Heat cycles on tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat cycles on tires

Does anyone know how many heat cycles a SuperCorsa (front) can take before it start getting bad?

I have been runing the one I have during one season, and a couple of trackdays. (not that many, 2 or 3?)

Can I keep it untill it runs out of rubber? or is the tire wasted already?

It is the front we are speaking of. Rear never make it to this point...

And, while speaking of tires. How long can I have my Rennsport tires lying in the cellar before the start to degrade? (lose performance)
    I was supposed to switch before winter, but never got to ride as much as planed.
    So the SuperCorsa will do for a couple of miles extra.
    TL1000R -99. Yellow/Black.
    M4 Full system(Alu), K&N Filter, TRE mod, removed Pair valve. Yoshimura clutch cover, removed Scissor gears, Carbon fibre hugger, carbon fibre rearhugger, HammerIt TLR/R fairings, Gilles Toolings rearset. Pazzo racing levers, shorties, Öhlins rear, Brembo front brakes, ET79 undertail, blah blah blah...
    ------------

I wouldn't use it for a track day but for street riding it should be fine and a little aggressive stuff. Just keep in mind what your riding on.

I have no idea what the shelf life of a tire is.
    RIP Ron
    Sept. 12 2004

Comment

Shelf life depends on how its stored. If its in a cool dry place it you could keep it there awhile. the Supercorsas are good for a few really good heat cycles before they start getting hard. Most of your average street riding doesnt generate the heat the tires were designed for so you should be ok. But mind state playes a big role also. If you are weary about them then change em and be done with it. Me I prefer the pucker method....ride them till I slide it around a corner and my butt hole puckers up....then its time for new tires...
      http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
      My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

Does anyone know how many heat cycles a SuperCorsa (front) can take before it start getting bad?
        there's no set # of heat cycles. it depends on pace, suspension tuning, riding style, etc
        Can I keep it untill it runs out of rubber? or is the tire wasted already?
        fronts, i dunno. i wouldn't tempt fate if i were worried about the front. keep in mind it's hard to recover once you lose the front esp. @ speed on the track.
        And, while speaking of tires. How long can I have my Rennsport tires lying in the cellar before the start to degrade?
        cool dry place in a garbage bag should be fine assuming you aren't letting it sit for years and it wasn't mad in the early 80's or anything
        AFM #715
        Suomy, Leo Vince Exhausts, Stompgrip, Sidi/Motonation, Lockhart Philips, Sonny Engineering, RK Racing Chains, AFAM

Comment

New info...

The Rennsports are stored in my cellar.
          Dry (not shaken, but stired now and then...), not cold, but not to hot either (heat cost money...).

They are, 1 year old in June -04.

Guess the SuperCorsas are keppers then. On my Bulldog...
          Oh, not sure if Im going to change both front and rear on TL, to my Rennsports. And put the Front SuperCorsa on the BT. And get the new M6 for the rear.
          All 4 tires on my babies are worn down.
          Damn! Don´t know how to afford getting them both through the anual motor vehicle inspection. Same month too on both

Anyone want a BT1177ccc
          I´ll give you a good deal. Special prize, only for you...
          M4 Full system(Alu), K&N Filter, TRE mod, removed Pair valve. Yoshimura clutch cover, removed Scissor gears, Carbon fibre hugger, carbon fibre rearhugger, HammerIt TLR/R fairings, Gilles Toolings rearset. Pazzo racing levers, shorties, Öhlins rear, Brembo front brakes, ET79 undertail, blah blah blah...
          ------------

Comment

Use that tire till its done !
            If its blue and kinda chewed up just take it slow at the track and wear it down to the good stuff underneath....
            Jack DeAndrade
            Bad Karma Racing

Comment

Originally posted by PutteLiten
              They are, 1 year old in June -04.
              No doubt they will be better stored and still younger than some that might be sitting on a rack in a shop exposed to sunlight, ozone, temperature swings and everthing else that degrades the rubber.

And they'll probably still be in better condition and younger than some that might be stored on the top shelf of the tyre warehouse too, then they'll get shipped to a shop and spend more time in less than ideal conditions.

They'll be right
              "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Maybe they should start selling tyres in foil wrappers like condoms, they last 7 years

Comment

Originally posted by rupes
                  Maybe they should start selling tyres in foil wrappers like condoms, they last 7 years
                  And then I have to throw them out
                  "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Maybe you could make balloon animals out of them or something.

Comment

here's one for the kiddies
                      2006 749 Ducati and a 1998 TLR-1000 track bike

Comment

for all you smokers

Comment

I need one more.....yeah 500

Comment

put those rennsports in a garbage bag and stick them into the freezer

or a cold garage will do heh, thats what I'm doing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve TLS
                              And then I have to throw them out

Good one Steve
                              ------------

Comment

Working...
                              X