Mixing Rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing Rubber

Are there any real drawbacks to mixing the front back tire combinations?

My D207 is fried in the back and I was looking at the the BT's
    Galfer braided lines throughout, ATRE, UFO tailight, ET79 Undertail and Hugger, 520 16/39 Gold Chain combo, Full Yosh C/F exhuast, Corbin seat, Ohlins Steering Damper, Ohlins Rear Suspension, Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen, Sylvania Superwhites, Yosh Box Remapped and all protected by GORILLA Alarm System

Probably depends how hard you ride it.

Me personally I wouldn't do it, although I wont even mix and match different tyres of the same brand .i.e MEZ3's and M1's, but that's me and it help me sleep better

I just think that tyres manufactured to complement each other is the better choice.
    "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Go ahead and do it. I was running a pilot sport on the rear and an Avon Azuro on the front. I wouldnt worry about it unless you ride very very hard or plan on taking it to the track.
      http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
      My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

"Hey if it aint good enough for racers it aint good enough for me."

Comment

someone needs to stop doing burnouts.
          I know nothing about bikes.

Comment

isn't it ok as long as the rear is not as grippy as the front

Comment

Damn you Rupes
              "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

"Hey if it aint good enough for racers it aint good enough for me."
                But since you're probably not as good as a racer, then it should be good enough for you.
                Frank Corona

Comment

I won't do it, but it should be ok as long as the front has the same or softer compound. Also some tire pairs are designed different for rain. Some ( set 1)the front does all the work of displacing the water and some (set 2) both do the work. I would not combined the rear from set 1 with the front from Set 2 because the rear is not designed to displace water at all and the front of set 2 does not displace as well since both are designed to do that. Did that make any sense?
                  RIP Ron
                  Sept. 12 2004

Comment

It's not just a grippy + less grippy problem. People intentionally mix levels of grip successfully all the time. Often the bigger problem is the profile of the tire. Some manufacturers have a cross section that looks more like a 'V' and some have a cross section that looks more a 'U'. Mixing a tire that drops in quickly with a more stable smoother turn in tire makes for a bike that has handling schizophrenia. On a car, it's a big deal at all, but it can be very risky on a bike. Even if you're not riding a bike to 99% of it's potential, with mixed tires, you can find certain lean angles, pressures, temps, road conditions etc that can all add up to a dangerous combo at unpredictable times. It is highly recommended to at least use the same manufacturer to eliminate as many mis-match factors as possible.
                    Nathan
                    2001 Ducati 996
                    Former 1997 TLS Owner

Of all manifestations of power, that which most impresses is restraint - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by mickyinaus
                      isn't it ok as long as the rear is not as grippy as the front
                      mixing compounds of the same tire is completely different than mixing tires. front and rear tire profiles are designed to work together and by going to 2 different profiles, you end up with less than stellar handling. think of a really round front tire mixed with a pointy rear tire...how is that going to handle? if you switch them, the front will turn in quick and the rear will want to slowly roll into the turn

mixing compounds on the other hand, is a matter of conditions/personal choice/bike/etc. you will still have profiles that are designed to work together, but can increase grip vs. wear on the end you need it (i.e. a sticky front to keep it from washing out and a harder rear to get more wear)

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
                      "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
                      -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

damn...nathan just beat me

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

CLICK HERE to donate a couple dollars/rubles/won/yen/euro/pounds/francs/etc to the greatest forum on the web!
                        "Aerodynamics are for those who fail to make HORSEPOWER!"
                        -Enzo Ferrari-

Comment

blah blah blah.. Yeah you can do it.. The results will vary based on the tires you choose.

You CAN do anything, just look at them mounted and check the profiles and try it out.

They used to take race compmound 16" fronts, reverse it, and put it on the rear wheel of EX250's at the track. And it worked great.. but I bet no tire maker EVER recommended it.
                          I've got a huge penis, You've got a huge penis, even Tim over there, yup you guessed it, huge penis. Good, now that that's out of the way, let's go ride

Comment

I have a Pilot Sport front and a MEZ3 rear at the moment due to the previous owner of the bike. Feels a bit skaty on turn in sometimes and I would prefer not to mix tyres. As soon as I get the dosh they're both being replaced with M1 Sportec's.

Comment

M-1's rock

Comment

Working...
                              X