Global Positioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Positioning

Anyone done a GPS install? Looking for some tips and possibly pics.
    Thanks a ton,
    Ryan

Two guys I ride with have "rechargable" GPS units that they have mounted to there bikes, but none "hard-wired"
    "Damn... my brain just stopped"

Comment

I've seen a few bikes with a Garmin that sticks under the wind screen behind that gauges. I'm pretty sure they just stick some velcro on em and ride.
      Check out Florida State's First Motorcycle Club www.seminoleriders.com

Comment

Uhhh I know what a gps is but why do you use it on a bike, not knocking it just curious

Comment

You get the most accurate TOP SPEED readings with those.
          "Damn... my brain just stopped"

Comment

Try those tank bag mounts that screw into the gas cap ring.. Looks pretty cool, and won't get too in the way..
            I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

Sweet Idea! I think its a winner

Comment

I have one on mine!!!! I never look at my speed-o now just the GPS... I don't have a dig camera but I will see if my friend does.. I have it hard wired also.. What you need is a sig lighter adapt and go to a local sporting good store and get a bike handle bar mount and wa-la... I have the Garmin .... you put the bar mount on the tube frame thing that comes across the frount of the tank ( I put mine to the left side) and then you get the sig adapt and take off the end cap and solder a piece of wire to the fuse and put the cap back on.. then take the end of that and connect it to you battery.. I've had mine on for 8 mths and will not kill the battery... Need more info just ask me!!! I will try to post a photo this weekend if I can..
                YES it's a V-twin... NO it's not a harley...

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea.

Comment

I was thinking about getting a Garmin eTrex and mount it to the fairing stay. Something simple. I mostly want it to show my current speed since I recently rode past one of those "You are going" speed signs and it said I was doing way less than my speedo indicated. Plus on some of my rides it would be nice to map them for future use.
                    - If you find this site useful kick us a few bucks. <a href="http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/billspaypal.php"><b><font color="blue">Tip cup</font></b></a>
                    - Want to help support the Planet? <a href="http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/payments.php"><b><font color="blue">Subscribe</font></b></a>

Comment

be sure to take into account the gps current accuracy when looking at your speed. with a 150 foot accuracy, having the unit telling you that you are doing 60 mph isnt going to help much. i usually have a 10 ft accuracy though.

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
                      "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
                      -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

GPS

I've checked my speedo with my GPS enabled Nextel, and it's off by quite a bit. If I remember correctly, my speedo said 91mph and the phone reported 82mph. I trust the phone, since I've been in several vehicles going by those radar trailers, and the GPS is always spot on. Not to mention the speedo on my WRX is pretty close to true (within a % or two) and the GPS phone keeps it pretty close. Once you're moving, the GPS has no trouble with accuracy, especially at car speeds. (the Motorola aGPS-chip documentation I read mentioned that it's most accurate at highway speeds)

I've written a few different programs using the embedded GPS on my phone, and it's a pretty cool toy. I've got the one that displays your current speed, direction, altitude and accuracy (both speed and altitude have separate accuracy readings with that particular chip) and since there's no way I'm going to ride around holding my cell phone in my hand, it keeps track of min and max for speed and altitude to check later when you stop. that's also cool for top speed runs. (160mph so far, racing a C5 convertible)

Then I wrote another one called BreadCrumbsMidlet that keeps track of where you've been by dropping dots on the screen so you can see a trace of your path. It doesn't have a map overlay yet, so it's fairly useless other than to find your way back to where you started or find the shortest real route to a place. It's also kinda cool to look at after you travel a route that you think you know, because you'll generally be surprised at how it looks from a satellite's-eye view.

Anyway, GPS's are a cool toy.

-B

Comment

Originally posted by kevh
                          be sure to take into account the gps current accuracy when looking at your speed. with a 150 foot accuracy, having the unit telling you that you are doing 60 mph isnt going to help much. i usually have a 10 ft accuracy though.
                          I guess I need to do more research on the whole GPS thing. I just assumed the speed reading would be accurate.
                          - If you find this site useful kick us a few bucks. <a href="http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/billspaypal.php"><b><font color="blue">Tip cup</font></b></a>
                          - Want to help support the Planet? <a href="http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/payments.php"><b><font color="blue">Subscribe</font></b></a>

Comment

GPS

I've checked my speedo with my GPS enabled Nextel, and it's off by quite a bit. If I remember correctly, my speedo said 91mph and the phone reported 82mph. I trust the phone, since I've been in several vehicles going by those radar trailers, and the GPS is always spot on. Not to mention the speedo on my WRX is pretty close to true (within a % or two) and the GPS phone keeps it pretty close. Once you're moving, the GPS has no trouble with accuracy, especially at car speeds. (the Motorola aGPS-chip documentation I read mentioned that it's most accurate at highway speeds)

I've written a few different programs using the embedded GPS on my phone, and it's a pretty cool toy. I've got the one that displays your current speed, direction, altitude and accuracy (both speed and altitude have separate accuracy readings with that particular chip) and since there's no way I'm going to ride around holding my cell phone in my hand, it keeps track of min and max for speed and altitude to check later when you stop. that's also cool for top speed runs. (160mph so far, racing a C5 convertible)

Then I wrote another one called BreadCrumbsMidlet that keeps track of where you've been by dropping dots on the screen so you can see a trace of your path. It doesn't have a map overlay yet, so it's fairly useless other than to find your way back to where you started or find the shortest real route to a place. It's also kinda cool to look at after you travel a route that you think you know, because you'll generally be surprised at how it looks from a satellite's-eye view.

Anyway, GPS's are a cool toy.

-B

Comment

If you just want you're true speed.. Pickup one of thost Bike speedos.. (BC-800 I think?) I have one, but haven't bothered installing it yet.. I really got to get to this stuff someday..
                              I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

Working...
                              X