Disaster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster!

Having ordered and recieved my full set of Hammerit kit I had a slight change of plan and decided to have the frame powdercoated for a very reasonable 40. Took out the rotary damper and found a crack in one of the mounting points. So i'm off to the local Suzuki dealership to see what can be done - wish me luck
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die!

The best gift you can give your children is your time........ride safe

If God didn't want us to eat meat he would have made cows vegetables

What year is it?

Add your results to the spread sheet kept here too ... http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/crackedframe/
    "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Man, that must suck!
      Look at it this way though, at least you noticed it before it snapped.
      I don't even want to begin to think about what might have happened at 100 mph and CRACK!!!

I guess HammerIt saved your life

Sorry, I don't wish to make fun of your misery but if it had to happen, it's better to find this way than any other...
      If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=firebrick]
      Show Mods: HammerIt TLR/R Fairing, Tail and Undertail, Hugger and Fender * Custom

Comment

Your right Shuss hopefully Suzuki will sort it out. It,s a 1999 SX model with 12800 miles on the clock
        God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die!

Comment

How tight were the bolts?

I dread that happening, I wince and squirm and check mine after each ride. Not the bolts but the frame, I lockwired mine a long time ago.
          "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Even though that sucks bad! You could always just but an aftermarket shock on that doesn't use those mounting points!

Comment

I have a brand new Ohlins unit but prefer to go with the Bitubo if I can get the deal I'm working on in the group buy section.
              My big worry is if it's metal fatigue / something else gives up.

Bolts were tight.

Comment

You know it is not uncommon for them to crack there? Quite a few have, the other problem area is near the headstem, not as common though, I've got pictures if you want them.

Jeremy Adams had a swingarm fail, but besides the damper mount, the frame near the headstem and the one swing arm, I'm not aware of them breaking else where.

Comment

Speaking of headstem cracking...I was looking at the TLR frame on E-Bay with the steering neck snapped off. Well it got me thinking about how much that would suck, so I looked mine over. My heart sank when I glanced down and I see what appears to be a crack along the weld. I jump off and take a closer look. I was very relieved to see that it was just the way the weld looks. From my fabrication classes at school, I have learned that castings are very hard to weld. Aluminum is easier, but there are a lot of quality issues with cast alum. Enough with my bablings, just glad that mine is still solid.

Hopefully Suzuki does the right thing. If not, you now have an excuse to get a new rear coil over.
                  Don't know how it works? Take it apart and find out!

Pictures

Here's how it sounds.

Comment

TlsPilot,
                    I had the same thing happen to me on my '97 TLS. Just take it to your Suzook dealer, and they'll replace it for free, including labour.
                    Drop me a mail if you need any more info.
                    Cheers,
                    Chats
                    6 Piston Calipers, Braided Hoses, 5/8" Master Cylinder, LED GPI, Thermostat mod, 6 Spring Clutch, Grounding and Jarro + mods, Modified Air Box, K&N filter, Bitubo Shock, LED Rear Light. Powdercoated wheels, re-sprung and valved forks. Yoshi Titanium 2 into 1 exhaust, DID gold chain, 16/40 gearing, Coerce sprocket cover, TLR swing arm, RHA... (More to follow!)

Comment

was suzuki using cased hardend cream cheese on these frames?
                      Yepper, Still Alive.

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate!

That is just one of issues that is putting me off getting a TLS! its bad enough just worrying about the usual dangers of owning a bike let alone the horrible thought of the linkage snapping at high speed

Then you have the gearbox bearings that can just go with no warning what so ever costing an absolute bomb to fix

I hope when I get her I have no problems but i'm mr bad luck with regards to motorbikes/pushbikes
                        Ryan, ORIGIN: Irish - from the Gaelic 'Rigan' meaning 'Little King'. A Common Surname since the early 1940s. CHARACTERISTCS: Compassionate, Loyal and Trustworthy. Communicative, Often a good listener and equally a good Advisor. A great Purswader. Enjoys Close Relationships. A Caring Friend.

Knowledge Comes and Goes, But Wisdom Stays and Grows, Thats me (yeh right)
                        GT Arena - Home for GT5 Clubs & Leagues
                        GT Arena Q1 Events (Spaces Available)
                        GT Arena Garage
                        MojoMoto

Comment

As far as I'm aware Suzuki are still replacing the frames FOC. You need to contact an offical dealer. If you have problems let me know & I can find out the email address of the person at Suzuki UK.
                          Whoever puts their hand upon me to govern me is a usurper, a tyrant and I declare them my enemy.

Opinionated, passionate and proud to be Welsh.

Comment

Thanks guys but if you look at the date on the original post its last year. Suzuki very kindly replaced the frame FOC but I chose to put the bike back together myself as I have had the frame,subframe and swingarm powdercoated satin black. You can seeit in pics section.

Comment

Mine cracked on the headstock and both rotary bolt holes. I couldn't get a new frame because I had a salvage title so I sold it and bought a Yamaha I guess Suzuki didn't need my $8000 this year I would get a Bitubo and not have to worry about the rotary again.
                              Everyone dies but not everyone lives

Comment

Working...
                              X