Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interchangeable parts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interchangeable parts?

    Hello all,
    I recently picked up Neglected 99 TLR. She's missing the entire right front brake setup leaving only one brake rotor/caliper in the front and the rear.

    I was wondering, Do I need to find a caliper/rotor from another TLR or is there another Suzuki that I could use as a donor?

    Also I'm trying to find a rear seat but can't seem to find a Tl seat in my area.. Would a seat from say a GSX-R 1000 work?

    Thanks in advance

  • #2
    Re: Interchangeable parts?

    Gsxr 750s of the same era use the same 6 piston calipers. I think there is a Kawasaki that uses them as well but I don't remember which one. But I'm 100% on that gsxr thing. My friend is on his second 99 gsxr 750 and both of them used the same rotors pads and calipers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Interchangeable parts?

      Originally posted by Wingnut11 View Post
      Gsxr 750s of the same era use the same 6 piston calipers. I think there is a Kawasaki that uses them as well but I don't remember which one. But I'm 100% on that gsxr thing. My friend is on his second 99 gsxr 750 and both of them used the same rotors pads and calipers.
      Not true. GSXR rotors are the same diameter (320mm) but they are a different thickness. I wouldn't run one GSXR and one TL rotor. If you are going to use GSXR ones get a pair.
      1st gen Hayabusa rotors are the same as TL rotors, 320mm, 4.5mm min thickness.


      .
      Last edited by Sticka; 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM.
      Parting out TL1000R & S. PM me for parts!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Interchangeable parts?

        Originally posted by WISHOC View Post

        Also I'm trying to find a rear seat but can't seem to find a Tl seat in my area.. Would a seat from say a GSX-R 1000 work?

        Thanks in advance
        No. The TL seat is unique. Even R and S seats are different.


        .
        Parting out TL1000R & S. PM me for parts!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Interchangeable parts?

          Originally posted by Sticka View Post
          Not true. GSXR rotors are the same diameter (320mm) but they are a different thickness. I wouldn't run one GSXR and one TL rotor. If you are going to use GSXR ones get a pair.
          1st gen Hayabusa rotors are the same as TL rotors, 320mm, 4.5mm min thickness.


          .
          Thank you for that helpful information.

          Originally posted by Sticka View Post
          No. The TL seat is unique. Even R and S seats are different.
          That sucks! I've tried everything from local forums to craiagslist and I can not find one TL seat.

          Atleast now I know I need to find a R seat. Thank you


          .[/QUOTE]
          Last edited by WISHOC; 08-09-2010, 04:55 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Interchangeable parts?

            anyone know if there is a different wind screen that fits the R? any year gixxers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Interchangeable parts?

              Nope, as far as I know only TLR windshields fit TLRs.

              And whoever wants a TLR seat, there's usually plenty on eBay.
              It's about control skill; this is a motorized dance for joy and not Russian roulette.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Interchangeable parts?

                Originally posted by Sticka View Post
                Not true. GSXR rotors are the same diameter (320mm) but they are a different thickness. I wouldn't run one GSXR and one TL rotor. If you are going to use GSXR ones get a pair.
                1st gen Hayabusa rotors are the same as TL rotors, 320mm, 4.5mm min thickness.


                .
                Well my info only comes from my personal experience. But that tell me that my friends gsxr rotors also say 4.5mm min thickness that my tlr says. This goes for both the factory rotors that were on both of the bikes as well as the rotors we've replaced them with. I know his calipers work on the tlr because I borrowed them to see if I had a sticking piston in one of the calipers. I can't say for sure that from the factory the starting thickness is the same, but why would Suzuki use the same diameter rotor with the same min thickness and calipers, same zero offset and have them start out with a different thickness. To me that just doesn't add up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Interchangeable parts?

                  when i got mine, the previous jackass owner had 310mm rotors. ya, just imagine what that causes...oh, and he " got dem on deer cuz thez godl lookn and matchiz the chrom" his friend put them on for him, and they were loose, no thread lock.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Interchangeable parts?

                    The early SRAD GSXR's had 4mm min thickness, the later 4.5mm. K series GSXR is 4.5mm too. As for your 6 pot calipers, SRAD 750, Hayabusa 1st gen, ZX7 (96-00), ZX6-9 are the same. The colour can differ between the brands.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Interchangeable parts?

                      Originally posted by Wingnut11 View Post
                      Well my info only comes from my personal experience. But that tell me that my friends gsxr rotors also say 4.5mm min thickness that my tlr says. This goes for both the factory rotors that were on both of the bikes as well as the rotors we've replaced them with. I know his calipers work on the tlr because I borrowed them to see if I had a sticking piston in one of the calipers. I can't say for sure that from the factory the starting thickness is the same, but why would Suzuki use the same diameter rotor with the same min thickness and calipers, same zero offset and have them start out with a different thickness. To me that just doesn't add up.


                      TL on the left, 8 buttons from carrier to rotor surface, min thickness 4.5mm.
                      GSXR SRAD on the right, 10 buttons from carrier to rotor surface, min thickness 4.mm.



                      TL.


                      GSXR SRAD.




                      .
                      Last edited by Sticka; 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM.
                      Parting out TL1000R & S. PM me for parts!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Interchangeable parts?

                        Thats useful info. Do you know when they started using 4.5mm thickness on the srad gsxr? Both of the srad gsxrs my friend had were 99 750s and had 4.5 mm thickness rotors. I've never worked on or ridden a gsxr older than that so I can't say much about them. Thanks for posting the caliper info because I was too lazy to look it up.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X