My First Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Bike

I am finally getting a bike and nothing better than a Tl1000R. 1998.

I am curious as to what is the best plan for upgrading. The bike i am receiving over the winter has upgraded pipes and a Commander 3. I am wondering what else would be a good plan to upgrade or invest in.

I know this has probably been asked many times and sorry about that. But i am new to the Motorcycle scene.

Thanks for all the help.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll Die Tomorrow"
    "If you're not busy being born, then you are busy dying"
    "I have Become Death, Destroyer of World's"

Re: My First Bike

Also i am looking for a good Headlight Upgrade.

Thanks

Comment

fit a TRE and a riflemans 1/5 and a ring-in clutch mod

then later think about upgrading the suspension. when you get familiar with the bike more
      www.cycleinnovations.com.au

It never ceases to amaze why people ask for advice then when I give it they either ignore it or argue against it.
      But then I don't know all that much about TL's

wwjd.......what would jimmy do.

Comment

I don't know what the problem is with the head light. I've seen people complaining about it. I've had a bunch of bikes. My tlr with good bulbs is better then any other bike I've rod. With it adjusted properly. I ride every morning in the dark to work a hour away. Some one is selling projectors for like 400. The only thing I'd do is put a clear lens on it. What is the ring in clutch mod?

Comment

1st upgrade should be some rider training. Invest in some gear.

TL1000R is definitely not a good first bike.

Quick Bike + Slow Rider = Slow Bike
          Slow Bike + Quick Rider = Quick bike

Your riding ability and learning curve are going to be way slow on the TL as a 1st bike Take it easy.
          "I spent most of my money on Scotch, women and cigarettes. The rest I just wasted"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve TLS View Post
            1st upgrade should be some rider training. Invest in some gear.

TL1000R is definitely not a good first bike.

Quick Bike + Slow Rider = Slow Bike
            Slow Bike + Quick Rider = Quick bike

Your riding ability and learning curve are going to be way slow on the TL as a 1st bike Take it easy.
            + 3000 on that. Tlr is way to much for a beginner. My wife has ben riding for three years and had a couple bikes. She is now riding a sv650. She asked me the other day when she can ride mine. Told her when I think your ready. My tlr is a hand full to ride compared to the sv650.

Comment

Originally posted by mudduck9 View Post
              ...My tlr is a hand full to ride compared to the sv650.
              Welcome.

Not to take anything from your thread, but just this a.m. I was thinking to myself that all the users on TL planet are either badazzriderz or I'm a p.. scratch that., but seriously:

You all put in 1/5 throttle inserts, TRE's, Superchargers, NOs, then jump into boring the engine out, and it is never enough.

The TLR is ridiculous as it is for the street. Brrrrrrraaaaap, and quickly things can get beyond the point of no return. I was thinking...

BEST MOD ON TLR: Adjust the nut between the tank and the seat. It is the weakest link.
              .sigpic
              "Use the present, create the future" -Pablo.

Comment

What he said
                Originally posted by evl tvn
                I'm on top of Pete, no worries
                ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by stiletto View Post
                  Welcome.

Not to take anything from your thread, but just this a.m. I was thinking to myself that all the users on TL planet are either badazzriderz or I'm a p.. scratch that., but seriously:

You all put in 1/5 throttle inserts, TRE's, Superchargers, NOs, then jump into boring the engine out, and it is never enough.

The TLR is ridiculous as it is for the street. Brrrrrrraaaaap, and quickly things can get beyond the point of no return. I was thinking...

BEST MOD ON TLR: Adjust the nut between the tank and the seat. It is the weakest link.
                  I agree!!! I was not talking about all that. My bike is bone stalk. Other than some van goodies and needed mods to stay on the road. I don't drive like a ass. My bike is a power house. Get on the gas it will Stand up or get well into the no no speed in a hurry. And they way a lot around 500lb. All I was saying is for a new rider they are a hand full to ride.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I do not plan to give it anymore power right now. I was more looking for what parts i should upgrade because they take away from the bike in performance not necessarily speed. The mods on it are the way it comes.
                    It is only 3K and is in my price range. Also it is from a close personnel friend who i trust more than anyone else. But i do realize the bike it a ton of power. I have been riding motorcycles, dirt bikes, quads for a good amount of time in my life and i realize that i have to take my time to learn. From what i can tell you need to respect the bike and realize it can hurt you if you do not. I think that is where a lot of people get into trouble, because they forget it is huge and powerful and can really hurt if not kill you and then an accident happens.

The headlights. I am wondering about making them brighter. If you say they are good i will leave them. I have not had a chance to see them in the dark will riding yet, obviously brighter is better, for the most part sometimes not.

Comment

Welcome to the board.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by mudduck9 View Post
                          I don't know what the problem is with the head light. I've seen people complaining about it. I've had a bunch of bikes. My tlr with good bulbs is better then any other bike I've rod. With it adjusted properly. I ride every morning in the dark to work a hour away. Some one is selling projectors for like 400. The only thing I'd do is put a clear lens on it. What is the ring in clutch mod?
                          I am half considering buying a projector set up. But I do agree when I switched to brighter after market bulbs, my lights worked great. Does anybody make the clear lens for our bike anymore?

Comment

I do not know about the shield, but i know i have been looking into the projectors myself. Maybe i do not need anything better than just some nice lamps.

Comment

When I got it on hi you couldn't see 20'. I adjusted them to ware I thought they needed to be. Then went to parts store and got some new bulbs. There a light blue tent. They are bright white in the dark. I have never had a bike with better lights. Get on a honda shadow or a boulevard. If you want to see some crap lights. They suck. I've had both.

Comment

Working...
                              X