Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many TL owners ride with the air box lid off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many TL owners ride with the air box lid off?

Was told by a mechanic this robs power and performance? I need to know if I should stress about not having one. Besides the possibility of poor air flow, I can only see a problem with water hitting the filter if I wash the bike.

Your input is needed.

Re: How many TL owners ride with the air box lid off?

not me but i have cut the flapper valves off the air box like many others. I'd try and find a lid if i were you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut11 View Post
      not me but i have cut the flapper valves off the air box like many others. I'd try and find a lid if i were you.
      Looks like the air box mod has been done but, the lid is gone all together. Im looking now, just dont want to damage anything.If I knew a few of the "gear heads" wouldnt worry about it, I wont either.

Comment

mine is off. i was told the TL makes the most power with it off. could be hear say though.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
          mine is off. i was told the TL makes the most power with it off. could be hear say though.

Parting out TL1000R & S. PM me for parts!!

Comment

I heard peeps do it for the sound.

Comment

i dont think i would do it , there is my technical input

Comment

Originally posted by Skrpnch View Post
                I heard peeps do it for the sound.
                apparently RPM (Rons Performance) pull the lids off as that is how they used to run their race bikes. again this could be a story. mine is off and im pretty much tired of it. ill probably mod the lid and put it back on.

Comment

If you want to run with the top off then I suggest using a Pipercross filter.
                  sigpic

BBOTM January 2011

Comment

hot air = less dense air = less power

Comment

No Lid No pressure little or no vortex SRAD actually does work. It would also be very hard to set your fuel injection system up. Does sound PIMP though.
                      V4V
                      Last edited by "V"4VICTORY; 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

When mine was off the bike just had no power at about 100mph and would not go any faster. The air box mod is the best way to go IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by N2wheelies View Post
                          hot air = less dense air = less power
                          how does the air change temp between pulling it through the "ram air" ducting? doesnt more air flow from all around the frame and where ever else it can pull air in from?

Originally posted by "V"4VICTORY View Post
                          No Lid No pressure little or no vortex SRAD actually does work. It would also be very hard to set your fuel injection system up. Does sound PIMP though.
                          V4V
                          i was under the impression that yes srad does work but only up above 100mph where there was enough air to force into the box thereby increasing the top end hp.

im just trying to separate the fact from fiction. the facts i understand now come from a local engine builder that used to campaign a few tl's back when they were new on the track. allegedly even yoshimura via there tuning admitted to the airbox removal increasing power (along with their tuning im assuming)

Comment

Well I bought a top and installed it. Results are smoother and more power.

Comment

a good read about this

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...x-lid-off.html

Comment

Working...
                              X