tank repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tank repair

has anyone hear had dents pulled out of there tanks im wondering are there any side effects

im wonderin that myself, i have a ding in mine and it sux. n oclue how it got there
    Sebimoto Carbonfiber Bodywork, Zero Gravity D/B dark tinted screen, Carbo tech C/F frame guards, C/F look levers, black Spider grips, M4 Full system (alum), PC2, Light tech C/F mirrors, GeeLong C/F tank protector, 520 Conversion W/ Gold RK chain and 16/40 stealth sprockets, Pedros Gear Position Indicator, Fan switch, Airbox lid.....REMOVED, Probolt Fasteners all Gold. Spare Set of AMA's Larry Pegram #72 bodywork, Gold clear clutch cover, Galfer rear wave rotor, Pro-Tek Rearsets, Flycal6 quick release tank and seat pins, in the black frame club, Vandrivers coerce style sprocket guard, and a killer TLR keychain

Comment

thats not good my tank has about 2 good size dents, but the dent are like on the side an one on the top a friend of a friend says he can get them out for 25 buck, so im wondering the effects of having the tank repaired

Comment

some tanks can be blown out with an air compressor and a little bodymans plunger. if its small enough, i would leave it alone. try to talk with a paintless dent repair place for cars. they might be able to do it, but probably not

they are only single walled tanks, so there should not be any side effects

Comment

your tha man

Comment

thank you....

eventually you will know more about the tiller than you ever thought you would

Comment

i have a extra tls red tank with a scuff on the side about the size of a silver dollar....easy to repaint if you are interested.
              So?

Comment

Originally posted by horkn
                some tanks can be blown out with an air compressor and a little bodymans plunger. if its small enough, i would leave it alone. try to talk with a paintless dent repair place for cars. they might be able to do it, but probably not

they are only single walled tanks, so there should not be any side effects
                Be careful with compressed air route. I ruined my spare tank trying that method.
                Granted I have no experience with it, and maybe just fucked up. Basically the tank ended up getting really distorted to where the fuel pump area won't seal (and the dents never did come out )

Comment

In my experience, usually small dings can be filled, but dents will have to be pulled. You will want to use a bodyman's stud-welder and a slide-hammer to do the job. Start from the periphery of the dent and work you way to the middle. When you're done, grind off the studs, fill the imperfections, sand, and paint. Obviously, not all of us have the tools and skills to do this, so it's probably a good idea to take it to a professional (like I do)
                  It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a bad example.

Comment

Since youre asking about body work I can only assume that youre not experienced at it. If I were you I would take horkn's advice and go see a paintless dent removal place. they should get it out no problem unless its not a smooth dent( multiple contours or angles). if it is a really really small dent it will have to be filled. And since yourre not a body man, I strongly suggest against welding anything on or near your tank. just my 2 cents

Comment

most body shops should have a stud gun, it spot welds a pin to the tank then a special slide hammer fits to the pin and removes the dent. heat transfer to the tank is minimal, it has worked for me many times

Comment

Spot weld and pull method definately the way to go. then fill any imperfections
                        Retired the TLR for a Gixxer 1K. Sorry boys I sold you out

Comment

Using the paintless dent removal depends on where the dent is located. If it's on the top or near the filler, they won't be able to get tools inside to work the dent out. Dents on the side are easier to get to. Seen tanks come apart at the seems from using compressed air. I have heard of some using dry ice, but never had any success with it.
                          Common sense is not very common.

Comment

dry ice?

Comment

yeah, i have heard of dry ice along with blowing it out with compressed air. but i still would have a bodyman do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X