Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i buy a TLR?

Hi dudes
    im from singapore.I have seen a TLR and love it alot.i need some advise and comments from u guys.its a 99'TL1000RY.it has a low milage of 28,000km.condition is good but everything else comes stock.Stock dampers,shocks and evrything.
    1)what are the things i have to check before getting the bike?
    2)what are the equipmenst i need to change/modify after i get the bike to prevent any "tankslapping" as what most ppl call it.
    3)what are the matters i have to keep in mind when riding this monster?
    thanks a lot!!
    ohlins steering damper,ohlins rear shock,did x ring 530,motivation frame sliders,rocket throttle,LP carbon fiber clutch and brake levers,Yoshi SS full system,Teka,Jeff's TRE swtichable, aluimium alloy mash,radiator protector,scott oiler, Powerbronze windshield,denso iridium IU24A plugs, LP carbon tank protectors, good ridge SS brake and clutch lines,water wetter coolant,Afam +2 spocket, semi floating front disc, racetech rear full floater, pyramid CF rear hugger, MRA wind shield, K&N air filter, Joe v air box, swing arm sliders, Rear brake LED lights,rumble undertray.....more to come

Hey, I have a helmet named shoei

welcome bro

Yes, you should buy a TLR they rock!
    TLOTM:
    May 2003
    August 2004

Comment

HELL YES. just buy it, you will love it, check the normal shit like Steve said and you will be fine. I,ve noticed you aint been riding that long, and you sound a bit worried. is this your first litre bike, and if so maybe you need a bit more experience, and move up classes slowly.

Croeseo yr planet (welcome)
      A pat on the back is only a few centimetres from a kick in the butt

Comment

Re: should i buy a TLR?

1) Just your normal stuff you would on any other bike, leaks, tyres, chain, sprockets etc, nothing special to look for.

2) The TLR isn't as prone to tankslapping as the TLS was reported to be. If it has the OEM steering damper on it, it wont slap. A common mod is to replace the damper fluid with 2.5W fork oil to actually make it lighter.

3) A V2 sounds like a lazy engine, which means you often are going faster than what you think until it comes time to stop or turn.
        "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

hi Steve
          nice to meet u.im new to this forum.however, i have seen much incidents abt TLR having tank slapping incidents.is there a need to change the rear shocks or damper?
          whats the stock damper fuild too?thanks
          ohlins steering damper,ohlins rear shock,did x ring 530,motivation frame sliders,rocket throttle,LP carbon fiber clutch and brake levers,Yoshi SS full system,Teka,Jeff's TRE swtichable, aluimium alloy mash,radiator protector,scott oiler, Powerbronze windshield,denso iridium IU24A plugs, LP carbon tank protectors, good ridge SS brake and clutch lines,water wetter coolant,Afam +2 spocket, semi floating front disc, racetech rear full floater, pyramid CF rear hugger, MRA wind shield, K&N air filter, Joe v air box, swing arm sliders, Rear brake LED lights,rumble undertray.....more to come

Comment

I'm not sure what the stock damper fliud is, maybe honey? I'm talking about the steering damper. 2.5W in mine made it lighter, but still functional.

Plenty have replaced the rear rotary damper with an aftermarket shock, penske, ohlins etc. Ride it and see if you feel there is a need to swap it out.

I wouldn't say TLR's are prone to tank slapping at all. It's not common for them to do it.

Perhaps you have heard about the original 1997 TLS that got a bad reputation for tankslapping and they were recalled to have a steering damper fitted for free and all following models had them as standard?

Oh, and welcome aboard too

(This post will have a bit more feed back on it in a day or so once the guys in the States wake up and get back to work on Monday. )
            "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

hi steve.
              well is the orginal steering damper adjustable?
              what actually casues tank slapping?
              other than that,what common problems r there for thIs bike
              thanks!

Comment

Steering geometry is the main factor that causes a bike to be prone to tankslapping. To make a bike turn quickly you loose stability, increased stability comes at the price of a slower steering bike.

Other factors can contribute to it too, riding style, tyres and tyre profiles, incorrectly set suspension. The OEM steering damper is not adjustable. The TLR is not prone to tankslapping.

Just browse the forums, you'll soon work out the common problems, the clutch can be a problem on some but not others, the engines tick loudly, but if you have a Duc, you'll think it is quiet If you modify the air/box / exhaust you'll have to remap the FI. A common mod is the timing retard eliminator (TRE, search for it, heaps of info on here, it can give better throttle response and can help get rid of a second gear bog down that many experience.

Comment

Daylightsavings now has both SD and Ian posting before I did, hey Ian, how did you know what I posted before I posted it?

Comment

Welcome shoei
                    Yes get a Tiller.
                    Originally posted by TLCURT
                    Because TL's fucking rock.

It's a cult thing...to own one is to love one.

Comment

GO BUY ONE! Welcome!

Comment

hi and welcome

just go ahead and buy it.
                        early press reports on the TLS gave a false statement of tank slapping.
                        I have a TLR and it feels very stable with stock suspension and damper compared to my R6 which had to have a steering damper for sure.
                        take the TL for a ride and you'll fall in love with it.

good luck with your decision.

Comment

My TLR still feels rocks table with the forks through the triple clamp another 6mm and no damper fitted... the tankslapping rumours are baseless. I've had my bike, like most people, lifting the front while powering out of low speed hairpins etc, it never upsets the front end... The rotary shock on the R model wallows less than that on the TLS which helps to minimise the slappers.
                          Don't cha know the Yellow one's are fastest!

Comment

hi TL-R1000
                            u using the stock rotary shocks?

Comment

Originally posted by eurotrash
                              hi and welcome

just go ahead and buy it.
                              early press reports on the TLS gave a false statement of tank slapping.
                              I have a TLR and it feels very stable with stock suspension and damper compared to my R6 which had to have a steering damper for sure.
                              take the TL for a ride and you'll fall in love with it.

good luck with your decision.
                              what are the things i can change to imrpove ridability

Comment

Working...
                              X