New Look, finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Look, finally!

After doing some more modifications, Rifleman CCC , SV coils, new hugger (Pit-eck) GSXR-mirror mod, modified side caps, full headlight relays with the cut while starting and most obvious painted my frame satin black, I finally got it back running. I took it apart, took the engine out, painted my frame and reassembled. Had to drill out both front exhaust bolts that broke off.
    I must say that I'm very happy with the look myself (that's the most important ) but not so happy about the quality of the Eastwood Extreme Satin Black paint. The paintjob came out great, but the paint doesn't seam to be that chip resistant at all (next time powdercoat...)
    Also fitting the hugger took some cutting and drilling and is still not 100%, I may need to add some brackets in the front, we'll see.
    Anyway, here are the results:

sigpic
    Motorcycle Suspension
    Suspension Setup
    PM me for a hump saver safety cable

Re: New Look, finally!

i found the samething with the eastwood paint.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the paint, is it a spray can, or something that needs a gun?

What kind of prep work was done, did you use a metal etching primer?

Just looking for reasons it might be failing, obviously too late for you but maybe the next guy?

Anyhow could very possibly be crap paint to begin with.

And for a frame, I would definately go powder coat anyway, it does seem to hold up better than paint in some instances, and painting frames is a biotch
      Last edited by cb93cobra; 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

It's a spray can, Eastwood does not recommend to use an etching primer with this paint. Cleaned it, de-greased it, sanded it, cleaned again with acetone and painted it 2 layers (3 cans)
        Last edited by TLRChris; 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM.
        sigpic
        Motorcycle Suspension
        Suspension Setup

Comment

Originally posted by cb93cobra View Post
          obviously too late for you but maybe the next guy?
          Next guy? I hope not too soon, this bike should last me for a very long time

Anyhow could very possibly be crap paint to begin with.
          It's the paint for sure, I don't know what I could've possibly done wrong. The paint job itself looks really nice, it's just not chip resistant at all, maybe works better on steel with a primer. Called them for advice and on aluminum they said not to use a primer and not to use an etching primer with this paint, just clean it and paint it.

And for a frame, I would definately go powder coat anyway, it does seem to hold up better than paint in some instances, and painting frames is a biotch
          Painting the frame wasn't such a bitch, maybe prepping it and I agree on the powder coat, it just wasn't in the budget, about $350 vs $50 for paint. Maybe that POR-15 holds up better i don't know. There are some threads about guys that used Eastwood paint and they said it was holding up just fine .
          sigpic
          Motorcycle Suspension
          Suspension Setup

Comment

looks awesome chris, is that just a sticker dividing the front headlight

Comment

Originally posted by zedxten View Post
              looks awesome chris, is that just a sticker dividing the front headlight
              It's not a sticker, I filled it with fiberglass. If you look at your headlight you'll see a thin line going from the top outside to bottom mid. I followed that line and filled it. It all fits nicely over the headlight. I know some guys have used a sticker but wanted to try it like this. If you wonder, the light distribution is not affected at all, if you go in front of your bike when the lights are on you'll see it.
              The only picture I have at the moment:

Edit: here's the link to the mirror thread
              Last edited by TLRChris; 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM.
              sigpic
              Motorcycle Suspension
              Suspension Setup

Comment

shiny
                .sigpic
                "Use the present, create the future" -Pablo.

Comment

Originally posted by TLRChris View Post

It's the paint for sure, I don't know what I could've possibly done wrong. The paint job itself looks really nice, it's just not chip resistant at all, maybe works better on steel with a primer. Called them for advice and on aluminum they said not to use a primer and not to use an etching primer with this paint, just clean it and paint it.

Painting the frame wasn't such a bitch, maybe prepping it and I agree on the powder coat, it just wasn't in the budget, about $350 vs $50 for paint. Maybe that POR-15 holds up better i don't know. There are some threads about guys that used Eastwood paint and they said it was holding up just fine .
                  Nice Work Just hit again with some clear coats and the chipping should subside...after that hit it with two coats of Mothers glaze and Mothers wax number 26 and it will be all eyes on you!
                  Last edited by EbonyPrinceK; 06-12-2010, 12:18 AM. Reason: usage and spelling
                  "Owning the ultimate driving machine, Does not make you the ultimate driver"

PCII, Full M4 exhaust, Joe V Mod, Ivan's TRE, Top Gun Undertail, Pazzo levers, Fan & Headlight switch, Angel Eyes, Vandriver's TailRaisers & P.P., brake reservoir, MotoWerx clutch cover,YTZ14S battery, Rifelman's throttle insert, Full Bitubo supension, LED signal mirrors, Chucks headlight mod, Nobunaka rearsets, ss brake lines.

Wish list: Vandriver's Tripple Clamp!

Comment

It's not a sticker, I filled it with fiberglass. If you look at your headlight you'll see a thin line going from the top outside to bottom mid. I followed that line and filled it. It all fits nicely over the headlight. I know some guys have used a sticker but wanted to try it like this. If you wonder, the light distribution is not affected at all, if you go in front of your bike when the lights are on you'll see it.
                    The only picture I have at the moment:

Edit: here's the link to the mirror thread
                    kudos to you Chris, job well done on the fiberglass. i would consider that myself if i wasnt embarking on the projector headlight soon, i like the full look with that mod.

Comment

Nice work. Mirror/signal mod really cleans up the front. Cool work on the headlight too.

Comment

I was meaning the next guy that wanted to do something similar to their bike

Spray can products I can see not being too bad on a frame, using a full sized spray gun with a cup is a different story tho! Although the TLR frame does seem like it would be a bit easier than say an S frame with the tubes being smaller rounder and close together.

As for POR-15, I know some guys I work with have used it, seems to hold up well under hoods and inside vehicles, not sure about how it would do on it's own in the elements, UV tends to play havoc on some coatings.

Sorry couldn't be more help on this.

Comment

awesome job man. bike looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by EbonyPrinceK View Post
                            Nice Work Just hit again with some clear coats and the chipping should subside...after that hit it with two coats of Mothers glaze and Mothers wax number 26 and it will be all eyes on you!
                            Thanks for the tip, I'd be looking for a satin cleat coat, I wouldn't be able to handle the frame to be shiny too. I'll keep it in mind though.
                            (I have to something about the shiny exhaust it's just too much compared to the rest )
                            sigpic
                            Motorcycle Suspension
                            Suspension Setup

Comment

its almost the same like my project wchich Im working on it. ITS REALLY LOVELY

Comment

Working...
                              X