TLR C/F Frame side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLR C/F Frame side covers

Im gonna try to make some molds to make TLR C/F frame covers.
    I created this thread so that other people can have some input/advice on how I should go about it to achieve the best & most practical result.

1. I have a bare frame to use.
    2. I've started to prep it (tidy up welds,etc..)
    3. See pic below of the basic outline on frame which will be covered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The more input the better as the job is very labor intensive so I'd like to get these molds right on the first attempt..

:

Re: TLR C/F Frame side covers

Originally posted by racrboy View Post
    Be careful with this design. Make sure that ALL holes are available as this cover will need to be removed if you need access to the shock, and such a large peice of carbon will most likely crack when pulling it off from the frame with double sided tape. In essence, it should be in 2 peices, 1 for the extruded frame, and another for the cast. The cast can be mounted with slim velcro.
    Racrboy, I've moved your post to here,as it raises a few good issues..

:

Comment

Dont know much about CF but I'll take some when they are done!

Comment

I'mm not convinced that 2 piece is the way to go. My main concern would be the join at the cast will always show and probably leave a lip. I have sold a few frame protectors for other models and they always come as one piece and i have never had a bad report back yet. Just my two pennies worth ($25c)
        http://www.zero-limits.co.uk

Comment

I think a one piece would be much easier, quicker & cheaper to make.

As for the shock mount holes Im not sure if I may block them off...

reasons for blocking off holes...
          1. would look better as you would not see any gray frame sections underneath.
          2. easier to fabricate without holes
          3. Most people would never need or want to access these holes mainly because they dont mass with their OEM suspension or they already have installed aftermarket shocks which would no longer use the access holes..

reasons against blocking off holes
          1.By any off chance a person wants to remove the rear shock after he has fitted the cover...

Thats all I can think of besides, that some people may just like the look of
          the holes better...

:

Comment

I love the idea, Van.

My thought: Is there any way to kind of flare it out just a lil bit to let air breathe thru to dissipate the heat that comes out at your legs? Just the small area at corner of seat, tank, frame. I've been trying to think of ways to divert the heat down and away from the rider and with this idea I think it may be plausible. May have to thicken the c/f a bit at the area of vent/flare.

Just a thought.

Comment

Just ride in the UK , Heat is never an issue!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RAT_on_a_TL View Post
                I love the idea, Van.

My thought: Is there any way to kind of flare it out just a lil bit to let air breathe thru to dissipate the heat that comes out at your legs? Just the small area at corner of seat, tank, frame. I've been trying to think of ways to divert the heat down and away from the rider and with this idea I think it may be plausible. May have to thicken the c/f a bit at the area of vent/flare.

Just a thought.
                Just get covers, do the fan mod, and wrap your exhaust. I dont have the covers yet, but with wrapping my exhaust and the fan switch, I don't have a problem.
                Mike Rock
                NESBA #506 '98 TLR
                American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

got any pics of the wrapped exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by Saabfan View Post
                    got any pics of the wrapped exhaust?
                    Not right now, and the bike is at the dyno, so I can't get any today. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow so if I remember I can take pics. Anything in particular you are looking for??
                    Mike Rock
                    NESBA #506 '98 TLR
                    American cycle performance MRP motorsports

Comment

2 peice is going to be less rigid and easier to remove. That way tou could cover the holes too. When you get a swingarm cover, let me know. I'll be first on the list.
                      sigpic

BBOTM January 2011

Comment

I put another 4 hours in today.

I had to modify the frame mostly around the edge's.I had to enlarge it a few mm by filling them in with filler. Reason for this is because the mold has to be made a few mm larger because this is going to be a wrap around cover all the way over the side & top to underneath the frame.

If I didn't do this the covers would have come out the exact size & shape as the frame making it to tight to slip over the contour of the frame.

Pic below shows most of the filled area's, about 70% has been sanded & smoothed out since this pic was taken.

:

Comment

Nice work and well thought out m8

Comment

Ok, so I finally got a bit of time for my self so I wondered down the back of the shed & decided to pull out that old frame & continue where I left off last time (almost a year ago)....

Anyway finally got one side reshaped & finished off ready to take a mold, If you look closely you will notice all the welds have been tidied up & reshaped & the frame has been widened by approx 4mm.
                            Just waiting on some gelcoat & wax to arrive. Hoping to crack out a mold by the end of the week or the next six month.......

:

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X