goin to the 1/4 mle. pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goin to the 1/4 mle. pointers?

hey. hooked up w/ some guys that are goin to the trak to run tomorrow nite. i was invited and really want to go. want to see what my baby can do!! i need pointers since ive never dragged a bike before. what rpms should i have it at when the tree turns green? seating position? keep in mind i only have the m4 f/s. any other pointers so i dont look like a punk?
    Sebimoto Carbonfiber Bodywork, Zero Gravity D/B dark tinted screen, Carbo tech C/F frame guards, C/F look levers, black Spider grips, M4 Full system (alum), PC2, Light tech C/F mirrors, GeeLong C/F tank protector, 520 Conversion W/ Gold RK chain and 16/40 stealth sprockets, Pedros Gear Position Indicator, Fan switch, Airbox lid.....REMOVED, Probolt Fasteners all Gold. Spare Set of AMA's Larry Pegram #72 bodywork, Gold clear clutch cover, Galfer rear wave rotor, Pro-Tek Rearsets, Flycal6 quick release tank and seat pins, in the black frame club, Vandrivers coerce style sprocket guard, and a killer TLR keychain

drop the psi in your rear tire, seems to help launching the tl's a little and do everything you can to keep your front wheel down and you'll be fast, relax it's supposed to be fun, race yourself, not other peoples times, since it's your first time it's not going to break any records, just relax and enjoy yourself

Comment

Ye

don't burnt your clutch and try to keep the front wheel down.

enjoy
      Don't cha know the Yellow one's are fastest!

Comment

well ohw do you burn your cutch? dont wanna do that, sounds bad. al what psdo i go down to? wil it b safe enough to rde thee and bak? its 20m each way.
        Sebimoto Carbonfiber Bodywork, Zero Gravity D/B dark tinted screen, Carbo tech C/F frame guards, C/F look levers, black Spider grips, M4 Full system (alum), PC2, Light tech C/F mirrors, GeeLong C/F tank protector, 520 Conversion W/ Gold RK chain and 16/40 stealth sprockets, Pedros Gear Position Indicator, Fan switch, Airbox lid.....REMOVED, Probolt Fasteners all Gold. Spare Set of AMA's Larry Pegram #72 bodywork, Gold clear clutch cover, Galfer rear wave rotor, Pro-Tek Rearsets, Flycal6 quick release tank and seat pins, in the black frame club, Vandrivers coerce style sprocket guard, and a killer TLR keychain

Comment

Well funny you are asking this since a buddy and I just took our bikes to the high school drags last Friday night. Oh what an experience that was. I was going to post about it but didn't. There were like 20-30 bikes there, mostly squids on R1's and such. Me and my buddy felt like old geezers when we showed up. There were a handfull of other older dudes so we weren't too out of place. Any way back to the question. I had never taken a bike to the strip either and I was in the same boat - didn't want to look like a retard. I couldn't keep my back wheel from spinning at the line and my buddy couldn't keep the front end of his Superhawk on the ground. I just did a fast take off, nothing crazy, weight somewhat forward and had the RPMs up a little before the green. If my pics of the squids on their neon gixxers turned out I would post them but they look like crap. Hope this helps a little. By the way they weren't timeing the night I went but at the end of the trap I was showing 135 MPH on my speedo. I wish they were running the clock though.
          - If you find this site useful kick us a few bucks. <a href="http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/billspaypal.php"><b><font color="blue">Tip cup</font></b></a>
          - Want to help support the Planet? <a href="http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/payments.php"><b><font color="blue">Subscribe</font></b></a>

Comment

Originally posted by jasonstiller
            well ohw do you burn your cutch? dont wanna do that, sounds bad. al what psdo i go down to? wil it b safe enough to rde thee and bak? its 20m each way.
            been drinking a little

Comment

I used to drag my old bike quite a bit, but I've never gotten the TL out to the track. Anyway, the best thing I can tell you is don't let the clutch out too slow, but don't just drop it either........feather it with the throttle until you get it all the way out (then wring the shit right out of it!!!) Also, don't wait for the light to go green. Instead, leave on the last amber (You'll have a much better reaction time that way) But most of all, be careful. Most honest to god tracks put VHT (think liquid flypaper) in the staging lanes which makes it VERY easy to get the front end of your bike off the ground. Take it slow the first few runs and tell us how you do!!!!!
              Stupidity is like chlorine for the gene pool.......

Comment

Originally posted by TL4LIFE
                been drinking a little

yeah what the hell is that?

Good luck jt, dont be a tard
                TLOTM:
                May 2003
                August 2004

Comment

Originally posted by TL4LIFE
                  been drinking a little
                  damn this wireless keyboard is stupid sorry, mabey i should proofread a little huh

Comment

Re: goin to the 1/4 mle. pointers?

[B]hey. hooked up w/ some guys that are goin to the trak to run tomorrow nite

Which track are you going to, River City, or Alamo Would love to check it out

Comment

damn this wireless keyboard is stupid sorry, mabey i should proofread a little huh
                      Excused...I have a wireless too and it likes to do that every so often
                      "I might just fade into Bolivion"~Mike Tyson

Comment

I have that wireless Microsoft Desktop Pro or something like that black and gray and it eats through batteries and loses it's connection all the time piece of crap

Comment

I did a ton of runs on my old Ninja 750, but not the TLS yet. Maybe sometime I will have to accompany N2Wheelies as he goes a lot to Carlsbad. He was sporty enough to tag along on a few of my canyon runs so I owe him a run or two at the strip!

Anyway, my strategy on the Ninja was to not use too much RPM leaving the line (no more than 6,000 on the peakier Ninja, I can imagine no more than 4,500 to 5,000 on a torque laden TL) and while I didn't "dump" the clutch, I tried to get it over with as soon as possible and short shift into 2nd quick because it was hard to shift out of first fast enough once I left the line. Then pin that mofo while being vigilant for wheelies, hit 3rd and enjoy the ride.

Maybe not a race winning strategy, but I ran consistent 11.5's at 121-123 mph, time after time on that 750. There was hardly anyone there and it was pretty much make a run, pick up the slip and to the burnout box, wait for one or two people and then make anouther run. I did not bother with dry hops or anything, just runnin it! Went through 3/4 of a tank of gas, 1/4 mile at a time

By the way, when you see the bottom yellow light, leave. Don't wait to see green or your reaction time will suck.
                          "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

where's n2wheel? he should have some good pointers.

anyway, you'll want to keep as much of your weight up front to keep the front wheel down.

i don't know how much psi you want. you may want to do a quick burnout (1-3sec) just to scrub the tire a little and generate a little bit of heat but not overcook the tire or it'll get greasy.

get a feel for the clutch, friction zone. i rev to about 5-7k RPM then slowly slip the clutch out while the bike starts to move.

i keep both feet on the ground to keep even weight distribution so the bike doesn't wander 1 way or the other when launching. as soon as most things are settled, i immediately start going through the gears w/ clutchless upshifts.

i don't drag race, but the idea is the same as a regular race start.
                            AFM #715
                            Suomy, Leo Vince Exhausts, Stompgrip, Sidi/Motonation, Lockhart Philips, Sonny Engineering, RK Racing Chains, AFAM

Comment

Re: Re: goin to the 1/4 mle. pointers?

Originally posted by breedz
                              Which track are you going to, River City, or Alamo Would love to check it out
                              i dont know since im new to the area but apparently its real popular. they had it on the news a few weeks ago. i THINK its alamo but im not sure. my buddie said it was a little bit out of town. whatever that means

Comment

Working...
                              X