Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a TLR

Hello all, I am new here.

I'm thinking about replacing my beloved gixxer for a TLR, I need your help in deciding:

I have a couple of choices:

My local dealership has a leftover '02 -- what should I pay for that? I'm in SoCal...

-OR-

Buy a used '01, which will save me some money, probably have some upgrades, too. Plus I REALLY love the '01 B/W color scheme. (I'm wondering if someone out there would trade their '01 color scheme with me, if I buy a brand new one now).

What should I do?

If I go USED:

I am HOPING I find one that is:

1) Clean titled
    2) Low Miles
    3) Never Crashed
    4) Adult owned
    5) Has Yosh Pipes
    6) Has a PC --- what kind is the best for the TLR?
    7) etc/whatever...

If I go used... is there anything important I should know about the '01 TLR?

Decisions, decisions , please help.

Well your gixxer looks wery nice
    I´ll let teh TLR boys give you the right answer.
    Good luck whit the new one when you get it.
    And ofcourse Welcome to the Planet
    Originally posted by TLCURT
    Because TL's fucking rock.

It's a cult thing...to own one is to love one.

Comment

Going from yellow to B/W I wonder......

I say go for a new 0 mile bike, but you will surely get a better deal on a used/modded one.

Tough call Don't pay more than 8-8200 OTD Where are you looking?
      TLOTM:
      May 2003
      August 2004

Comment

Originally posted by SDTLR

Going from yellow to B/W I wonder......

I say go for a new 0 mile bike, but you will surely get a better deal on a used/modded one.

Looks whos talking...
        TL1000R -99. Yellow/Black.
        M4 Full system(Alu), K&N Filter, TRE mod, removed Pair valve. Yoshimura clutch cover, removed Scissor gears, Carbon fibre hugger, carbon fibre rearhugger, HammerIt TLR/R fairings, Gilles Toolings rearset. Pazzo racing levers, shorties, Öhlins rear, Brembo front brakes, ET79 undertail, blah blah blah...
        ------------

Comment

Re: Buying a TLR

Originally posted by migz123

Buy a used '01, which will save me some money, probably have some upgrades, too. Plus I REALLY love the '01 B/W color scheme. (I'm wondering if someone out there would trade their '01 color scheme with me, if I buy a brand new one now).

What should I do?

If I go USED:

I am HOPING I find one that is:

1) Clean titled
          2) Low Miles
          3) Never Crashed
          4) Adult owned
          5) Has Yosh Pipes
          6) Has a PC --- what kind is the best for the TLR?
          7) etc/whatever...

If I go used... is there anything important I should know about the '01 TLR?

That Gixer looked Sweet!!!

Decisions.
          Well, if you can find that low millage TLR, get it!

There is NO what so ever difference between 98 --> 02 TLRs.
          Except for the paint.

I would only buy a new if I couldn´t find a second handed in good condition.

Look at the front suspencion. TLRs are fun to wheelie with.
          but they are also quite front heavy, and it´s too easy to have a little to hard 2whelle re-entry.

M4 sounds better than Yosh...

If used, ask the owner to write down EVERY mod he have done. The list can be quite long...

Ask specifically if he have done the TRE mod, and if he have removed the, the, (damn, forgot the name) cam spocket mod (plz help here... ) that makes it revs faster. also makes the ticking a bit louder (yes, that IS possible even on a TL... )

It SHOULD Tick Loudly - if it doesn´t. Don´t buy it. ...

All the usual stuff to, of course.

Don´t trust the odometer to much tho. It is kind of easy to dissconnect it and run with a bi-cycle meters instead. Check the general impression on the bike.
          M4 Full system(Alu), K&N Filter, TRE mod, removed Pair valve. Yoshimura clutch cover, removed Scissor gears, Carbon fibre hugger, carbon fibre rearhugger, HammerIt TLR/R fairings, Gilles Toolings rearset. Pazzo racing levers, shorties, Öhlins rear, Brembo front brakes, ET79 undertail, blah blah blah...
          ------------

Comment

Re: Re: Buying a TLR

Originally posted by PutteLiten
            That Gixer looked Sweet!!!

Ask specifically if he have done the TRE mod, and if he have removed the, the, (damn, forgot the name) cam spocket mod (plz help here... ) that makes it revs faster. also makes the ticking a bit louder (yes, that IS possible even on a TL... )

It SHOULD Tick Loudly - if it doesn´t. Don´t buy it. ...

Thanks for the response.

...Not sure what the cam sprocket mod is... and you mentioned the bike should TICK LOUDLY? ... Watchoo mean?

Comment

If you are not used to Suzukis, then you might think something is broken.
              But, my friend has a GSX600R, and that one have more engine nocie than mine, and he has had it by a couple of workshops and he always ask about it, but that sound is OK. You had a Gixxer 600 to, so for you, the sound might sound "normal".

Cam gear makes a lot of noice on the TL, thats all. and the Scissor gear mod, it should be.
              (My error)

Scissor gears and scissor gear springs, the scissor gears are supposed to help reduce cam gear noise.

The scissor gears go on the end of the cams.
              (Thanks for that Steve!! )

You cant see if the mod is done. that´s why I think you should ask about it.

They look like this, if you get some spare part from him.

You gain faster rev and a bout 2hp removing the scissor gears.

Good luck with the buy.
              And, HELLO TLP??
              Why am I the only one answering
              ------------

Comment

I see wht you mean -- thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
                X