good price just make sure they mask off the area where the bearing go or they wont be going back in
                          Took me a little bit to figure out what you were saying but I think I got it. If I were to leave the bearings in the grease would leak out in the oven and if I don't have them tape up where the bearings go they won't fit anymore right? You didn't mean that grease will leak out where the bearings go if they don't tape it even if the bearings are out?

Any, got the tires off and the bearings out with no major problems so they are just sitting and waiting to be carted off to powdercoater in the morning.

#1 STUNT FORUM SUPPORTER

Comment

i think he meant that if that space gets powdercoated, it will be too small for the bearings to fit back in (since they fit in super tight)

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
                            "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
                            -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

Originally posted by kevh
                              i think he meant that if that space gets powdercoated, it will be too small for the bearings to fit back in (since they fit in super tight)
                              That part I got but at first I was like where is the grease if the bearings are out . But then I figured it out. I think if the powdercoater would not tape that off he it would call into play the "Dumb Fuck Clause" and he would have to pay me a lot of money. I'll still let him know just in case.

#1 STUNT FORUM SUPPORTER

Comment

Working...
                              X