Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattle, rattle, rattle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rattle, rattle, rattle

    Hi all,

    Not had my 98 TLR too long and to be honest, I have really not even looked under the skin in the two months I have had it (other than drop the oil and change the rear pads) so not hugely familiar with them.
    Loving everything about riding this big old beast and now know why everyone says they are just so addictive!
    Anyways, back on subject. There's an annoying hollow rattle coming from the around the clock area. I can even hear it with ear plugs in and the un-baffles Harris race cans I have! Think I have narrowed it down to the headlight bulb holder but cant be sure. Now, on looking at the parts list, it seems the headlight is pretty much a sealed unit. Right or wrong? What holds the bulb holder in place and can I get to it to tighten it up. If not, any thoughts on how to pack out the freeplay. Might be way off track but just cant find anything else it can be. Only other thought is headstock bearings but haven't as yet got adaptors for my ABBA stand so cant tell for sure.
    Lastly, while I have your attention. Ideas for suspension settings please. I am around 75 kg, carry a pillion a fair bit, and ride fairly hard when solo. I have returned everything back to stock settings and will work from there.
    Cheers in advance

  • #2
    Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

    check the bolts on the front fender ( mud gaurd to the UK) they are sholdered and some times need to be shimmed as the plastic wears, grab it and see if it rattles just a bit , mine made a hell of a rattle. T.L.
    sigpic391 lbs or 177.34 kg LIST OF MODS ,The Short List ,The frame Is Stock.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

      I had a broken reflector in my old headlight that rattled.
      My build thread --->http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79793
      My suspension upgrade --->http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84704
      Plumbers and Pipefitters L.U. 441
      SAL/ALR Post 401
      Wichita, Ks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

        It is a sealed headlight housing.

        Check your guard, check the brake lines or that the wiring cables aren't slapping anything either.
        "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

          I had a rattle too. It turned out to be one of the screw tabs fro the black glossy inner fairing. The damn thing was flopping around, but some ABS cement cured the problem.

          As our bikes age, small tabs get broken, foam spacers harden, screws back out....it goes on and on.

          A thorough inspection really is required to find your rattle, but when you do, the silence IS golden. Get some grubby clothes on and crawl around under the bike.
          You do not talk about Fight Club....

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

            it is also possible for the center piviot of the reflector to come unseated although it would take quite a tap to do so as for resetting it no easy answer but if you narrow it down to that pm me ...best indicator would be excessive beam movement noticed best at night ...good luck hope you find something else causing you rattle
            age is a state of mind
            sigpic [IMG]
            ZG dble bbl, ss lines 6pots,Pazzo shorties ROCK!, Penske rear shock Lindman re-worked forks,custom (by me) dual HID Xenon Hi/Lo projectors Ultra-Violet halo's, LED sigs & plate lights, E G hugger,P M cyclone wheels, Rifleman 1/5 throttle,Van's Billet CCC, Galfer wavies, 6spring clutch Van's mod II Clutch plate, PCIII, speedo healer, and more...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

              Originally posted by CWBethel View Post
              it is also possible for the center piviot of the reflector to come unseated although it would take quite a tap to do so as for resetting it no easy answer but if you narrow it down to that pm me ...best indicator would be excessive beam movement noticed best at night ...good luck hope you find something else causing you rattle
              My riding buddies commented all the time about my old headlight flickering before I replaced it with another one.
              My build thread --->http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79793
              My suspension upgrade --->http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84704
              Plumbers and Pipefitters L.U. 441
              SAL/ALR Post 401
              Wichita, Ks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                which brand has the best spark plugs for a 2000 tl1000r, and wat brand of oil should i put in her

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                  NGK CR9EK for plugs

                  Safflower oil, it has better specs than canola or or peanut oil.
                  "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                    Originally posted by avinitboys View Post
                    Hi all,

                    Not had my 98 TLR too long and to be honest, I have really not even looked under the skin in the two months I have had it (other than drop the oil and change the rear pads) so not hugely familiar with them.
                    Loving everything about riding this big old beast and now know why everyone says they are just so addictive!
                    Anyways, back on subject. There's an annoying hollow rattle coming from the around the clock area. I can even hear it with ear plugs in and the un-baffles Harris race cans I have! Think I have narrowed it down to the headlight bulb holder but cant be sure. Now, on looking at the parts list, it seems the headlight is pretty much a sealed unit. Right or wrong? What holds the bulb holder in place and can I get to it to tighten it up. If not, any thoughts on how to pack out the freeplay. Might be way off track but just cant find anything else it can be. Only other thought is headstock bearings but haven't as yet got adaptors for my ABBA stand so cant tell for sure.
                    Lastly, while I have your attention. Ideas for suspension settings please. I am around 75 kg, carry a pillion a fair bit, and ride fairly hard when solo. I have returned everything back to stock settings and will work from there.
                    Cheers in advance
                    hi mate had the same problem, and its the bulb holder that had come loose in the headlight and was driving me made rattleing about at low speeds, what ive done for a quick fix is to squeze a piece of fuel pipe in between the bulb holder and the plastic headlight surround, problem solved,no more rattles,hope this helps.
                    Last edited by kicker; 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                      does anyone know why the bulb holder gets loose and starts to rattle about, what excactly is it that holds it in place?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                        Guys, have you seen how long ago this thread started

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                          Kicker = thread necromancer.
                          $20 grand and 20 miles don't make you a biker.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                            Originally posted by SkullCrusher View Post
                            Kicker = thread necromancer.
                            If only we could eh!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rattle, rattle, rattle

                              Originally posted by Rimotu66 View Post
                              Guys, have you seen how long ago this thread started
                              Was thinking the exact same thing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X