NEW: Help!!! Oil Drain Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW: Help!!! Oil Drain Bolt

Hey guys Iím new to tlplanet, read a lot of mods and post and love my "new" bike. I got it from a dealer about two weeks ago.
    Bike: 2000 TL1000R
    Problem: the last owner/shop stripped the oil pan bolt and it drips oil, I can tighten the bolt until snug then it goes loose again. Tomorrow I might take the bolt back out to see if the oil pan is stripped or if the bolt is. Really hope I can just buy a new bolt and call it good. But if not, what else can I do? Aftermarket oil pan? OEM? Please help a newb here.

Nate

Re: NEW: Help!!! Oil Drain Bolt

most likely is the bottom case, its soft i think aluminum and the bolt is hard steel. its also a hard piece to remove to re thread...

for the meantime, get a thick rubber o-ring and put it around your drain plug, this way it will be tight, before it gets to the end where it gets loose.

Comment

Originally posted by fIshaRneKed View Post
      most likely is the bottom case, its soft i think aluminum and the bolt is hard steel. its also a hard piece to remove to re thread...

for the meantime, get a thick rubber o-ring and put it around your drain plug, this way it will be tight, before it gets to the end where it gets loose.
      That advice has catastrophic engine failure written all over it. If something is stripped it may work loose enough to drop all your oil on the road.
      Looking for ETI fuel Cell or carbon bimota tank, and a rear seat for the TLR... PM me with those items.

Comment

Originally posted by nate.zirbel View Post
        Hey guys Iím new to tlplanet, read a lot of mods and post and love my "new" bike. I got it from a dealer about two weeks ago.
        Bike: 2000 TL1000R
        Problem: the last owner/shop stripped the oil pan bolt and it drips oil, I can tighten the bolt until snug then it goes loose again. Tomorrow I might take the bolt back out to see if the oil pan is stripped or if the bolt is. Really hope I can just buy a new bolt and call it good. But if not, what else can I do? Aftermarket oil pan? OEM? Please help a newb here.

Nate

well i found some info.... helicoil is the way to go m14x1.25....

Comment

If you bought it from a dealer 2 weeks ago .

It should be covered by a statutory warranty.
          www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
          But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

helicoil is a true repair

many auto shops have oversize plugs and taps to suit.

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.

Comment

IIRC it's the same size thread as the spark plug and it's real easy to find a helicoil kit for those.
              "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Colonel Jeff Cooper, in "The Art of the Rifle"

Comment

yea dont mess it up ( the helicoil repair) like I did, be SUPER careful!!!

in fact ( not to hijack the thread,) how can one fix a botched helicoil job? tap to a larger size and put a bigger plug? if so what size?

(good knowledge for me and this guy if he messes it up)

thanks!!
                Last edited by MoneyStyles; 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyStyles View Post
                  yea dont mess it up ( the helicoil repair) like I did, be SUPER careful!!!

in fact ( not to hijack the thread,) how can one fix a botched helicoil job? tap to a larger size and put a bigger plug? if so what size?

(good knowledge for me and this guy if he messes it up)

thanks!!
                  There are thread inserts that work just like a helicoil but are made of one solid piece of metal. Therefore they are slightly larger that helicoils. That might be a good option for repairing your problem
                  Looking for ETI fuel Cell or carbon bimota tank, and a rear seat for the TLR... PM me with those items.

Comment

Originally posted by rivnrev View Post
                    That advice has catastrophic engine failure written all over it. If something is stripped it may work loose enough to drop all your oil on the road.
                    thats true, i didnt mean ride it around like that (mybad), it will stop the leak while it sits in the garrage, you just put drain pan down and keep oil plugged with your finger while you put o ring on...

Comment

These are the best to use for thread repairs... http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html They are called timeserts. they are the solid one piece thread repair that your talking about

Comment

They are called timeserts
                        I consider timeserts a last option. they take the case to the last size possible.

I prefer to go helicoil first. when that fails you can do the timesert.

BTW most auto supply stores have oversize sump plugs for cars.

they are odd plugs just for the job and they hire you the matching tap.

Always use a new gasket when you change the oil . they really are a one use item.

Auto supply stores sell packets of them.

Comment

I'll buy in on this one, in a technical sense I won't challenge some on the more learned who post on the TL sites, but I think I've got something to offer on this one. My post " Small holes in dark places" went down the gurgler with other TL Zone stuff. It was relevant to this subject.
                          There was a guy from the States whose name I can't recall who was selling a kit to repair in this instance. Someone might be able to contribute in this regard??
                          Anyway, in the States, it is possible to buy an insert bolt that has a tapping type thread slightly larger than the stripped hole that screws into the existing hole , tapping a larger thread as it goes. In the centre of this there is a hole filled with a bung that becomes the new oil draining hole. The bung is turned with an allen key.
                          There is a complexity, the existing bung fits into a recess that protrudes up into the base of the sump - at the base of this protrusion, there is a hole through which all oil below the top lip can drain from the sump. Thus if a helicoil or the like is fitted , then the bottom centimetre or so of oil can never be drained. Seems to me, that is where most of the contamination is likely to sellte. Thus:
                          Mark on the base of the sump where the small drain hole is that drains the base of the sump.
                          Fit the new fucker whatever its called into the hole, tightening it to about where it will finally reside.

Put a mark on the head of the insert corresponding to the mark on the sump.
                          Remove it, work out about how far up the thread the hole would be when it is fitted, and drill through the side wall.
                          This insert thing then needs to be sealed in with best quality thread loctite which won't be effective in the presence of oil which seems to drip from the hole forever, so, gently tip the bike over and rest it on its side. Thoroughly clean out the hole, apply loctite to the thread of the insert - you should have used a crushable copper washer on this insert when doing your calculations - nearly forgot that!, apply a good coat of blue max (loctite) or some good gasket sealant around the base and firmly tighten the insert, letting it set.
                          The reason for the latter bit is that there are only about 3 threads of the insert below the hole drilled through it, and without using a good sealant it will leak from this weak spot.
                          Then basically every thing is back to normal or even better because for each oil change there is no weak aluminim thread involved, all oil can be drained and just to be sure, I use a 19mm spanner around the insert to hold it in place while the bung is removed from the centre.
                          This is a shit easy job to do, contaminates nothing, costs very little, is fairly foolproof, is a long term fix and will drain all the oil from the sump!!!
                          I reckon that putting it again on record is worth all the time taken to type this b.s.
                          Rockit

Comment

Originally posted by MR_TLR View Post
                            These are the best to use for thread repairs... http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html They are called timeserts. they are the solid one piece thread repair that your talking about
                            http://www.amazon.com/CTA-14MM-Spark.../dp/B002MARBDA

A worthwhile mod. This oversizes the factory threads and replaces it with a permanent knurled steel insert. One of these in conjunction with Van's oil fill plug, you will never have to worry again.

I have a co-worker with a TL who had a stripped plug. He used the timesert kit, with ease, and has had no problems since. I intend to do the same as a precautionary measure.
                            You do not talk about Fight Club....

Comment

sigpic
                              TLS for Supercharged.....................

TLOTM Nov 04, Bitchin' Bike Contest July 07, July 2010

PM Me for Help & Prices with GSXR/Busa Radial Fork Conversion Kits

Comment

Working...
                              X