Engine Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Crack

On my other TLR, (B&W '99) the engine gave up and the gears exploded causing a hole in the case (see below!)

Can the cases be repaired or is it a skip (waste bin) job?

EX- Webmaster/Editor for the Suzuki Owners Club UK! Still a member though! ;-)
    www.suzukiownersclub.co.uk

gear pic

gear pic

Comment

Holy crap.......I dont believe the cases can be repaired. Even if they could would ya want to?
      http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
      My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

The case look's like a easy repair.. been punched and probably has a few stress crack's around it?... look's small enough that the weld heat zone would have no effect on the case part line as far as distortion goes...
        49 Sunbeam S7 deluxe - 57 Triumph TR6 Trophy- 68 Husqvarna MF250 Cross-68 Husqvarna MF360 Viking-71 Norton Commando Fastback-73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado-73 Kawasaki H2A 750-73 Ducati 750 GT-74 Kawasaki H2B 750-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail-74 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail -74 Norton Commando Roadster-77 Ducati 900 SD-81 Ducati 900 SD-86 Husqvarna 400 WR-98 Suzuki TL1000S-98 Suzuki TL1000S-07 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S-08 Suzuki DR780

Comment

I have worked on dirt bike (two stroke) cases with much worse damage than that. I think a good welder, and a little air grinder massage would make that case just fine. Hell of a lot cheaper than a new case or motor.
          mo
          '99 TLR, M4, Yosh remap, Box mods,Ohlins rear, Race Tech Ft., vortex clip ons, homemade pegs, custom paint
          '06 KTM 450 smr, '04 BMW R1150GS, '95 kx500 desert bike, '76 RD400 project racebike
          '71 Honda 400 supersport project, 60's Honda c90, '05 GTI, '81 Scirocco S, '93 F250 Turbo IDI

Comment

Yep, that can be fixed. A welder buddy of mine once told me,"if I can walk across that gap, then I can weld it closed." Meaning that he can fill in a gap, that is massively wide.

Are you sure that is the only damage though? The broken gear didn't damage any machined surfaces? I would have them cleaned in a parts washer and then get out a magnifying glass and look for cracks and damaged surfaces.
            Don't know how it works? Take it apart and find out!

Pictures

Here's how it sounds.

Comment

Shows what I know about repairing cases....
              http://media.damnfunnypictures.com/dfp/fg_14.gif
              My sig image busted the height and size limits.

Comment

What gear is that? 2nd and 6th? What gear were you in when it blew?
                "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

he must have had the turbo on

seriously, my hoda mt125 had a hole in its case bigger than that, and it was welded up.

Comment

need a motor

-

Comment

Actually, It was like that when I got the bike. I knew the motor was trashed, so didn't pay a lot for it.
                      The explanation was that he shifted down into 2nd from around 100mph and the back wheel locked up! He managed to pull the clutch in and cruise it to the side, so it was only the damage.

I am currently rebuilding the bike as a track only bike.

more pics

Comment

It looks like 6th and 2nd but I am not an expert on gears. NEdd to go through the microfiche and work out what I have got and what is missing!

Comment

oh yes, there is no other visible damage to the cases at all, and the halves mate well with no visible distortion.

I reckon I might get it welded. I can take some pics and let you know how I get on!

Comment

Hmmm, 2nd gear, the one I give the most torture to

You would have thought the clutch should have taken care of a bad downshift :dunno. The gearbox must have freed itself as he pulled the clutch because pulling the clutch on a locked gearbox wont allow the rear wheel to turn.

Maybe the engine locked up on the over-run? Pulling the clutch will disconnect a locked engine from the wheel and allow the wheel to turn again. And maybe the sudden engine lock up broke 2nd gear :dunno

Did the engine start and run after it happened?
                            "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

weld it....no probs
                              "Sorry Officer ! I thought you wanted to race"

Comment

Working...
                              X