190 rear tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 190 rear tire question

Why do the 50 and the 55 handle different?
    Ride height or tire profile?

The height and profile both effect the way a tire will handle! Is there a 190/55 tire? I dont know I am always jsut looking at the 180/55.
    http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
    My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

i believe there is a 190/55 tire, but race only

Comment

yep...190/55 is very limited. pretty much just race compounds and only by 2 manufacturers i think

55 is a "peakier" profile so you get turn in like a 180/55 with the contact patch (bigger) of a 190/50

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
        "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
        -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

Or is it just taller, sorta like shimming the rear shock up?

Comment

Sport Rider did a comparo on this exact thing. They showed the profiles of a 180/55, a 190/50 and a 190/55 (all on 6 inch rims) super imposed onto each other. The 180/55 and the 190/55 were identical except for the width of the tire and the 190/50 was way flatter. I believe Pirelli is the only company offering 190/55's........ but I'm not 100% sure.
            Stupidity is like chlorine for the gene pool.......

Comment

One thing it does is change the geometry of the bike and also the contact patch.
              Everyone dies but not everyone lives

Comment

I just bought a set of Pirelli supercorsas off ebay and the rear is a 190/55---not sure if other companies make them
                "I might just fade into Bolivion"~Mike Tyson

Comment

metelzer rennsports come in 190/55 profile.

Comment

Here's my reviews of the 3 tires

Maker-Metzler
                    Model- Rennsport
                    Size- Front 120/70 - Rear- 190/50
                    Installed on- Suzuki TL1000R
                    Ridden for 2 track days
                    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1
                    Comments-

Awesome tire, i'm running hard/street compound on both front and rear. Stuck like a fly on poo. Heat up super fast, and also very light tires. I'm also running these on the street, hence the reason for the hard/street compound. I'm not expecting these to last long on the street though. I picked up a nail in the pits of spokane in my rear, so now i've switched to a supercorsa rear

Comment

Maker-Pirelli
                      Model- Supercorsa
                      Size- Rear- 180/55
                      Ridden for 3 track days
                      Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1.5
                      Comments-

Again, another sticky tire. I'm again running hard/street compound. From what i've been told, this is the exact same compound and design as the Metzler Rennsport, the only difference being the tread design. I went down 1 tire size to see the difference it made in handling, the tire turns in quicker than the 190/50, but doesn't feel quite right. It doesn't feel as stable as the larger tire, thus i have less confidence on the smaller size. Maybe it has to do with stretching the smaller tire onto a larger rim than it was not intended for, i dunno. I'll be switching back to a 190/50 Supercorsa hard/street compound after this one, i'd rather muscle the bike in the corners and control it myself instead of letting the bike fall over with ease and ride itself. I'm running the 120/70 Rennsport on the front tire at the same time. I gave it a 0.5 reading worse than the rennsport only cause of the 180/55 tire size that i didn't like, but it's pretty much the exact same tire.

Comment

Maker-Metzler
                        Model- Rennsport sc2
                        Size- Rear- 190/55
                        Ridden for 2 track days at Spokane
                        Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1.0++
                        Comments-

Like the above reviews, sticks awesome. I went with this tire cause of the 55 profile but a 190 contact patch, and let me say, this profile is the CATS ass! turns likes a 180/55, but friggin unbelievably stable at full lean compared to the 180/55, I felt so much confidence on this tire compared to the 180/55, that i was able to give her much more gas and much more eariler on in the corners.... I'm gonna be sticking with this profile for now.... it's a shame nobody makes this profile in street tires, cause it's waYYY better than the 190/50 for cornering and better than stretching a 180/55 onto a 6" rim which changes the profile and makes it not as stable.

Comment

Damn!!! great pics miker

who said pics are worth a thousand words

Maybe the big guys will start making the 190/55's this year:dunno

I hope so, that has to raise the assend....right
                          TLOTM:
                          May 2003
                          August 2004

Comment

only metzerelli makes a 190/55 and only in race compound.
                            AFM #715
                            Suomy, Leo Vince Exhausts, Stompgrip, Sidi/Motonation, Lockhart Philips, Sonny Engineering, RK Racing Chains, AFAM

Comment

Good comparo mike!
                              Looks like I found 3 companies making the 190 55 all in race only comps.
                              Bridgestone bt001
                              Metzeler renss rs1-2
                              Pirelli supercorsa sc1-2
                              Let's hope for some street comps

Comment

Working...
                              X