Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i use my registration for a bike i just sold to someone out of state???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i use my registration for a bike i just sold to someone out of state???

i sold my tl1000r to get a stunter to mess around on for a while. he took the bike back to his state ny to title register and insure..meanwhile i still have to find a frame and title for the stunter. if they ran the registration for my bike would it throw up a flag somehow? i just wanna use the plates till i find a lean frame to use...i stay in pa

Re: can i use my registration for a bike i just sold to someone out of state

You can't file for a lost title replacement on the stunter; why? Was it recorded as unrepairable, or stolen? You certainly have no rights to use the title and frame number you sold! Why ask whether you can get away with it, when you know its unethical and illegal. The stunter frame number would not match your plates. Your title and plates should get invalidated when he registers his title. Would you get caught? I don't know, but I hope so.
    It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclecamper View Post
      You can't file for a lost title replacement on the stunter; why? Was it recorded as unrepairable, or stolen? You certainly have no rights to use the title and frame number you sold! Why ask whether you can get away with it, when you know its unethical and illegal. The stunter frame number would not match your plates. Your title and plates should get invalidated when he registers his title. Would you get caught? I don't know, but I hope so.
      Why yes its absolutely wrong...but i didnt ask you for moral support i asked would it show up..that was all i needed to know...the preaching i didnt need...its a forum not a church

Comment

Originally posted by cyclecamper View Post

What he said...

Comment

If you sold the bike why do you still have the plates for it? They generally go with the bike unless they are old and have expired tabs. I wouldn't do not only because the moral and legal reasons but the plates would be for a different bike, registered to a different owner. If the plates were ran it would show the legal owner and the type of bike the plates are for, bad idea and could lead you into a huge legal headache including your bike being impounded and loosing your license it's not worth it.
          01 TL1000S Mods: Always adding more. I'm tired of trying to keep this up to date

Comment

Go ahead, it'll work fine. Get a little buzz, stick your stash in your pants and go stunting on the street without any protective gear. When you get stopped, tell him the plates were for your old bike and remind him that your taxes pay his salary and that he can't search you. And if the guy you sold those title rights to comes to PA and puts a cap in your ass, it probably will raise a flag on his license in NY. So you're cool.

All I'm really trying to say is "Don't ask. No good can come of it." When you start thinking in terms of what you can get away with by being careful about state lines, you probably need to change the way you're thinking.

So really, is the bike stolen?

TLSMan, in some states the plates go with the owner and not the vehicle.
            It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

Comment

Short answer is no, you can't use them. You "can" I guess until your caught, then you'll be in trouble ranging from "not much" to "major".

Aint' worth it brother...
              sigpic

Comment

Yes, yes it would show up. Out here you'd be able to go straight to jail. Is the stunt bike stolen? Why the need for another frame and title?
                People not to buy from ...ckfrdrice...TeamDutch People that I have purchased things from that were great to deal with ...Vandriver, Sam, Ziggy999, TLMike, djkoenig, N2Wheelies, CalSportbike, ET79, S Winglet, Rifleman, Sully, Danny Never, h0ssman, The Ring-in. GhostMAFIA, Speedking...I know there's more...just can't remember everyone I've bought stuff from

Comment

Bad idea bro.

Comment

Originally posted by TLSMan View Post
                    If you sold the bike why do you still have the plates for it? They generally go with the bike unless they are old and have expired tabs. I wouldn't do not only because the moral and legal reasons but the plates would be for a different bike, registered to a different owner. If the plates were ran it would show the legal owner and the type of bike the plates are for, bad idea and could lead you into a huge legal headache including your bike being impounded and loosing your license it's not worth it.
                    Not here in WI (or any surrounding state). Plates are NOT registered to a bike. The bike is registered to the plates. You sell the bike and you can always register a new bike to the old plates. I think my current TLS is actually the fourth bike to use the same plates...
                    Frank Corona

Comment

Originally posted by BLAK BASTID View Post
                      i sold my tl1000r to get a stunter to mess around on for a while. he took the bike back to his state ny to title register and insure..meanwhile i still have to find a frame and title for the stunter. if they ran the registration for my bike would it throw up a flag somehow? i just wanna use the plates till i find a lean frame to use...i stay in pa
                      Yeah, you'd be flagged. Most of my friends with stunters will just trailer them around to private lots where registration is irrelevant. If you're planning on riding the streets you'll want to get a new frame & title first...if you're stopped, or in an accident, you'll be f*cked.
                      Frank Corona

Comment

Yes it will show up so "no"..... in short

non repairable, salvage title or stolen please clarify

Rich

"insert snazzy sig here"
                        sigpic

Comment

And keep in mind that periodically the police perform a major sweep at stunter parks and tracks and confiscate all bikes with hot frame numbers.

Comment

yeah def a bad idea... In NY you can keep your bike plates for showcasing (if you wanna call it that) but once it is sold or new plates issued the old plates are basically dead... I mean you could take your chances and maybe not get caught if they run the plates but I would not o it morally and illegally it is not ok. Just my .02.

Comment

On the street, Here in Long Beach all the police cars now have a computerized vision system that recognizes license plates and runs them silently, notifying the officers when it spots a "bad" one. So now it's not good enough to have a plate that "looks" OK, hoping the officer won't "run" it against the computer as long as you look legal. Now every plate the car's path crosses gets checked, no matter how conservative and law-abiding you may appear. Everyone gets checked.

Comment

Working...
                              X