Electrical nightmares, TL Planet kept me sane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical nightmares, TL Planet kept me sane

Just a line to say thanks to everyone on the Planet. I have used your threads to fix the starter relay problems, find bad contacts in the blocks behind the front left indicator and many others.

Recently I started a trip from London to Barcelona to watch the MotoGP and broke down in LeMans. We stopped for lunch and afterwards I had a neutral light but nothing else. After hours in a French carpark I gave up looking for the fault, towed the bike to a bike dealer and went to Barcelona pillion.

I collected the bike a couple of weeks later in a van and started work in my garage.

First I found that taking off the side stand switch and bridging the contacts gave me power to the dash and the bike would turn over but I got a c41 fuel pump relay code. It all tested fine and the pump worked when wired direct.

Then it suddenly died again.

I found a thread answered by Steve TLS from 3 years ago that said to check the main earth. I followed the main earth from the - terminal on the battery to where it terminates on the engine, hidden behind the frame. The wire and contact to the engine were fine, then I noticed another black and white wire coming back from the earth point on the engine cases into the loom.

This wire has a connector in the middle of it which had melted itself together. Replacing this with a decent connector gave me power to the dash again.

The dash still showed CHEC but no fault codes and the fuel pump still wouldn't prime. Following the yellow and blue lead from the fuel pump relay back to the ECU I found an orange and white wire next to it which had pulled out of the ECU connector block slightly. I poked it in and low and behold I have a running bike!

I now have a minor problem in that the bike will not run with the side stand down at all, even in neutral, clutch in or out. I have solved this temporarily by unplugging the side stand switch and bridging the contacts so the relay always thinks the side stand is up.

So basically thanks to everyone who ever posted and answer to an electrical problem. Without you the bike would be an expensive paperweight!

Re: Electrical nightmares, TL Planet kept me sane

Originally posted by minitwin View Post
    Just a line to say thanks to everyone on the Planet. I have used your threads to fix the starter relay problems, find bad contacts in the blocks behind the front left indicator and many others.

Recently I started a trip from London to Barcelona to watch the MotoGP and broke down in LeMans. We stopped for lunch and afterwards I had a neutral light but nothing else. After hours in a French carpark I gave up looking for the fault, towed the bike to a bike dealer and went to Barcelona pillion.

I collected the bike a couple of weeks later in a van and started work in my garage.

First I found that taking off the side stand switch and bridging the contacts gave me power to the dash and the bike would turn over but I got a c41 fuel pump relay code. It all tested fine and the pump worked when wired direct.

Then it suddenly died again.

I found a thread answered by Steve TLS from 3 years ago that said to check the main earth. I followed the main earth from the - terminal on the battery to where it terminates on the engine, hidden behind the frame. The wire and contact to the engine were fine, then I noticed another black and white wire coming back from the earth point on the engine cases into the loom.

This wire has a connector in the middle of it which had melted itself together. Replacing this with a decent connector gave me power to the dash again.

The dash still showed CHEC but no fault codes and the fuel pump still wouldn't prime. Following the yellow and blue lead from the fuel pump relay back to the ECU I found an orange and white wire next to it which had pulled out of the ECU connector block slightly. I poked it in and low and behold I have a running bike!

I now have a minor problem in that the bike will not run with the side stand down at all, even in neutral, clutch in or out. I have solved this temporarily by unplugging the side stand switch and bridging the contacts so the relay always thinks the side stand is up.

So basically thanks to everyone who ever posted and answer to an electrical problem. Without you the bike would be an expensive paperweight!
    it only costs $10 to support the site, and imagine how many hours at $90+an hour your mechanic would have charged you to figure this out...

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyStyles View Post
      it only costs $10 to support the site, and imagine how many hours at $90+an hour your mechanic would have charged you to figure this out...

sigpic

Comment

Neutral light working when in neutral?

The interlock circuit isn't too hard to nut out.

Diode pack? Neutral switch? If the neutral light is working ok in neutral, then the diode pack might be faulty.

Click for a big one:
        "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Working...
        X