Need help changing my spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help changing my spark plugs

I'm want to change my plugs now but I don't know where they are and I can't find my owners manual. Someone help before it gets dark.

YOUR SPARK PLUGS ARE ON THE TOP OF THE HEADS. THE REAR CYLINDER PLUG IS RELITIVELY EASY TO CHANGE. IT IS LOCATED UNDER THE GAS TANK/SEAT. YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE BOTH TO REACH. THE FRONT IS DIRECTLY BEHIND THE UPPER RADIATOR. SO IT WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED FROM IT'S BRACKET. I HAVE FOUND THAT A NORMAL PLUG SOCKET WILL NOT WORK BECAUSE IT IS SO DEEP IN THE HEAD SO YOU WILL NEED THE SUZUKI TOOL KIT THAT CAME WITH YOUR BIKE. GOOD LUCK, I HOPE THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HELP
    Beauty is only Skin Deep, She's pretty on the inside!

Comment

The rear is easy to get to...remove seat and lift tank. On the front...remove the fairings and you will need to unbolt the radiators. Keep the hoses connected. Once they are loose just move them out of the way to get to the plug.
      Common sense is not very common.

Comment

Gotta take off the horn for the front. Only remove one of the bolts on the bottom of the radiator and just loosten the other so it can be moved up and down easily.
        2001 Suzuki TL1000R:

Full M4 exhaust w/ Titanium cans
        K&N filter
        Yosh. Box (YAFMS)remap
        OHLINS damper
        +2 AFAM Sprocket
        Corbin seat
        Bike Design no-cut frame protectors
        Bitubo shock
        EBC HH Pads
        Memphis Shades windscreen

Comment

thanks guys just what I needed.

Comment

I just gave my bike the complete go over, fluids, plugs, cleaned the BMC etc. What a pain in the balls the front plug was. I had to take the fairings, air rams, etc completly off to get at the radiator bolts to lower it enough to get at it.

My only fear now is when the BMC dries and I replace it, the thing won't start and I have to do it all again

That would royally SUCK! Please tell me I don't have to do all that to set the TPS
            I've crashed both, and hurt myself worse on bicycles then I have on motorcyles!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyd
              I just gave my bike the complete go over, fluids, plugs, cleaned the BMC etc. What a pain in the balls the front plug was. I had to take the fairings, air rams, etc completly off to get at the radiator bolts to lower it enough to get at it.

My only fear now is when the BMC dries and I replace it, the thing won't start and I have to do it all again

That would royally SUCK! Please tell me I don't have to do all that to set the TPS
              That is one reason I am happy I went with Iridium plugs. I won't have to deal with that all the time.

Comment

see, one advantage to iridiums.....

Comment

Originally posted by horkn
                  see, one advantage to iridiums.....
                  What are "iridium" plugs.

YES... I do live in the basement of my mothers cave.
                  "Damn... my brain just stopped"

Comment

Speaking of iridium plugs....What are you guys paying for them? I asked my dealer, out of curiosity, what they get for them and it was $8 or $9 per plug. For a stinkin' spark plug? C'mon.

Comment

Originally posted by polarpc
                      Speaking of iridium plugs....What are you guys paying for them? I asked my dealer, out of curiosity, what they get for them and it was $8 or $9 per plug. For a stinkin' spark plug? C'mon.
                      My dealer quoted $18 each. I got them online both shipped for $19

Comment

Here's the front plug.
                        "We want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man.....and we want to get loaded!!"

Comment

Here's the rear.
                          "We want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man.....and we want to get loaded!!"

Comment

Here's a plug. It was $8 from the local shop. It took them about 3 days to get.

Comment

Re: Need help changing my spark plugs

if you order the Iridium plugs from advance auto parts the are about seven bucks + tax. the part number is CR9EIX (NGK). the stock number for advance is #3521.
                              ruffryda1961
                              Baby Twin
                              Last edited by ruffryda1961; 06-05-2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X