Stupid jacking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid jacking question

I need to take off my forks. What is the best way to jack up the front? Is it OK to use a floor jack on the bottom of the engine with a 2x4 for cushion? Or should I rig something to the headstock? Thanks

before i had a front stand i would put the rear on a rear stand. use a ratchet stand over the rear tire to secure the rear to the stand. then use a floor jack under the motor with a piece of wood and jack the bike up slowly. too much and you will see the rear stand raising off of the ground. put something heavy on the rear stand and it helps. once up high enough, i used long straps to support the bike from the rafters in my garage

be sure to loosen the front axle, calipers, etc up front before jacking it up so you aren't jerking the bike around alot when it is on the jack

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
    "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
    -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

Sounds good to me. thats kind of what I do.
      RIP Ron
      Sept. 12 2004

Comment

this is what I did.....
        http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
        My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

close up...

Comment

make sure you have the bike strapped like that. if you just put it on the rear stand and jack it up under the motor (like i used to do all the time on my gsxr 750) it will fall over. found that out the hard way
            [email protected]

Comment

I'd just save-up and buy a Pit-bull stand or the like. It's pays-off in the longrun and you can use it on all of your bikes with the appropriate pins.
              It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example.

Comment

Seca is that in your house?

Comment

A set of good stands are one of the most useful tools you can have in the shed. Save all that mucking around and the risk of the bike falling over, just pull them out and in 10 seconds your done. May not be cheap but certainly a good investment and you can use them on just about any bike.
                  Retired the TLR for a Gixxer 1K. Sorry boys I sold you out

Comment

Seca, is that your house? Or your rental house? Eitherway, have you had bids for the vinyl floor redo, yet?
                    I've not seen a garage that looks like a dining area before....... Hey do you eat off the bike, like it's a table or somethin?
                    If you do, try drinking sake & eating sukiyaki while dining at your suzuki....Seca.

Comment

Seca is a single man, I wager
                      "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Its inside my apratment. I have it kept in what was supposed to be the sunroom. Its to friggin hot to work on it outside. Before I moved into this apartment I had them put down all new carpet and flooring except in that one room cause I knew it was going to get tore up. The big shocker is no im not single, happily married and my wife doesnt mind that when people come over they see a big ass bike sitting in our sunroom. It actually makes a great conversation peace.

Comment

this is how it looks from the living room!

Comment

I feel it is a legitimate way to furnish a house. I have always said if I get to build my own place one day, it will have a large open plan bike and car workplace inside, hanging off the living area.

The high dollar exotic car will naturally be parked on its giant turntable, inside a glass walled garage adjoining the entrance, for all to see

Nice cats
                            Used to ride a '01 TLR

Comment

Working...
                            X