Engine Gurus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Gurus?

Can you still play with the squish clearance if you install high compression pistons?
    SUZUKI V-TWIN RUMBLE GOTTA LOVE IT!
    TROOP SUPPORTER!

I'm no guru, but you can always play with the squish area. I have no experience with the TL and hi comps, but it might pay to check your squish anyway just to make sure you have some clearance.

That wanker motoman has a good write up on squish clearance.
    "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

About 1/3 down this page http://mototuneusa.com/the_factory_superbike.htm
      "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Is this guy for real. Do you know anybody who has tried any of this stuff?
        God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die!

The best gift you can give your children is your time........ride safe

If God didn't want us to eat meat he would have made cows vegetables

Comment

Just go and jb weld your ports up, she'll be right. I tried to spare all from his stuff and gave you the link to the page, and said to scan to about a 1/3rd of the way down

Anyone that good should be on the Honda GP or Ducati engine development team.

Did you find the rest of his stuff? http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Comment

The bit I looked at made interested reading but I have always been interested in FICTION
            As you say if it was that good any one of the factories would have snapped him up - so why havn't they
            God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die!

Comment

Doing alittle epoxy-ing on the intake side does produce good result's

As for the squish clearance----check before you doing anything, but generally you can still play alittle on the TL

Comment

Of course you can adjust the squish when using high-compression pistons. .9-.95 mm is good. 1.4-1.6 mm is stock.

Matthew

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tlrj
                  [B]Doing alittle epoxy-ing on the intake side does produce good result's

Do the factories/race teams do any of his stuff. If so fair enough. If not why not?
                  Personally I am not qualified to pass comment but sometimes can't help myself. I am always dubious regarding these sort of claims. I do try however to keep an open mind.
                  If altering the port with the epoxy is effective why is it not manufactured that way negating the need for the epoxy mod?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tlspilot
                    [B]
                    Originally posted by tlrj
                    Doing alittle epoxy-ing on the intake side does produce good result's

Do the factories/race teams do any of his stuff. If so fair enough. If not why not?
                    Personally I am not qualified to pass comment but sometimes can't help myself. I am always dubious regarding these sort of claims. I do try however to keep an open mind.
                    If altering the port with the epoxy is effective why is it not manufactured that way negating the need for the epoxy mod?

Stock vs modified

Comment

I still have an open mind about his stuff... I think valve size and cam lift and duration are important but not as much as the intake velocity, I've had port jobs done on a couple of car engines and never been really impressed, they did make the engine a bit peakier but no real power increase. I think increasing the intake velocity serves to keep a positive pressure on the back of intake valve rather than just relying on the suction caused by the piston, unless of course you use some other means ie blower or turbo, then in that case make the ports as big as possible. I've never pulled apart a motorcycle engine but as for the heads I've pulled off car engines it would appear that the greatest restriction is not the intake port but the valve itself.

Have you ever noticed how long the intake ports and piping to the airfilter are on modern cars compared to old style manifold/carby/airfilter setup. I know from experience that when you remove all the pipe work and replace it with a short piece of pipe and a pod filter you do lose a lot of midrange power tho you sometimes get a couple of hp more at peak (and a cool induction note), its all to with keeping the fuel air charge moving and pressurised in the direction of the chambers. With big ports and a short tract, the charge is almost at atmosheric pressure I'd imagine. With higher intake speeds reached due to smaller diameter ports etc, there would be a rush of fuel/air mixture into the chamber each time it opened.

Think about it this way an F1 engine makes around 800hp out of a 3 liters, a 3 liter road car makes around 150hp. Does that mean the intake ports on an F1 have to flow over 5 times more cubic air/fuel than that of the road car. I know there are a lot of other things involved and thats over simplifying it but I think theres a bit of truth in what he says, does anyone know for sure the specs on the intake ports etc of factory racing engines are they already doing the same thing, perhaps they always have. Are they really huge compared to a streetbike engine

Either way I'm not sure but like I said before I'm open to ideas, especially if there is some decent logic behind them. I dont have a degree in Fluid Dynamics so I'll never know but I'd love to get a spare engine and experiment.

Comment

Here another interesting point, if bigger ports equals more power then why dont they keep getting bigger each year, theres plenty of meat that can be taken out of an average port with a die grinder. Maybe its a compromise between usable power and peak power (keep in mind the selling power of "all new 180hp engine") We ride twins after all ... and we wouldnt be on them if peak hp was so important and actually meant something.

How about verify his claims this way. In magazine tests here in Oz the r6 seems to almost always come out on top in dyno tests, unless you count the 636 with its extra capacity. Yet he says the R6 has the some of the smallest ports in the class. So why not contact a reputable engine builder and ask him if they do have relatively small ports, if thats the case then maybe theres some truth to it and if this Moto guy is just a nutcase then opening up those ports should make the R6 a killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tlspilot

Hmmm why did my TLs come out with insufficient 4 potters, crap ignition and fueling maps, shit tyres, dodgy rear damper, crap steering damper too now I think of it, shit fuel pump gasket. Why do some ppl need to change to Barnett clutch springs and replace clutch cover o rings etc etc etc

I dont think the big 4 manufactures put that much R&D into their product, just what they have to in order to make it sell, Ducatis and Aprilias cost up to twice as much but I can't believe that the Brand status alone can draw that much of a premium, I wouldnt be at all surprised if the Japs have a better profit margin on their much cheaper priced products. Where does all the money go when you buy a Duc then. I know we can be quick to throw stones about Ducati electics and such but the TL's for example are far from faultless.

Jesus I'm ranting tonight. Sorry guys Johnie Walker Black and cola....

Blame Steve

Comment

You can still play with the squish, but you will also be increasing the compression in the process. This may or may not be desireable. It depends what your goal is and what your comfortable with.

Comment

Rupes

(you should have seen me typing the sproket post just now after a few udl's)

Comment

Working...
                              X