damn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn

so i went for a rip yesterday with bunch of people and on our way back i decided to punch in a little.
    everything sounded great till around 8000rpm when i heard a rattle coming from the front cylinder.
    it sounded like there is a exhaust leak.
    i cant hear it when im crusing just below 4000rpm but after that it gets a little loud.
    i didnt take a look at it yet cause i came back late and had to go to work the next day.
    there is some power lose.
    so could that be a head gasket?
    if that was something internal i think i would not be able to go another 20km to get home.
    any ideas?
    what causes the head gasket to go?
    any ideas?
    it is kinda bad timing cause i have a big trip coming up in August,
    but i guess it is better that it happened closer to home than in the middle of no where.

thanks guys and girls

Last edited by konradR; 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM.

Re: damn

Pipes coming loose from the pair valve sound almost terminal check them they may have worked themselves loose
    If all else fails WD40 and a hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Jonboy View Post
      Pipes coming loose from the pair valve sound almost terminal check them they may have worked themselves loose
      thanks J
      never though of that.

Comment

+1 pair leak will make noise while riding.
        email me: [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/chucks.net

My Parts and Service Business

My Site

The TL1000 Section and my mods

Free ECU Mapping Here

TL FAQ

Comment

what causes the pair leak?
          back pressure?
          i hope this is it.
          when i get to it tomorrow i'll let you guys know what it was.
          just in case i ordered some gaskets.
          maybe i should get rid off the pair valves all together

thanks guys

Comment

Yes, remove them and make/ buy block off plates

My Site

Free ECU Mapping Here

TL FAQ

Comment

ok so i took a look at the pair valves, throttle bodies, changed the spark plugs, refitted the exhaust, found that i was missing two springs just after the cylinder so i put them in. so i though that it could be also the front sprocket wearing out so i took the cover off and the clutch cylinder but everything looked good.
              started puting everything together and when i was put the clutch sylinder back on i stripped the screw
              F%$%^ ing idiot
              so i couldnt test it if the noise is still there.
              but when it is ideling you cant hear it but when it is under load then it is a different story. after 4000rpms it starts getting noisy.
              i dont know
              i guess my trip goes to shit.
              any sugestion?
              what else could it be.
              when i get the parts i'll try it then after i put everything together.
              it seams that the noise is coming from the top end of the front cylinder.

any ideas welcome
              thanks

Comment

intake leak -check that your TB's are seated!

PS quit stripping screws & quit screwing strippers... uh one of those

My Site

Free ECU Mapping Here

TL FAQ

Comment

first of all take a deep breath. all is not lost. think very carefully and explain exactly when and where the noise is coming from. Is the bike moving when you hear it or can you hear it while not moving? etc etc. give us all the info you can. You may have more than one problem. Power loss and a 'rattle' is not a good sign. The power loss could be from a vaccum leak like suggested with the pair crap. Checking for a head gasket is pretty easy. If you can get your hands on a compression tester than its even easier. Are you low on coolant? can you smell the coolant? white smoke from the exhaust? cloudy oil level window? Did you get some shit gas at the last fill up? Lets get the easy stuff out of the way before were splitting cases.
                  K&N ~ full stainless yosh ~ flush front signals ~ ideal cycle undertail ~ russell stainless front and rear lines ~ Barnett clutch springs ~ cheesey ebay hugger ~ fuel moto ATRE ~ euro right hand switch ~ speed metal shorty levers ~ Joe V airbox mod ~ flapper delete ~ +5+10+5 (thanks chuck!)

Comment

ok
                    so
                    i cant hear the noise when the bike is not moving. when it is ideling no noise and even when i rev it up it is normal. only when under load when it is moving after 4000rpms you can hear it.
                    it is coming from the front cylinder, i think from the top end.
                    it sounds like a blown gasket.
                    i had empty coolant reservoir, but added some in and so far it is goog and no smell of coolant, no smoke from the exhaust, no cloudy oil level window, and i thought there is some power lose but it is not. it pools hard.
                    and the gas i put 94 octain so it should be ok.
                    changed the oil and there is no metal pieces or signs of coolant.
                    o yea and my spark plug was kinda loose i couls unscrew it with very little efford.
                    i didnt test it yet. tomorrow

tomorrow i'll check the compression on both cylinders.
                    yea so that's it
                    thanks guys

Last edited by konradR; 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

SO does it sound like PFFFFFT PFFFFFT PFFFFFT PFFFFFT? If so, consider yourself lucky, especially if it alwasy comes on with throttle.

If it sounds more like a rattle/clunk, and as it comes and goes it seems a bit more random, and sounds deeper than valves, then it's a rod big end, which is what everyone is afraid to say. Rod big-end failures are common on the TL. You can drive with a bad big-end for a pretty long time, but it damages the crank more and more.
                      It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

it sounds more like rattle/leaking gasket and it seems to disapear after like 6000rpms or maybe it is just me.
                        so where is that rod big end? pushing rods? me no mechanic
                        is it the top end cause thats where the sound is coming from
                        i got spear front top end so i might just swap it.
                        thanks camper

Last edited by konradR; 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

oooo i see what you are saying camper. ( kinda late at night and im getting slow )
                          the sound is not coming from below the top end.
                          and yes the noise comes up with the throtle just after 4000rpms.
                          there is nothing below that.

thanks

i'm going to bed

Comment

If your coolant bottle was empty, did you remove the radiator cap and check the level of the coolant in the radiator whilw you were filling the reservoir bottle?

How's you chanin and sprockets?

I doubt very much what you're describing is a head gasket.

Sounds like your describing a big end that is about to go to me
                            "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

the coolant was good in the radiator, it was full.
                              chain and the sprockets are good.
                              so what is this big end?
                              and what do i have to do to fix it?

thanks Steve

Last edited by konradR; 07-21-2010, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X